TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devon Freewheelers (DFW) Blood Bikes - Aviva Community Funding

At Work
    Liked 448 in 294 posts

Default Re: Devon Freewheelers (DFW) Blood Bikes - Aviva Community Funding

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Their payment is the chance to indulge their fantasies!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,721 in 1,027 posts
    Blog Entries

I bought a T shirt with this design (The Great Ramen off Kanagawa) from threadless.com but it got stuck in customs and never turned up.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,424 in 1,644 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dazzle View Post
    I bought a T shirt with this design (The Great Ramen off Kanagawa) from threadless.com but it got stuck in customs and never turned up.

Wrong thread.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,721 in 1,027 posts
    Blog Entries

Was wondering where that went

5. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Mr. Dazzle:

Liked 70 in 36 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Might be a daft question, but do you get paid for doing this ? Or just expenses ?
    Nope its voluntary, if I do a long run, London for example I get a meal allowance. We have fuel cards for the bikes and cars.

7. The following user liked this post made by Mountain 300:

Liked 70 in 36 posts

Sorry for the delay in replying, its been a busy night. All bikes grounded due to the horrendous weather which means that there are only a few of us authorised for the cars.
    Last edited by Mountain 300; 09-11-18 at 23:53.

Liked 70 in 36 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Probably an element of what we do is urgent and could wait until next day. But the more urgent stuff would either require a taxi (say on a busy Friday night!) which would be non auditable and not have a spill kit onboard, or require a front line ambulance or police car to be used. Should the NHS need us? No, but as we live in the real world and not a utopian paradise, I'm more than happy to help the NHS save some wedge, especially as it gives me a reason to go and ride the bike.

By the way my personal view is that the bikes shouldn't be fitted with blues and twos, but that's another argument...

One of the regular runs I used to do was to pick up bloods from home dialysis patients - I don't know the specifics, but I'm told that us doing it on time and being reliable was what made them able to use dialysis machines at home rather than having to plug in at a hospital.

We also have a deal with the Air Ambulance - if they need plasma we get it to them. Apparently that makes a difference, although again I'm not sure on the specifics.
    Blue light runs currently not done on bikes. The Air Amb is whole blood now 3/4 times a week and I think that is on a cost recovery deal. The home dialysis is only for folk who don't have complications (this is from Lotty as she was a dialysis) , it does not matter if you are at home or in a dialysis unit the blood sample collection is the same.

10. The following user liked this post made by Mountain 300:

Liked 2,834 in 1,470 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain 300 View Post
    Blue light runs currently not done on bikes. The Air Amb is whole blood now 3/4 times a week and I think that is on a cost recovery deal. The home dialysis is only for folk who don't have complications (this is from Lotty as she was a dialysis) , it does not matter if you are at home or in a dialysis unit the blood sample collection is the same.
    Yeah used to do bloods from both home and the kidney unit. The kidney unit one used to annoy me a bit, it's 1/2 mile from the local hospital (with a path lab), but as it belongs to a different trust we ended up taking the bloods 15 miles (so a 30 mile round trip) to a different hospital. Annoying NHS inefficiency - but that's for another thread.

My view on blue light runs - I'm not interested, did one years ago and discovered that people react astonishingly unpredictably when presented with blues and twos - we're on bikes, chances are we can get through anyway. Personally I'd prefer the bikes to be unmarked (but still liveried iykwim), but I get the reasons why others disagree.

12. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Liked 1,137 in 658 posts

FWIW, there's 4 different blood bike charities in that list. I'm sure they could all use whatever help they can get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission