TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Recommend me VPN software please

  1. #1
    Not Much To Do Mountain 300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    335
    Like
    100
    Liked 70 in 36 posts

    Default Recommend me VPN software please


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    As the title says. I want to use it on 4 bits of kit.

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,233
    Like
    2,247
    Liked 2,152 in 964 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Might help if you supply a bit more info.

    What are you trying to achieve? Surf anonymously? Avoid geographic IP restrictions? Connect to your network when offsite? What OS do the 'bits of kit' run?

  3. #3
    Not Much To Do Jazoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Lake District
    Posts
    652
    Like
    66
    Liked 48 in 35 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    I use NordVPN and its been great with no issues, makes searching for hitmen and buying drugs off the Web so much safer.

  4. The following user liked this post made by Jazoli:


  5. #4
    Not Much To Do Mountain 300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    335
    Like
    100
    Liked 70 in 36 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    Might help if you supply a bit more info.

    What are you trying to achieve? Surf anonymously? Avoid geographic IP restrictions? Connect to your network when offsite? What OS do the 'bits of kit' run?
    Windows 10, surfing whilst away from home network.

  6. #5
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    21,591
    Like
    1
    Liked 3,719 in 2,154 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    A boing for this.

    I'm snouting about for one, don't mind paying, but am wondering how I know it's doing it's thing and not leaking data?

    Linux Mint, either Firefox or Chromium. Mostly for being sure that my financial details don't get intercepted when on unknown networks. I don't mind having another browser as there'll not be much traffic.

  7. #6
    At Work
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,579
    Like
    541
    Liked 542 in 352 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    I was told Pure was one of the better ones.

  8. #7
    At Work formula400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North London N2
    Posts
    1,315
    Like
    101
    Liked 278 in 108 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    i use IP Vanish, $10 a month, simple and seems to work.

  9. #8
    Should Get Out More
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A windswept Hebridean paradise.
    Posts
    21,591
    Like
    1
    Liked 3,719 in 2,154 posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    I went for ExpressVPN in the end. 80 at current exchange rates for 15 months. Very easy to set up on Linux Mint, and very unobtrusive.

  10. #9
    At Work
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,447
    Like
    719
    Liked 383 in 231 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    nord vpn currently have %75 off on their 3yr plan which makes it $2.99 per month

  11. #10
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,151
    Like
    5,700
    Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Struggling to see the value of these things for private use.
    Access - I use corporate VPNs when accessing customer networks - traditional working from home gateway that employees would use. For my own business use though, If I'm remote from my own network, I only want to ever access files and I can do that easy with Office 365 or numerous cloud repositories.

    Geographic IP restrictions and anonymity - maybe I'm just not doing enough with the internet?

    What am I missing?

  12. #11
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,400
    Like
    2,973
    Liked 1,155 in 670 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Struggling to see the value of these things for private use.
    Access - I use corporate VPNs when accessing customer networks - traditional working from home gateway that employees would use. For my own business use though, If I'm remote from my own network, I only want to ever access files and I can do that easy with Office 365 or numerous cloud repositories.

    Geographic IP restrictions and anonymity - maybe I'm just not doing enough with the internet?

    What am I missing?

    Accessing online financial systems via mobile phone while out and about? If you use the free wifi in a cafe then you'll want a VPN.

    A lot of people are now contract, remote, workers and work in shared office spaces (or even cafes) - a cheap VPN is an obvious precaution.

    If you go camping and use the campsite wifi - same thing.

    If you go to a friends house and use his wifi a lot, might be a good idea, especially if he has geeky kids....

  13. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:


  14. #12
    Should Get Out More GiantPygmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,151
    Like
    5,700
    Liked 4,590 in 2,512 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    Accessing online financial systems via mobile phone while out and about? If you use the free wifi in a cafe then you'll want a VPN.

    A lot of people are now contract, remote, workers and work in shared office spaces (or even cafes) - a cheap VPN is an obvious precaution.

    If you go camping and use the campsite wifi - same thing.

    If you go to a friends house and use his wifi a lot, might be a good idea, especially if he has geeky kids....
    Aah, right, gotcha

    Don't do banking from my mobile and as for Wifi, I think the only ones I ever use out of home are on the Train and in hotels - the latter would usually be using client laptop with a VPN anyway...

  15. #13
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,400
    Like
    2,973
    Liked 1,155 in 670 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Aah, right, gotcha

    Don't do banking from my mobile and as for Wifi, I think the only ones I ever use out of home are on the Train and in hotels - the latter would usually be using client laptop with a VPN anyway...

    You may also have a situation where use of the work VPN is for work only, and personal usage is forbidden/blocked.

  16. #14
    At Work
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,447
    Like
    719
    Liked 383 in 231 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    I dont know if this is true but I have read if you use a vpn and log in to Netflix you get lots of extra content available.

  17. #15
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    14,400
    Like
    2,973
    Liked 1,155 in 670 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me VPN software please

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    I dont know if this is true but I have read if you use a vpn and log in to Netflix you get lots of extra content available.
    You can (hypothetically) log in as if you were in the US, and get US content. If you login from France, you get the content France gets.

    The main issue is that Netflix (and the BBC) are getting extremely paranoid about this, and are extremely good at figuring out what country you're actually in, and so not letting you get the content that you're after.

    It's a bit of a pisser really because it's one of the things that I bought the VPN account for. You have to clear all your browser settings completely to clear out any record whatsoever of your location, and even then Netflix has some tricks for spotting your geolocation on the fly.

  18. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:


Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission