TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart home products.

Liked 976 in 426 posts

Default Re: Smart home products.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    We have one of the alexa dots, it's really now just used as an occasional radio, though it can also control the Hue light too, but that can be a bit hit or miss.

We've used the Hue lights for a while now and they are generally good but now the novelty has worn off they tend to get used as normal light bulbs now, we cant just get over turning the things off at the power switches which means they cant be activated any other way in the meantime. I do like them, if they were a tad cheaper I'd use them in preference to basic LED bulbs but theres no way to avoid the fact they are very expensive for the few occasions that we use the 'smart' functions.

I genuinely cant see the point in some of the more generalised internet of things connectivety, washing machines,fridges etc., but I can see that this tech might develop in the future to perhaps change that view, though possibly not in my lifetime.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,129 in 2,630 posts

I've got the Google home mini, occasional weekend use as a radio, and gets shouted out to find out who is thingy in whatsitcalled whilst watching the TV.

I'm not seeing any need to go out and replace bulbs, thermostats etc. with 'smart' devices.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 145 in 92 posts

My foray into the smart world hasn’t been driven by being tech geek. I wanted an Echo Dot asi thought it might be fun but more of a gimmick. Any real test of tech in my house is does the missus like it. Mostly she hates it. Can’t work it etc etc. The ED on the other hand she loves. The unlimited music is a huge help as it means she isn’t restricted to my music library. I was given an ED for Christmas and immediately saw the benefits, and bought a second in the Christmas sales for the big stereo. My thermostat was an old analogue lump of crap that had been installed when the boiler system was updated but was basically on, or off. So I updated that to the Honeywell system and have slowly extended from there. I have to say that the Evohome kit is superb, the fact it integrates with the Alexa system too is a bonus. The lighting is because we are renovating some rooms and updating as we go.

Liked 8,016 in 4,200 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
    I've got the Google home mini, occasional weekend use as a radio, and gets shouted out to find out who is thingy in whatsitcalled whilst watching the TV.

I'm not seeing any need to go out and replace bulbs, thermostats etc. with 'smart' devices.
    The thermostat with an app makes a lot of sense for a lot of families. Our heating is set on a 5/2 timer and being able to adjust that when away from home is brilliant from both a convenience and economic sense. Downside is if its cold, the wife remotes in and puts the heating on for the dogs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission