TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Racing thread, XC, CX, Roads, Enduro, whatever...

Liked 10,425 in 5,963 posts

Default 2019 Racing thread, XC, CX, Roads, Enduro, whatever...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Thought I'd bundle some of the racing thoughts into 1 thread for next year.

I've already entered a very early one. 6th Jan with Gorrick Brass Monkeys.
    https://www.gorrick.com/racing/endurobm/

They've changed the format a little so you've got a 2 hour or a 4 hour event instead of the shorter Cat based races. That means though i'll be out on the course with the slower and the faster guys all at the same time. I've gone for the 2 hour over 40s for this event, we'll see how we get on and whether i fancy doing the 4 hour next time instead.

Not ridden the course at Minley Manor, but if it's Gorrick it should be good fun.

After that we'll see how we feel about either the 27th Jan for the 2nd at Minley or the 17th Feb at Crowthorne, that's a course i know well from previous races and wouldn't be too tough to persuade my lad into racing it also, so be a good bonding day.

I feel/felt that Zwift has taken over a bit too much and i need a kick up the backside to get myself out and about a little more, so these will give me some of that until the Southern XC series begins.

Default Re: 2019 Racing thread, XC, CX, Roads, Enduro, whatever...

Must admit, i'm not feeling quite as 'ready' as i'd hoped for this one. Legs are trained OK, HR is trained OK and skills are reasonable, but having massive feelings of inadequecy (Sp sorry) running up to the race on Sunday. I guess it's partly because it's all Cats out together, so i'll not only be racing the guys who i may be ordinarily racing against, but i'll also be racing the fast fellas too...

However, the weather is looking dry all week, frosty, chilly, which should make for good riding at the very least. Started the year with a fairly gentle Zwift yesterday as it was dark.... Today, Thurs and Fri i'm WFH so i don't see much outdoor riding going on, although i may try and take advantage of the frost tomorrow for a ride.

I rode the Parkwood last night trail riding, first time outdoors on mud in a year on it, damn it rolls well. HTs really do seem to transfer the power well I have to say.

I’m so so torn now lol. I’m better technically on the FS but the HT flies. Roots though I think the FS will win. Errrrrm

No idea!

The good news though, I think I'm in a good place physically for it. Well, as good as I get anyway.

Well I turned up and met both Yak and twowheels for a chat. Did a 3/4 warm up and sighting lap and went racing.
    In a very very loose sense of the term.

The course was good, most enjoyable. Off camber rooty bits, tight bits, fast bits. I could hold my own on the down bits and tech bits but as we'd expect, when it went up, I struggled a bit. Losing ground and then pulling it back on the guys and girls I was racing.

I'd set myself a target of maintaining 150bpm to ensure I made the time of 2 hours, but checking on Strava I seem to have averaged 163bpm oops.

I kept checking the clock as I was coming to the last part of lap 2, I was showing 1hr 21 on the Garmin, which meant I'd have needed lap 3 to be my quickest lap of the day for it to count, well that wasn't happening so I pulled the plug at the end of lap 2. Looking and thinking now, I did start the Garmin a smidgen early, so I'll be interested to see my lap time and whether it would be possible to have done the 3rd within the time. Either way, I'm happy I gave it a good shot and worked damn hard.

Tbh the only thing I can really take away from it is weight! I need to be considerably less weight if I want to move up the order. That's the grim reality of it.

But, I enjoyed myself anyway so thank you to STW for giving me the shove again to go out and race. Cheers

https://www.strava.com/activities/20...ts/51947805837 Strava shows I wasn't the slowest out there, which is good. 86/105.

But also shows I may have actually completed another within time, maybe
    Last edited by Weeksy; 06-01-19 at 15:04.

Well the race came and went and brought with it as many questions as it did answers. From a course context it showed me just how much like on Zwift, picking the correct course is of paramount importance, somewhere like Checkendon, well that's how/why I've had my best results over the years there, it's pancake flat compared to Minley. The sections at Minley i struggled on most where when it went upwards. Obviously at Checkendon there's not much in the way of up, so i can use my power traits to my advantage.

So today we're back on the 5-2. But going to hit it really hard for a couple of months, cutting out not only the 2 days of calories but also being a lot better on the 5's than i have been in the last few months.. See if we can get the weight back down to a lower level.

I have to admit i'm sitting here thinking "maybe a light XC29er would help...."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cube-LTD-...ML8B:rk:1:pf:0

Currently watching and thinking about this CUBE LTD Race 29.... but whether it would be better or indeed quicker than my Parkwood i'm not sure. Maybe throwing some light 29er wheels and rubber at the Parkwood would be better than throwing a whole new bike in there. It would also bring into the discussion when I'd ever use the Parkwood again if i had this.... Along with where i'd store it. So i'm a little torn.
    I think though improving my weight is likely to make a bigger difference than improving the bike weight...

So it's onwards and upwards i guess I can see me skipping the Gorrick later this month, but the Feb 17th at Crowthorne may be an option, as long as i can work it logistically as my lad is racing on the 16th at FoD in the enduro there... But i should be able to wangle the 17th.

We're then onto the April round at Checkendon for Southern XC which is where i'm hoping i can hit the required weight plans and put on a decent performance for myself

I've been asked "why" a little bit over the last 24 hours.... The answer to that is, i like pushing myself, seeing where i am and what i can or indeed cannot do. I must admit, if i look at it in a certain way then the results could be seen as a little disheartening, but we can only be the best we can be on a given day.... It was great riding a new course, a course you can't really ride outside of the times you're racing, pushing yourself an your limits to the best you can, i do enjoy it.

Location, Location - dead important apparently
    Liked 257 in 133 posts

2019 racing i s already busy, raced CX on the 6th of Jan at the "Battle of the Bing, and racing 12th 'Thistly Cross' and RGCX on the 20th. Every CX race I've done so far has been brilliant and I'm learning all the time. Got three races in February as well and its all about getting ready for the XC season starting in March.

I'll be doing the full Scottish XC season again in Grand Vets. Also booked in as a pair team for the Glentress 7 in May which I'm buzzing for already - great event, I'd advise anyone who can to enter this one, its brilliant and riders come from all over to take part.

Big change this year, I've joined the local cycle club and I'm out doing regular road rides as well for base miles. 50+ miles on a Sunday morning at 16-17 mph is now normal for me, couldn't say that a year ago.

So guess what, I'm building me a summer road bike. Frame is a Specialized Tarmac Fact Carbon, suppose I should do a build thread..........

7. The following user liked this post made by anteater:

Quote Originally Posted by anteater View Post
    2019 racing i s already busy, raced CX on the 6th of Jan at the "Battle of the Bing, and racing 12th 'Thistly Cross' and RGCX on the 20th. Every CX race I've done so far has been brilliant and I'm learning all the time. Got three races in February as well and its all about getting ready for the XC season starting in March.

I'll be doing the full Scottish XC season again in Grand Vets. Also booked in as a pair team for the Glentress 7 in May which I'm buzzing for already - great event, I'd advise anyone who can to enter this one, its brilliant and riders come from all over to take part.

Big change this year, I've joined the local cycle club and I'm out doing regular road rides as well for base miles. 50+ miles on a Sunday morning at 16-17 mph is now normal for me, couldn't say that a year ago.

So guess what, I'm building me a summer road bike. Frame is a Specialized Tarmac Fact Carbon, suppose I should do a build thread..........
    Deffo build thread, along with regular progress updates Even if you think there's none

Liked 1,164 in 491 posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: 2019 Racing thread, XC, CX, Roads, Enduro, whatever...

My 2019 should be more of the same as 2018: Weekly time trials, building up to a peak by the end of June /beginning of July for the National Para-cycling championship. The precise date and location are under discussion I'm told. I half expect either the south-west or the north-east. 2015 it was at Worksop so north midlands, 2017 at Sutton Bonnington near Nottingham/Leicester. 2017 Cheshire, and 2018 Essex so they travel round the points of the compass. The TT is usually about 15-20 miles on a rolling course and I am keen to see where it will be. Plus there are a dozen or so events in the Time-trial series that are also scattered round the country. I see a lot of driving to events this year! These are apart from the local open events and the Para-cycling training sessions at the Hubs in Nottingham, York or Leeds. I have a busy year planned! All I want to do is improve on 2018! Simples!

10. The following user liked this post made by hawker:

Been having some debates recently over the XC racing bike choices i have available to me. Whether something faster is going to give me the edge i want and up my performances even slightly.

LAst night, i debated clicking on this to buy
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes...e-black_373464

My thoughts were that at 10.5kg it's already 2.5 lighter than either of my choices roughly, along with the fact it's 2x10 meaning i could drop the front mech and single ring it taking it to 10kg easily...

Today i went out riding with Crust and a couple of other lads around Greenham Common and surrounding areas and rode the 29er Parkwood. Well blow me.... they're awful in some way are HTs, especially in the tricky rooty stuff... It really just doesn't inspire in the same way the T-130 does, it's more sketchy on the front and the rear over the rooty stuff and you end up girlieing your way down stuff you'd attack on the FS. We hit a road segment and sure the 29er rolls along really well... But on anything else, the T-130 really is King for me. I've already got the T-130 as light as it really practial, sure i could rdrop 100gr here or there on a post/bars... but with the wheels and tyres it's about as good as it's getting. Along with being ideal for all my other riding at FoD, BPW etc, which would be more of a compromise on a more XC oriented bike of course.

So the super racey HT idea is kicked in the head.

It wasn't all just Strava miles and head down today though

93ihrF_C--AGfkPDMee2PMCiU4uhys8Wt8Q1n8KZ1tc-1152x2048 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

12. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Location, Location - dead important apparently
    Liked 257 in 133 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Been having some debates recently over the XC racing bike choices i have available to me. Whether something faster is going to give me the edge i want and up my performances even slightly.

LAst night, i debated clicking on this to buy
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes...e-black_373464

My thoughts were that at 10.5kg it's already 2.5 lighter than either of my choices roughly, along with the fact it's 2x10 meaning i could drop the front mech and single ring it taking it to 10kg easily...

Today i went out riding with Crust and a couple of other lads around Greenham Common and surrounding areas and rode the 29er Parkwood. Well blow me.... they're awful in some way are HTs, especially in the tricky rooty stuff... It really just doesn't inspire in the same way the T-130 does, it's more sketchy on the front and the rear over the rooty stuff and you end up girlieing your way down stuff you'd attack on the FS. We hit a road segment and sure the 29er rolls along really well... But on anything else, the T-130 really is King for me. I've already got the T-130 as light as it really practial, sure i could rdrop 100gr here or there on a post/bars... but with the wheels and tyres it's about as good as it's getting. Along with being ideal for all my other riding at FoD, BPW etc, which would be more of a compromise on a more XC oriented bike of course.

So the super racey HT idea is kicked in the head.

It wasn't all just Strava miles and head down today though

93ihrF_C--AGfkPDMee2PMCiU4uhys8Wt8Q1n8KZ1tc-1152x2048 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Weeksy, my xc race bike is a hard tail and its a story of wins and losses. Yes over rooty stuff its slower, when you hit fire roads and climbs its faster. The right bike usually depends on the course. Ideally I'd like a hardtail and a full sus to pick between after doing two practice laps.

One thing I can say though is that fitting a Bikeyoke dropper to the hardtail was the best thing ever. What a difference to the bike and lap times it makes on technical downhill stuff. Night and day, and well worth the weight penalty.

Sad to be missing the next race in series this weekend. Sure it would have only been a battle for the wooden spoon, but I'd have tried my best.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries

Thought I’d bump this one as it’s still the right year

I’m probably going to give Brass Monkeys a go this year. First round is a little over ten weeks away.

Mtb skills- non existent
    Weight- coming down slowly from 15st08 to 14st12 (10wks)
    Power- FTP is 300w but due a retest soon.

So, I’m thinking I might start Base training for next year in the meantime and quite likely target the 4h event.

Anyone else fancy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair View Post
    Thought I’d bump this one as it’s still the right year

I’m probably going to give Brass Monkeys a go this year. First round is a little over ten weeks away.

Mtb skills- non existent
    Weight- coming down slowly from 15st08 to 14st12 (10wks)
    Power- FTP is 300w but due a retest soon.

So, I’m thinking I might start Base training for next year in the meantime and quite likely target the 4h event.

Anyone else fancy it?
    I'm not completely against it, my lad was interested so potentially we'll be there anyway. Last time i checked 2-3 weeks back the were not showing any dates

Liked 1,600 in 828 posts

The only event I've got an interest in riding later this year is the Real Ale Wobble. It'll more than likely be next years though.

https://www.green-events.co.uk/?raw_main

18. The following user liked this post made by Pirahna:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,586 in 1,017 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I'm not completely against it, my lad was interested so potentially we'll be there anyway. Last time i checked 2-3 weeks back the were not showing any dates
    01/12/19
    05/01/20
    26/01/20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission