TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Website for a small business

Liked 435 in 214 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Website for a small business

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Before anyone asks I HAVE done a search , the results of which were quite useful, but I'm looking for up to date info please.

I work for a small building & restoration company and we are expanding so we want to get a website published that will showcase our previous work and enable us to put up photos of projects that are in progress. We don't need to sell anything through the site but we do want people to be able to see what we do and contact us via e-mail. Initial thoughts on content in no particular order are:

• What we do
    • Completed work (before and after)
    • About us
    • History
    • Work in progress
    • Contact/enquiries (with an "info@ our company name.co.uk" email address)
    • Photo gallery (possibly)

With this in mind, what are our best options for such a site? Website hosting, domain name registration etc.? Should we go to a one-stop shop where we can register the company name as a domain and use their site building software? Or are we better off registering the name at one place and then going to another to host it and keep it secure etc? The owner of the company is an ex-graphic designer so has plenty of ideas on how to make it look good but neither of us are massively tech-savvy so it needs to be something we can do between us. There isn't a huge pot of money to give the task to a web design company either. Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
    Just to add, I saw a review on Tech Radar that said InMotion Web hosting was rated their best overall but I'd like to hear what the wisdom of TRC has to say too.

Liked 2,235 in 1,342 posts

Default Re: Website for a small business

I designed a website for a similar-ish small company, with similar requirements, a looong time ago. It was designed using Dreamweaver and it ended up on (what eventually became) tsohost as the host. tsohost has been pretty cheap and reliable enough - these were fairly low spec requirements, mind - we weren't expecting masses of hits; there was no eCommerce needed; no huge amounts of content to download; I wasn't really bothered about 'attacks' because there was nothing much there to attack. I'd recommend tsohost because it's been painless rather than because of masses of features, performance, security etc.

I'm not sure I'd do it in Dreamweaver again - I did it like that because I sort of knew what to do and I was bored. If I did it again now I'd probably use one of the countless diy website creation services as most of them are plenty good enough until you want to invest in something bespoke. This one looked good for example https://www.squarespace.com/ Again not a recommendation a such but I had a play and it seemed fine, certainly more straightforward than proper programming.

Liked 1,137 in 658 posts

If you want full control, look at something like squarespace and do it all through that. You may pay a little more for things like domain management, but you'll be utterly in control and not have to deal with one-man-band web-devs who might not prioritise your site the way that you think they should. ( ).

Your domain should be your company name (pick something funky, please ) and make sure that before you register the company (too late??) you get the domain name registered in your name.

It's still true that a .co.uk or a .com domain is the most likely to be found, so you need to try and get that particular purchase. Try to avoid hyphenating the domain name too.

Even if you register the domain elsewhere, you'll be able to point the website traffic to wherever you're hosting the site.

Re emails: set yourself up a Gmail account and within the domain management interface you'll be able to point several different addresses ( address@domain.ext ) to your gmail account and then also you can setup gmail so that it replies as 'address@domain.ext'. (I've not done this, but I know it's possible.)

Make sure you setup a 'catch-all' account for all the spam and junk that will be generated and sent to "randomshiteaddress@domain.ext".

Liked 435 in 214 posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks chaps. I like some of the templates on squarespace and the pricing looks reasonable too. Any opinions on the InMotion link I put in my original post? Our website will be simple and un-cluttered with menu buttons across the top of each page rather than a fancy, hover-over reveal that seems to be appearing on a lot of sites lately. The focus will definitely be on content rather than trying to have the latest slick-look website.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission