TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Filtering - Do you?

Really Bored
    Liked 343 in 226 posts

Default Re: Filtering - Do you?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    .. And while I’m having a good old moan, I include...
    Surely the list must be longer than that?

Re undertaking, I do it from time to time if there's a stationary queue, if it seems the best or only way to keep moving and I can do it without for example entering a prohibited bus lane or a cycle lane bounded by a solid line. I do it cautiously, but of course all filtering needs to be done with care.

Liked 159 in 112 posts

I do filter but do not take risks to do it (f*ck I'm getting old) and do not have the mentiality that I must pass everything in sight.

E.g, motorway traffic at 30mph above, I'd hold position and go with the flow until it slows/stops. (Likewise about 15mph for urban stuff). When I do filter my speed is only a few mph above crawling traffic or at around 15mph through stationary traffic. I find that this way, I know I have room to act if a motorist closes a gap or decides to jump lanes etc without looking. I also find, it gives motorists a chance to see me coming in the mirrors and generally most of them give me more room even if its not needed.

Here in London on the A3 for example, I see riders tearing past traffic thats crusing at 60mph, weaving through all the lanes at some serious speed where you don't see them until the've gone past ...... that is just asking to be wiped out in my book.

3. The following 5 users liked this useful post by DSK:

Liked 549 in 331 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    i don't think zagreb knows what to make of me
    To be fair, neither did London

Liked 2,271 in 1,107 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
    To be fair, neither did London
    They loved me .
    one little touch whilst filtering in traffic jam on a1 on way to the farmyard party .car decides to squeeeze me .my pannier must have left a huge mark .

6. The following user liked this post made by MrTack:

Liked 730 in 418 posts

Like most two wheel users I filter but if I didn't I would never get to work. LiFe can get interesting when doing so though and like many I have numerous almost had me days but lady luck and good obs generally keep me the right way up but sometimes people really do the unexpected and cause me to renew my underwear before the end of the month. Fast forward to 3.55. Truck was pointing at lane 2 and lane three in front of him was clear. I know the road well use it everyday. Ignore any possible traffic violations the camera is faulty.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dd42967yy...5_006.MOV?dl=0

Liked 2,597 in 1,700 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    They loved me .
    one little touch whilst filtering in traffic jam on a1 on way to the farmyard party .car decides to squeeeze me .my pannier must have left a huge mark .
    Not long after starting biking, I was sat in a queue. A moped went last down the white line. Then a scooter. "I'll have some of that!" I thought. Nothing coming, so off I went.

One car coming the other way, gradually moving over towards me. "Hmmm, he's trying to scare me." Bang. Somehow I carried on, then pulled over to check. Both crash bars were bent back! With traces of red paint ...

9. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

DSK

Liked 1,542 in 903 posts

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    Like most two wheel users I filter but if I didn't I would never get to work. LiFe can get interesting when doing so though and like many I have numerous almost had me days but lady luck and good obs generally keep me the right way up but sometimes people really do the unexpected and cause me to renew my underwear before the end of the month. Fast forward to 3.55. Truck was pointing at lane 2 and lane three in front of him was clear. I know the road well use it everyday. Ignore any possible traffic violations the camera is faulty.
    And then runs the red light.

Liked 1,525 in 944 posts

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post

Left hand drive truck? Or special needs driver? Damn that was a bit too close. Your slow and steady speed allowed you to live another day. Could have climbed the kerb though...

Liked 356 in 224 posts

Yes, but only if traffic is stationary or moving at walking pace, and I never filter up the inside though occasionally I do filter down the centre, otherwise, I try to only filter down the outside, if at all possible.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 750 in 440 posts

Some food for thought for the 'of course I filter, why wouldn't I' folks.

In London, filtering going wrong kills almost half of all bikers...

...that's around five times more fatalities than the classic SMIDSY with the emerging driver.

(BikeSafe Met figures from a few years back but I doubt they have changed much)

14. The following 4 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission