TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Filtering - Do you?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Default Re: Filtering - Do you?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Keeping in mind that if there's a gap, then the car has somewhere to go.
    GAPS=TRAPS

No Surprise

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Almost half of all bikers who are killed, I hope that means.
    Yep, sorry... sloppy writing

The last year for which I had figures was, off the top of my head, 2014. There were just over 50 fatalities in London. So whilst we're not likely to get squished on our daily commute it's important to know where to pay attention.

3. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Really Bored
    Liked 474 in 361 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bladez View Post
    Do you always filter down the center isle when traffic is stopped in both lanes on a dual carriageway?

I rarely ride to work as i need to take quite a few things with me for my job, but many do and sometimes i see them only just miss the cars they pass.
    Most of the time only if traffic is stationary or very slow moving, except when the centre aisle has concrete barriers. In that case I filter between lanes.

The only reason I use bike in London is to avoid congestions.

Handle with care. Two days ago scooter in front of me got pushed by golf. Scooter was riding in the middle of two way London street. Golf sitting in stationary traffic decided to overtake a car to position better the single lane was forking in two lanes at traffic lights ahead and there was empty space (GAP TRAP? ) in the right lane at the red light. Unfortunately the golf lady moved in abrupt fashion without looking and no signal exactly when the scooter was at his front door. Has thrown the poor scooter and the guy on it into the opposite traffic lane. Luckly there was no opposite traffic at the time. Still biker down.

Yesterday myself almost got wiped out when a van parked between parked cars decided to go without signal. This time there was opposite traffic. It was so close that I had no escape route or any chance to stop. Luckily the van was facing my way and the van guy saw me and stopped with half way van out leaving me a tiny wee space just to pass. Sometimes is just pure luck...
    Last edited by Val; 17-11-18 at 15:00.

Liked 1,287 in 818 posts

Quote Originally Posted by inewham View Post
    I always assume that if there is a gap someone will try too change lanes into it and only pass happily between 2 cars. I go very cautiously between a car and a 'gap'
    Its helped avoid a few near misses
    Same. Wait until they are along side another car then do it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Liked 2,880 in 1,892 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Yep, sorry... sloppy writing .
    You're not the only one. I saw an article which claimed that a quarter of people driving for work were killed in crashes every year. Made me fuggin careful in year 5.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Liked 1,301 in 621 posts

I filter everywhere. I keep my eyes very open and act like the most paranoid thing you can imagine. When filtering everyone is waiting to kill me. It serves me well, or at least has done so far.

The more I drive to work though the more I realise how invisible we are.

And so, loud cans save lives.

9. The following user liked this post made by fingerpuk:

DSK

Liked 1,252 in 884 posts

I filter everywhere, up on the back wheel, making it everyone elses responsibility to look out for me. And if a car makes a move where they reasonably don't expect to see me come past the inside of them at 90mph in a 50 zone, I'll have a go at them about how it's their fault and then post the Go Pro footage onto youtube, asking for people to comment on how decent my riding is and how that it's everyone elses fault.

Liked 1,252 in 884 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Yesterday myself almost got wiped out....
    Almost?

Shame...

At Work
    Liked 84 in 72 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rsw46 View Post
    Always - if there's room! Although saying that I did have a bit of an incident once where I forgot I had panniers on going through a tight gap and clipped a VW, but they're only soft panniers and there was no damage at all. The guy was ok with it after checking there was no damage so I just apologised.

I do wonder how some guys filter in London on R1200GS's with panniers on though!
    Saw some really diabolical filtering by one near Stamford Bridge; dragged his pannier against the rear panel and door of a car and was a good demonstration about how not to do it. When I was level with the car he was ranting about my 'mate' damaging his car. I told him to report him to the police for damage and I was waiting back as I expected him to do something worse any moment.

If I was to generalise about riders who crash it would seem to be youth and/or small scooters.

Liked 565 in 336 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Almost?

Shame...
    You think it's a shame he didn't get wiped out?

That says a lot about you...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

I was just peeling off into the services at Beaconsfield to meet a trainee at the weekend, doing 70 m'lud as I left the M'way and a pair of supermoto things with ridiculously noisy exhausts went past me like I was standing still... not just lane-splitting at silly speed, but weaving back and forth through the middle lane variously using the gaps between lane 1 & 2 and lane 2 and 3...

...which would have been pretty poor riding if one of them hadn't had a 7-8 year old kid on the back of his bike.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Handle with care. Two days ago scooter in front of me got pushed by golf. Scooter was riding in the middle of two way London street. Golf sitting in stationary traffic decided to overtake a car to position better the single lane was forking in two lanes at traffic lights ahead and there was empty space (GAP TRAP? ) in the right lane at the red light. Unfortunately the golf lady moved in abrupt fashion without looking and no signal exactly when the scooter was at his front door. Has thrown the poor scooter and the guy on it into the opposite traffic lane. Luckly there was no opposite traffic at the time. Still biker down.
    That was EXACTLY the scenario that caused a fatal crash described on the BikeSafe course I took back in 2002 or thereabouts.

The rider was doing about 5mph when the collision happened and the bike toppled sideways... the scratch on the rear of the car where the bar end hit it was about 3" long. The impact with the road broke the ball-end off the brake lever, bent the rear brake, broke a couple of indicator lenses and put a scratch in the exhaust.

The rider went straight under an oncoming car... they scraped him off the road about 20 metres behind the bike.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission