TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: External HD has died.

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,067 in 710 posts
    Blog Entries

Default External HD has died.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have an external HD (Passport is the brand) ... which has all my iTunes stuff stored on it ...

It's died!
    Well, it works but lights come on and it makes a noise. But no computer with recognise a connection to it. Is this a HD issue, the lead running to the HD, or is it buggered and you should have been using a NAS anyway ?

Wiltshire. It may be full of pigs, but at least there's plenty of bacon.
    Liked 22 in 17 posts

Default Re: External HD has died.

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom pieman View Post
    I have an external HD (Passport is the brand) ... which has all my iTunes stuff stored on it ...

It's died!
    Well, it works but lights come on and it makes a noise. But no computer with recognise a connection to it. Is this a HD issue, the lead running to the HD,
    Most likely points of failure are usually the mechanical ones - so the disk itself (unless it's an SSD in there) or the cable.

It should be fairly easy to transfer the disk into another USB caddy if you have one, or you could use something like this if you don't
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Ad.../dp/B01N2JIQR7

or is it buggered and you should have been using a NAS anyway ?
    A NAS can fail too... the key is to have your data backed up to multiple locations. Cloud storage is pretty cheap these days, and so a NAS which backs itself up to Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/Amazon would be a good way to go if you can.

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by stoo:

Liked 1,067 in 710 posts
    Blog Entries

just ordered a new cable as the cheap option. Open the case of the My Passport external HD will be a destroy the case method ... no other option. Lesson fro the future ...
    And time to sing up to icloud storage .... so the is a backup and then another one!
    NAS ... I actually have ... but use rarely. and it currently won't let me connect to it... so more issues to sort.

Liked 4,499 in 3,009 posts

You should be able to open the case without destroying it. I found this youtube video, it might be a different model though so you should probably Google "[your model] disassembly".

One thing that surprised me is that the drive itself has a USB interface so if yours is the same, Stoo's suggestion of putting it in a different caddy won't work. Which is a bit shit.

EDIT: I forgot the youtube video. Here it is:

Liked 1,067 in 710 posts
    Blog Entries

arse ....
    thanks

Liked 22 in 17 posts

Blimey - never seen one like that before.....

By the looks of it, it's not necessarily totally impossible to bypass the onboard controller though..... if you've a steady hand with a soldering iron!

Liked 22 in 17 posts

Another vid with a load more detail in.... he suggests it might even be possible to find an equivalent model drive with a sata controller board fitted that you could swap over.

Still might not work if the data is encrypted though, as the SATA conversion would bypass the chip that handles the encryption + decryption.

And even then - it might not even be the controller bit that's failed anyway.

One thing that could be worth trying though, is to connect it to a different computer, or via a powered USB hub with a decent power supply on it.... it could be possible that there's an issue preventing your USB port putting out enough current to fully power the drive, but enough to power up the lights and sound like it's trying to do something.....

Same goes for the cable, if you haven't already tried it with another one...

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by stoo:

Liked 1,445 in 1,012 posts
    Blog Entries

and it makes a noise.
    What sort of a noise? Same as usual, or is there a bit of clicking going on? Clicking is not good-usually damage or failure on the platters & or read/ write mechanism.

What everyone else has already said though. External power always good. EDIT: you can get a twin USB to one, which means it takes power from a pair of USBs as well as data connection to your USB external. Again I have one.

NAS ... I actually have ... but use rarely. and it currently won't let me connect to it... so more issues to sort.
    pointy finger at your laptop/PC then.

Quote Originally Posted by stoo View Post
    . he suggests it might even be possible to find an equivalent model drive with a sata controller board fitted that you could swap over..
    I've done that on an IDE drive which I killed the controller on due to handling it with damp fingers. You need not only same model but it MUST have identical firmware revision etc. Must be completely the same. Trust me on that one-took me 6 months to get one on ebay. But it worked & is still working even now.

Other ways also try it on a linux machine to see if it talks & drag the data off. But I'm really not liking your kit no longer talking to the NAS. Or I am because that should be an easy remedy if that's what is behind it all.

Use the icloud eh

BTW if you're really stuck you could bung it my way. I've a fair bit of kit** & my bro has rather more-having been an IBM hardware clever cloggses.

** This is my goto on satas:
    https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...paign=products

You sort of use it like a toaster
    Last edited by Editor; 23-11-18 at 09:25.

Liked 1,067 in 710 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    What sort of a noise? Same as usual, or is there a bit of clicking going on? Clicking is not good-usually damage or failure on the platters & or read/ write mechanism.

What everyone else has already said though. External power always good. EDIT: you can get a twin USB to one, which means it takes power from a pair of USBs as well as data connection to your USB external. Again I have one.

pointy finger at your laptop/PC then.

I've done that on an IDE drive which I killed the controller on due to handling it with damp fingers. You need not only same model but it MUST have identical firmware revision etc. Must be completely the same. Trust me on that one-took me 6 months to get one on ebay. But it worked & is still working even now.

Other ways also try it on a linux machine to see if it talks & drag the data off. But I'm really not liking your kit no longer talking to the NAS. Or I am because that should be an easy remedy if that's what is behind it all.

Use the icloud eh

BTW if you're really stuck you could bung it my way. I've a fair bit of kit** & my bro has rather more-having been an IBM hardware clever cloggses.

** This is my goto on satas. You sort of use it like a toaster
    The noises it makes are just like the ones it always makes - none of the HDD about to die stuff ....

The NAS is an old Synology DS207 .... that I really haven't used much , having not need. But I did fire it up a few weeks ago - just to load a back-up copy of iTunes music. Obviously I never checked whether it had actually done it ....
    As I remember it wasn't exactly a smooth process.
    With more investigation, the NAS comes on , does all the flashing flight stuff. Once it settles down the status light goes from flashing green to off. So I am guessing that is the problem.... it's a tad FUBARed ....
    - my thoughts were taht it was a bit dodgy> hence I used another exterenal HDD ... and it reads that fine . The Passport will also not be acknowledged by the iMac that we have .... so I do think the fault is with the disc.

Obvs the HDD is being attached direct ...
    They synology via netplugs.

Just about to try a powered usb port - let's see

Liked 1,067 in 710 posts
    Blog Entries

Powered UBS port didn’t do anything (on either mac or MacBook Pro).
    New external HDD needed .... I assume it makes sense to go SSD.
    are any brands better than others or are they much of a muchness. Samsung seems cheaper .....
    thoughts

Liked 1,445 in 1,012 posts
    Blog Entries

1Powered UBS port didnít do anything (on either mac or MacBook Pro).

2 New external HDD needed .... I assume it makes sense to go SSD.

3 are any brands better than others or are they much of a muchness. Samsung seems cheaper .....thoughts
    1 I've old 160GB IDE drives still working. Obv I don't trust them, but they are. I would take your external drive round to a friends & USB it into a windows machine.

2 But I wouldn't trust it-not after this & not if it's over 3 years old. No it doesn't make sense because of the cost per GB.

£100ish = https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Ha...%3A10625612031

3 Just about the lot are owned by Samsung! Western Digital aren't. However, what I use for our backups are that powered 2.5" & 3.5" base station from Novatech, & here is the link I forgot from earlier:
    https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...paign=products

And into that I insert a WD slow reliable NAS whatever colour it's called. Take it out, put it back into it's labelled box & into the safe place. I favour the 3.5" size & not maximum capacity. IIRC ours is 3TB. That way I can use as many as I like, & no stupid terminations etc. Actually the drive before this one I stuck into a tower as addtiional drive, where it can be seen on the network.

And I'm glad you've brought all of this up because I've just remembered I have a POS NAS/media server box, which still runs & is perfectly adequate, but can only see a maximum of 2x2TB drives, which I might pencil down for a peek at to see how cheap those have become

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission