TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Windows 10 update and printer problems

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,424 in 1,644 posts

Default Windows 10 update and printer problems

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Anyone else had, this?

Long story short version.

Updated W10, now printer wont work. Tried all the HP help and software tools but it still wont work. Printer is HP Envy 5644.

Originally W10 had printer as default and offline - totally unable to get it online. Much rebooting (W10, printer, router), uninstalling, reinstalling and faffing about it is now installed, NOT default, and apparently bereft of drivers. W10 wont do anything with it (no drivers) and tells me to go to HP which gives me a tool that fails to install it.
    I have wasted 4 hours of my life on this and am not making headway.

Any ideas apart from pitching it out the window?

Liked 56 in 45 posts

Default Re: Windows 10 update and printer problems

We often have the same dilemma with Win10 and out HP Envy.
    Only fix seems to be delete the printer and then run HP Print and Scan Doctor which reinstalls software.

3. The following user liked this post made by V8-Powered:

Should Get Out More

Quote Originally Posted by V8-Powered View Post
    We often have the same dilemma with Win10 and out HP Envy.
    Only fix seems to be delete the printer and then run HP Print and Scan Doctor which reinstalls software.
    Been there, done that, several times. No fix.

Liked 1,137 in 658 posts

The last 2 weeks of Win10 updates have seen some major fuck ups, data being deleted and other things (check the IT news sources for more info). I'd rollback your update and wait about a month before trying to update it again.

6. The following 2 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:

Liked 1,439 in 1,007 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    The last 2 weeks of Win10 updates have seen some major fuck ups, data being deleted and other things (check the IT news sources for more info). I'd rollback your update and wait about a month before trying to update it again.
    like an idiot I went actively looking for latest updates last & this week. If I open too many tabs in Edge it completely crashes my laptop...

Have HP Envy 4504. Just tried it & it's fine. However, during a rebuild earlier this year the drivers for it came via MS-actually I think from within their own app for new printers/ default etc. And I have forced the Windows updates....

8. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Liked: 1/1

Had same problem, uninstalled printer, reinstalled using windows drivers sorted it.

10. The following user liked this post made by Revvin Kevin:

Liked 4,905 in 3,064 posts
    Blog Entries

Had the same problem. It renamed my printer somehow. So look for other printers and you will find the new name. Make that one your default.

12. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Should Get Out More

Another update last night - still the same problems

Tried uninstalling printer (and deleting all it's drivers), reinstalling, using all the HP 'fixes' and 'solutions, using MS Windows ditto.

Printer is now installed, but tells me it doesn't have drivers. And neither MS nor Hp seem able to help. Printer is working (local test print), it will scan, but not print.

Liked 23 in 11 posts

Going to assume you have tried the "HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows", available on the HP website but, how do you connect to the printer, WiFi, LAN or direct cable connect? If one of the former can you still ping the printer? If not that may be the issue, an update has knocked out the settings and will need to be put back in. Default options for printers (even in this modern age) is to set them up on an LPT port even when one doesn't exist

15. The following user liked this post made by Jack:

Liked 1,439 in 1,007 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    Another update last night - still the same problems.
    One thing I noticed about both of these win updates is that they didn't seem to need a reboot. However, come restart it's doing the 'xy% installing updates thing'.

Same old then. Delete the bastard, run the clean up, reboot the bastard, start all over again. As said I used Microsoft's own add a new printer thing on my laptop & as fond as I usually am of getting everything drivers off the manufacturer's own sites, when I rebuilt the office PC I was in a hurry & just let windows find & do the lot.

BTW I'm pretty sure our Envy has only ever been connected to using the wifi. It's the entire reason we bought it. Actually this has been a fit & forget kind of printer-1st one ever.

Should Get Out More

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Going to assume you have tried the "HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows", available on the HP website but, how do you connect to the printer, WiFi, LAN or direct cable connect? If one of the former can you still ping the printer? If not that may be the issue, an update has knocked out the settings and will need to be put back in. Default options for printers (even in this modern age) is to set them up on an LPT port even when one doesn't exist
    It's wifi all the way.

Yes, used the Print and Scan Doctor, and another HP Installation Failure Utility that gets offered when everything else fails. Still useless, and currently escalated to a 'team in HP' who are looking at my problem. And probably 10,000 other problems that people on the HP Forum are bitching about. The co-operation between major hardware manufacturers (HP, Canon, et al) and major OD manufacturers (MS and Apple) seems pretty dire. Anyway HP may contact me for specifics, I am not holding my breath.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission