TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Band Saw gurus

Liked 735 in 422 posts

Default Band Saw gurus

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Picked up an Elektra Beckum BAS315 ban saw for 60 and bought an upgrade kit for it with new bearings and guides. fitted as instructed but damned if I can get the damn thing to cut a a straight line. Wanders all over the place even with the guide in place. Any hints and tips on how to get the bloody thing to cut straight. May be the band it came with the saw. I have made sure all the bearing guides are square to the saw. and the guide is square to the blade.

Liked 1,196 in 692 posts

Default Re: Band Saw gurus

One of the guides will be adjustable for height, you want this down as close to the work as possible. The other major cause is insufficient blade tension. The blade needs to be singing tight, likely a lot tighter than you think is good for it, but that's what they need to cut straight. The deeper the work, the tighter the blade needs to be.

3. The following user liked this post made by Big Pete:

Liked 5,802 in 3,403 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    The blade needs to be singing tight, likely a lot tighter than you think is good for it, but that's what they need to cut straight.

I found this when I was having the same issue - this is a dead easy way to set tension and you will see that it needs to be a lot tighter than you think https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/...dl-t12784.html

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by go_slow:

Liked 3,530 in 1,740 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post

I found this when I was having the same issue - this is a dead easy way to set tension and you will see that it needs to be a lot tighter than you think https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/...dl-t12784.html
    That is ace g_s, thanks! I've always cranked the tension right up on my cheap band saw (Scheppach BASO 1) but never measured it and had no idea how to or what measurement to use except noise

I'm not sure if I'll get my digital caliper on the blade mind you but I'll certainly give it a go when I get home!

Liked 735 in 422 posts

Quote Originally Posted by go_slow View Post

Good shout will give it a go cheers

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission