TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why, oh why, oh why, do car makers put the battery right at the back of the engine?

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 2,559 in 1,527 posts

Default Re: Why, oh why, oh why, do car makers put the battery right at the back of the engin

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    To be fair it's not an everyday servicing task is it?
    True, but you don't expect to have to take the engine out to change a sprocket.
    He also has an EXUP engined Bimota that has access issues.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 4,905 in 3,064 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why, oh why, oh why, do car makers put the battery right at the back of the engin

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    each rear wheel has to come off to replace the 6 spark plugs. Ce la vie (f)or vorsprung durch technik... Job's lined up for xmas
    WTF is the engine ?

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,722 in 1,027 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    WTF is the engine ?
    Something like a Porsche 911, rear engined flat six.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 37 in 24 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    Battery's in the front below the centre of the windscreen, each rear wheel has to come off to replace the 6 spark plugs. Ce la vie (f)or vorsprung durch technik... Job's lined up for xmas
    Porsche of some sort? My 986 can be done with the wheels still in place, but its still a two hour job.

Liked 432 in 290 posts

Yep, 986. I have access to a pit and was under the impression it was easier with the wheels off?

btw I have a colgan bra for the 986 for sale if you're interested.
    Last edited by GreenMachine; 10-11-18 at 13:11.

Liked 916 in 389 posts
    Blog Entries

At a wild guess. Safety in a head-on smash? So the battery is protected a bit more and doesn't cover things in acid?
    Like I said, just a wild guess.

7. The following user liked this post made by hawker:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,722 in 1,027 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hawker View Post
    At a wild guess. Safety in a head-on smash? So the battery is protected a bit more and doesn't cover things in acid?
    Like I said, just a wild guess.
    You gotta put it somewhere and you've got to bolt it down well enough that it doesn't go flying as you say. Not so much the acid as the 20kg lump of lead that's the problem! There're generally more substantial things to bolt to at the back of the engine bay than there are at the front....

Also from a handling and general performance point of view you want to mass to be as close to the middle of the car as possible.
    Last edited by Mr. Dazzle; 10-11-18 at 12:11.

9. The following user liked this post made by Mr. Dazzle:

Liked 1,127 in 538 posts

Porsche Cayenne. It's under the passenger seat. You have to slide the seat fully forward, unbolt the rails, tip the seat back, unbolt the cover, and there you have it. Unfortunately, the seats only slide electrically, there is no manual option, and you can't get at the bolts unless it's fully forward. The handbook actually says if the battery is flat and you want to change it, attach a power pack to the jump start points, or use jump leads from a running vehicle.....

Liked 2,802 in 1,396 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Under the driver's seat in the Transit. Much easier, unless there's a bulkhead. Then it's tedious unless you take the seat out.
    Got to admit that I've not found anything easy about the battery being under the driver seat, even without a bulkhead!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mussels View Post
    In my Transit the battery was located under the electric powered drivers seat, can't see any problem with that.
    Small benefits of having a 'DIY' version

Liked 8,016 in 4,200 posts

Picasso has the battery under the passenger seat. Thought I was going mad when i couldn't find it under the bonnet or in the boot. I remembered the original Beetles having it under the back seat so looked there to no avail and went and googled it.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,746 in 1,855 posts

I'm still looking for the service setting for the SLK's bonnet, but I think Tiepin is tugging my ballbag on that one, the cheeky scamp.

Liked 4,905 in 3,064 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    I'm still looking for the service setting for the SLK's bonnet, but I think Tiepin is tugging my ballbag on that one, the cheeky scamp.
    Thicko

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 3,746 in 1,855 posts

Hoax. Why would Thierry Henry know anything about cars?

Liked 1,127 in 538 posts

Quote Originally Posted by skatty View Post
    Porsche of some sort? My 986 can be done with the wheels still in place, but its still a two hour job.
    Three and a half hours to do a plug and coil on a Cayenne. That's what Porsche quote in labour. It took me considerably longer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission