TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Windows XP and networking

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Bobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wigan :(
    Posts
    10,823
    Like
    2,092
    Liked 1,099 in 726 posts
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Windows XP and networking


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Yes, I know, I'm onto a hiding to nothing with this, but I need a spare pooter and have a spare XP one, so off I go.

    My computer will quite happily talk to my sky fibre modem directly, but not through a wired router. Any suggestions (other than stop using XP)? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    14,011
    Like
    879
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Have you plugged it into the correct port on the router

    A bit more information might be useful, such as how are you connecting to the router, if it's USB then it's probably different USB versions

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,361
    Like
    2,871
    Liked 1,137 in 658 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Holy cow, kill it, kill it with fire!

    I know you said you didn't want to hear it, but please, for the sake of your own sanity, install a modern OS on the poor thing and make your life easier.

    It's not just that XP itself is unsecure - but it'll open up the network so that all your other machines become vulnerable.

  4. The following 3 users liked this useful post by RiceBurner:


  5. #4
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,191
    Like
    2,185
    Liked 2,085 in 941 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    What make/model is the laptop and more specifically it's NIC speed i.e. is it 10/100/1000 Mbps? If the ports on the router are set to 1000 rather than auto-negotiate and the laptop NIC is only 100 you won't get connection.

    Any status lights on the router or NIC port?

    What does IPCONFIG show?

    What does the NIC properties how in control panel?

    What router is it?

  6. The following user liked this post made by Derek Badger:


  7. #5
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,191
    Like
    2,185
    Liked 2,085 in 941 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    If you need XP for legacy reasons, spin up a VM of it hosted on a modern OS.

  8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Derek Badger:


  9. #6
    Should Get Out More KorkyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anarchia
    Posts
    16,285
    Like
    0
    Liked 1,974 in 1,235 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Convert to one of the Linux Distros and box in XP using Oracle VB.

  10. #7
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    15,628
    Like
    4,133
    Liked 2,425 in 1,644 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Holy cow, kill it, kill it with fire!

    I know you said you didn't want to hear it, but please, for the sake of your own sanity, install a modern OS on the poor thing and make your life easier.

    It's not just that XP itself is unsecure - but it'll open up the network so that all your other machines become vulnerable.
    [sarcastic mode] Yes, get Windows 10, you get automatic updates and they will never,ever fuck up stuff for you, you will be ultra-secure. It will just stop working, but very securely. [/sarcasm]

  11. #8
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    15,256
    Like
    362
    Liked 6,246 in 3,576 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Microsoft made a version of XP for retail.

    It's a version of Windows XP for Embedded systems called 'PosReady 2009'

    It's still supported until 2019.

    You can actually fool Windows Update into thinking your copy of XP is PosReady 2009 and you will still receive security updates from Microsoft.

  12. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:


  13. #9
    Should Get Out More Editor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    23,988
    Like
    9,393
    Liked 1,439 in 1,007 posts
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    [sarcastic mode] Yes, get Windows 10, you get automatic updates and they will never,ever fuck up stuff for you, you will be ultra-secure. It will just stop working, but very securely. [/sarcasm]
    deleted my earlier reply as obv of no interest. But that, whilst with an element of truth esp in the earlier runs, really isn't true so long as you clean installed it in the 1st place.

    IMO best version ever of windows was 7. Now that I would use-if you could manage to tell us, or them if your prefer, what's inside the PC that would assist. But it will run on both my old towers because I have a drive I put 7 pro 64bit onto.

  14. #10
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    14,011
    Like
    879
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    deleted my earlier reply as obv of no interest. But that, whilst with an element of truth esp in the earlier runs, really isn't true so long as you clean installed it in the 1st place.

    IMO best version ever of windows was 7. Now that I would use-if you could manage to tell us, or them if your prefer, what's inside the PC that would assist. But it will run on both my old towers because I have a drive I put 7 pro 64bit onto.
    The best version of Windows was Windows 2000, everything worked on it and it wasn't full of useless bloat

  15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:


  16. #11
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,191
    Like
    2,185
    Liked 2,085 in 941 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The best version of Windows was Windows 2000, everything worked on it and it wasn't full of useless bloat
    It earnt me a lot of money as a contractor rolling that out to replace Win95 and Netware 3.11.

  17. #12
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    15,628
    Like
    4,133
    Liked 2,425 in 1,644 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    The best version of Windows was Windows 2000, everything worked on it and it wasn't full of useless bloat
    I had W2000 Pro on my last desktop. I remember I had an argument with a lady at Dell who kept telling me I didn't want that, I wanted W98.

  18. #13
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    14,011
    Like
    879
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    It earnt me a lot of money as a contractor rolling that out to replace Win95 and Netware 3.11.
    Me too

  19. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:


  20. #14
    Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    1985
    Posts
    14,011
    Like
    879
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    I had W2000 Pro on my last desktop. I remember I had an argument with a lady at Dell who kept telling me I didn't want that, I wanted W98.
    No you wanted Windows Me - the barstard offspring of 98

  21. #15
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Down in the Duchy (at last)
    Posts
    15,628
    Like
    4,133
    Liked 2,425 in 1,644 posts

    Default Re: Windows XP and networking

    Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    No you wanted Windows Me - the barstard offspring of 98
    You are right about the Windows Me, but also wrong, I did NOT want that bastard child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission