TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Routers

Not Much To Do
    Liked 145 in 92 posts

Default Routers

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Can someone recommend me a good router? Many moons ago I sold my soul to Apple and in doing so bought a TimeCapsule. This has been my steady WiFi spot ever since. However Apple have stopped making TCís and more specifically the ones that backup and sort the WiFi network.

Now Iíve always steared clear of BT/TalkTalk etc routers as Iíve burnt a few out and they tend to not have enough grunt to get through an old school thick brick wall. Are modern ones better? I have a heavy WiFi drain of tech around the house so need something that is going to last. Donít mind paying for a good one.

Currently with talk talk on a 5/6 year old one.

Liked 6,246 in 3,576 posts

Default Re: Routers

I use Dreytek at work, had one as my home router for years.

Probably a bit feature rich for home use in reality.

Liked 587 in 327 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I use Dreytek at work, had one as my home router for years.

Probably a bit feature rich for home use in reality.
    Draytek routers and Unifi (Ubiquiti) APs for me.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

Drayteks are fine, we used to use them at work (we now use Ciscos)

Liked 1,685 in 1,004 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
    Draytek routers and Unifi (Ubiquiti) APs for me.
    I looked into the Ubiquiti Access Points for my home wifi needs and sadly they are not a good match for the Sky Hub I have as (according to what I read) they both want to deal with the DHCP settings. I opted for BT Wholehome Mesh system which has worked really well since it was installed. I bought two two transmitter set ups and combined them, we now have a AP on each floor and I can walk from floor to floor with full coverage.

I have had to reboot each transmitter once or twice since install but int he main they are very stable and the kids have stopped moaning about having 'no wifi'.

6. The following user liked this post made by Silly Car:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,075 in 659 posts

The new BT routers seem to offer pretty good coverage now, whereas I'd still stay well clear of the TalkTalk ones.

Our signal has to get through very old school 4ft granite walls so I've run ethernet cables externally from the routers to a PoE switch in the storeroom that then connects 6 Ruckus access points to cover the house, garage and outbuildings.
    All works very nicely now.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 145 in 92 posts

Thank you all for the replies. I realise now that I should have been more clear, having looked at prices for the Draytek ones, I'm happy with perhaps £50-60, although can see the benefits of getting a better one that is designed for home use.

Is the Mesh system worth it? We are planning on converting our loft eventually and the wifi struggles in the back bedroom as it is.

Liked 1,685 in 1,004 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newfish View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I realise now that I should have been more clear, having looked at prices for the Draytek ones, I'm happy with perhaps £50-60, although can see the benefits of getting a better one that is designed for home use.

Is the Mesh system worth it? We are planning on converting our loft eventually and the wifi struggles in the back bedroom as it is.
    We get full signal everywhere with four bases, probably would get the same with three bases but it worked out at £30 extra for the two x two packs versus a triple pack. Prior to the mesh, we’d get 50% signal or less in the basement, ground floor where main router was full coverage, first floor was 50% signal, 2nd floor / loft 25% signal.

Our house has 9” solid walls and more redundant copper pipe work and cabling than on the Titanic which won’t have helped. I can’t wait to pull it all out as it’ll be worth a fortune!

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Silly Car:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Newfish View Post

My experience of Mesh networks is that you can be amplifying interference, I've had better experience with the ethernet over mains devices - the expensive BT ones are the best of these that I've tried, and seperate APs work better than combined powerline/APs, but if a cheaper set up works for you then good, I can only speak from my personal experience in some fairly harsh wireless enviroments.

12. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 1,439 in 1,007 posts
    Blog Entries

I have a collection of older Netgear Routers upstairs. They all still work & they have been much more solid than ISP provided ones too. Had years out of them. Worst of the ISPs have all been talktalk or before that AOL branded ones. The Sky one we have right now has been solid too, but the stupid thing has only a pair of ethernets in the back & no USB at all.

I've been meaning to utilise this stash to fling the wifi about here, but haven't looked into how to do it. FWIW my bro put one single extender (dunno what but it's very neat-just looks like one of those timer plugs in the wall's power socket) into our mum's house (BT Hub) & that's flung it everywhere there.

Liked 1,200 in 849 posts

I had a Draytek router designed for SOHO use but found it wasn't worth the high price, most of the advertised extra features were rubbish.
    I bought a Netgear nighthawk a few months ago and it's been great, I've changed from using a few APs connected by powerline to just the one unit that reaches the whole house.

15. The following user liked this post made by Mussels:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission