TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Electrical question help please

Really Bored
    Liked 362 in 185 posts

Default Electrical question help please

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    If I have 10 LED floodlights all at 50w and wired in series, what power generator would I need to run them?
    This is for our all weather riding arena, we donít have electric at our stables and paddocks so this is the only way of lighting the arena.
    I have three generators, but am hoping the small one will run them due to weight for dragging it half way down the paddocks.

Really Bored
    Liked 362 in 185 posts

Default Re: Electrical question help please

Wrong forum - can someone please move to general?

Really Bored
    Liked 601 in 422 posts

Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    If I have 10 LED floodlights all at 50w and wired in series, what power generator would I need to run them?
    This is for our all weather riding arena, we donít have electric at our stables and paddocks so this is the only way of lighting the arena.
    I have three generators, but am hoping the small one will run them due to weight for dragging it half way down the paddocks.
    What voltage are the floodlights?

Liked 144 in 75 posts

Whichever way you wire them, it's still going to be 500W. Assuming they're 240v lamps then they need to be wired in parallel.

Really Bored
    Liked 362 in 185 posts

Sorry, I did mean wired in parallel.

This is the details on the eBay listing - only want cheap as the bloody horses tend to wreck things given half a chance.
    003B7342-C978-4EC9-B4EE-21B29784873B.jpg

Really Bored
    Liked 601 in 422 posts

Well given that the total power is 500 Watts and a notional 240 Volt supply, you'd think that a generator that could supply (500 Watt / 240 Volts) 2.08 Amps would be able to do the job.

Warning: things are going to get technical for here on in -

However, I suspect that this will not be the case. A lot of LED lighting has a very poor Power Factor. "Power Factor" can be thought of as "a measure of how efficiently the load current is being converted into useful work output" (from here).

For a purely resistive load (think old style filament bulbs) the power factor will be unity - the voltage is in phase with the current. However, LEDs need a DC supply (not AC as is the mains). This means that all LED lights contain an AC to DC power supply - and some of these are, shall we say, not exactly state of the art - and therefore have a less than ideal power factor.

What I'm trying to say is that you will need a generator that can provide more than the expected 2 Amps (ok, 2 and bit Amps) that the calculation above would suggest. The lights would work, but the generator would be less than happy. Go for a generator that can supply 4 Amps and I think that you'll be ok.

Usual terms and conditions apply.

7. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Lutin:

Really Bored
    Liked 362 in 185 posts

Thanks for the reply, Iíd best be having a look at my generators tomorrow and seeing which one will be needed - if itís the big one itíll be a no go as the gf and kids wonít be able to get it down the paddocks without my help.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission