TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Additional lighting. Talk to me about Cree u5/u7 etc spot lights

Really Bored
    Liked 485 in 118 posts

Default Additional lighting. Talk to me about Cree u5/u7 etc spot lights

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    These seem to fit the bill for what I want but all of them come with a high low effect and a strobe effect. I have seen examples and methods of disabling the strobe and to be honest I just want the full/high beam as an on/off option on the bike.
    Anyone done this? Any other options?

Tia

A Bit Bored
    Liked 42 in 32 posts

Default Re: Additional lighting. Talk to me about Cree u5/u7 etc spot lights

Fitted a couple of these to the boy's YBR125 as the headlight is utter pants, massive improvement. They aren't suited to full / dip use as there is no beam pattern change, so just use them on bright and aim them down enough that they don't blind oncoming traffic. They seem to revert to "bright" after being turned off for a while, power down and up again and they are dim, and again makes them strobe. If he manages to turn them to strobe he just powers down and up again to get back to bright. They were really cheap and are a big improvement, and also they give the bike an unusual light signature from the front so he is hopefully more visible - I fixed them to the front indicators either side of the headlight.

3. The following user liked this post made by Zimbo:

Liked 3,008 in 1,565 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Fitted a couple of these to the boy's YBR125 as the headlight is utter pants, massive improvement. They aren't suited to full / dip use as there is no beam pattern change, so just use them on bright and aim them down enough that they don't blind oncoming traffic. They seem to revert to "bright" after being turned off for a while, power down and up again and they are dim, and again makes them strobe. If he manages to turn them to strobe he just powers down and up again to get back to bright. They were really cheap and are a big improvement, and also they give the bike an unusual light signature from the front so he is hopefully more visible - I fixed them to the front indicators either side of the headlight.
    Unusual light signature... If only Voyager/Thermo were still around.

5. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Liked 1,184 in 686 posts

PIAA all the way.

Really Bored
    Liked 347 in 177 posts

Depends what purpose you want the additional lights to serve. If you want to be seen by incoming traffic/traffic you're filtering past then the Cree u7 will be fine for that***. If you want to boost your dipped beam then I think the Cree will be pants for that.

I've recently upgraded the lights on my GS. I added a couple of Cree spots and they're only good for lighting the front wheel, nothing more. I also added a couple of Hella FF50 spots with HID bulbs and they're a decent addition to boost the dipped beam.

However, the best improvement by far was simply switching the dipped beam to an HID unit.

*** I'm not getting into any arguments about headlights and being more/less visible. ��

Really Bored
    Liked 347 in 177 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Unusual light signature... If only Voyager/Thermo were still around.
    I think it a shame that he's not.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission