TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 425 of 617 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427435475525 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,375 of 9245

Thread: The Brexit bottom line ...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,992 in 970 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Brexit bottom line ...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    Before all this, I genuinely wonder how much people were *actually* that bothered about the EU. It's been pushed to the forefront of the arguments now with lots of stuff being thrown around that's sometimes true, usually not and yet outside of discussions like this, where people tend to actually look things up to learn stuff...do people really know what they want or is it tribal?
    Of course. That's the problem with populism. It sells a dream that if only you could wave a wand of a particular ilk (stop immigration/leave EU/end capitalism/build a wall/tax the rich at 60%/exile jews) then you fix everything, or at least large chunks of everything. The common denominator for populist/demagogic positions however is a negative one. It's always about someone or something being to blame. Ergo, target the blamees and the blamers' lives will improve

2. The following 4 users liked this useful post by dodgy:

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,809 in 2,726 posts

Before all this, I genuinely wonder how much people were *actually* that bothered about the EU. It's been pushed to the forefront of the arguments now with lots of stuff being thrown around that's sometimes true, usually not and yet outside of discussions like this, where people tend to actually look things up to learn stuff...do people really know what they want or is it tribal?
    I'm quite sure we could have muddled by quite happily. But some idiot asked the question and on reflection, yeah, I'd rather be out.

NOW of course I may have changed my opinion somewhat. The EU have been so intransigent, so bloody minded and so determined to scuppper Brexit I am CONVINCED we need to get out while we still can.

4. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,765 in 1,874 posts

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Of course. That's the problem with populism. It sells a dream that if only you could wave a wand of a particular ilk (stop immigration/leave EU/end capitalism/build a wall/tax the rich at 60%/exile jews) then you fix everything, or at least large chunks of everything. The common denominator for populist/demagogic positions however is a negative one. It's always about someone or something being to blame. Ergo, target the blamees and the blamers' lives will improve
    It worked for Hitler.

Really Bored
    Liked 706 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I'm quite sure we could have muddled by quite happily. But some idiot asked the question and on reflection, yeah, I'd rather be out.

NOW of course I may have changed my opinion somewhat. The EU have been so intransigent, so bloody minded and so determined to scuppper Brexit I am CONVINCED we need to get out while we still can.
    I'm afraid Brexit has left the building.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 in 796 posts

What is true is that the biggest democratic vote in this country delivered the result to Leave.
    I felt on balance that we should leave the EU, having until not that long ago, but before pre the main treaties that expanded QMV, been moderately in favour of being a member.
    I now feel passionately that we should leave, and the reason that has gone from pros/cons balance to overwhelmingly so is because that's what the country voted for and I fear for the country if what was so explicitly promised with near-unanimity is not enacted.

Liked 4,842 in 3,237 posts

Coupled with the fact that our own government and parliament have been determined to scupper Brexit.

"This is your decision, the government will implement what you decide" they said. They didn't have to say that but they did. But having said it, if they were so determined not to carry out their promise, why didn't they just rig the vote? It happens in other corrupt regimes, why not ours?

Liked 2,345 in 1,291 posts

The EU have been so intransigent, so bloody minded and so determined to scuppper Brexit I am CONVINCED we need to get out while we still can.
    It doesn't really appear that way, if anything, most of the problems that have been encountered (rather like almost all of the problems we have anyway) appear to be of the homespun variety.

Liked 2,331 in 1,513 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    that's what the country voted for and I fear for the country if what was so explicitly promised with near-unanimity is not enacted.
    I fear we have been round this way before - the near unanimity of the promise was met with near perfect division of response. Your passion in favour of leaving is balanced with other's equal passion to remain.

11. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Liked 1,292 in 914 posts

There's only one thing left which we can do now.

Remain, adopt the euro currency, admid that we're all thick racists and form the United States of Europe and join the single European Military.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    There's only one thing left which we can do now.

Remain, adopt the euro currency, admid that we're all thick racists and form the United States of Europe and join the single European Military.
    Then take over the military and stage a coup.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,765 in 1,874 posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowsider View Post
    I fear we have been round this way before - the near unanimity of the promise was met with near perfect division of response. Your passion in favour of leaving is balanced with other's equal passion to remain.
    But, on balance, 52/48 the balance is in favour of leaving.

Liked 2,749 in 1,950 posts

It doesn't really appear that way, if anything, most of the problems that have been encountered (rather like almost all of the problems we have anyway) appear to be of the homespun variety.
    No, the problems are on both sides.

The overriding reason the EU does not want the UK to leave is because of money.

The overriding reasons the UK voted to leave the EU are for reasons other than money.

Liked 2,542 in 1,514 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    Coupled with the fact that our own government and parliament have been determined to scupper Brexit.
    Which conspiracy is it today? The one where the government have engineered a no deal that nobody wants; cancel/remain that nobody wants; May's deal that nobody wants?

Whichever one it is, the machiavellian manouvering has been stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post
    Which conspiracy is it today? The one where the government have engineered a no deal that nobody wants; cancel/remain that nobody wants; May's deal that nobody wants?

As I said up there ^^ If the government and parliament didn't want to leave, and they obviously don't. they should just have rigged the referendum like they do in other corrupt regimes instead of the charade we've been treated to over the last three years.

Liked 2,331 in 1,513 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefTrap View Post

Niccolo has a line for each player in this farce:
    "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men (s)he has around him"
    "Politics have no relation to morals"
    "The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present."
    “Whosoever desires constant success must change his conduct with the times"

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission