TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Anyone had their Electricity supplier cease trading.

On the M1 which doesn’t have a hard shoulder
    Liked 379 in 187 posts

Default Anyone had their Electricity supplier cease trading.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just found out that my supplier has ceased trading. Economy energy, absolute shower of crap, customer service was abysmal, but they were cheap, so I stayed.
    Now they have gone, who do I owe any outstanding balance to? What will happen next?
    I’m told I shouldn’t change suppliers but should wait until Ofgem appoint a new supplier. Is that the best move or should I go now?
    Ta
    Mick

Liked 5,203 in 2,807 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone had their Electricity supplier cease trading.

Your account balance will be on record so its not as if you can sneak away and avoid a bill.

I'd wait for Ofgen to do their thing, they seem to actually have clue about what they are doing and I'd imagine they will recommend a supplier and give you alternatives (as they do with people who haven't changed in ages and are paying high rates).

I recently did a change based on their info, they simply asked me to log on and choose and they took care of the rest. Hassle free.

Liked 9,177 in 4,775 posts

Woman from ifgem was just on tv news, saying their safety net will kick in and there will be no break in service and all balances will be transferred etc. It was on in the background and I didnt pay full attention but it might be on the itv hub?

Liked 3,082 in 1,862 posts
    Blog Entries

Sit tight. Wait for Ofgem to fill out the details. You don't have to accept their recommendation of a substitute supplier.

Read this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46798461

Liked 379 in 187 posts

Quote Originally Posted by moth View Post
    Sit tight. Wait for Ofgem to fill out the details. You don't have to accept their recommendation of a substitute supplier.

Read this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46798461
    Funnily enough that’s how I found out, got home, made a cuppa and read the news to see that, no other bugger has told me!!
    I saw the tv thing, more wondered if anyone had been through the process. I only owe them about £50, not even worth hiding in Brazil and having plastic surgery.
    Ta
    Mick

A Bit Bored
    Liked 43 in 33 posts

Mine went bust about six months ago (Iresa). We were advised to sit tight, if your balance is in credit and you move suppliers it can be difficult to get the credit balance back. A new supplier was appointed and took over the account, no issues, they worked out the outstanding balances and continued to supply taking the outstanding credit / debit balance into account. As it's an appointed supplier you are not tied in to them, once the accounts are sorted you can move if you don't like the new supplier.

Liked 1,795 in 1,062 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Mine went bust about six months ago (Iresa). We were advised to sit tight, if your balance is in credit and you move suppliers it can be difficult to get the credit balance back. A new supplier was appointed and took over the account, no issues, they worked out the outstanding balances and continued to supply taking the outstanding credit / debit balance into account. As it's an appointed supplier you are not tied in to them, once the accounts are sorted you can move if you don't like the new supplier.
    I had just moved house when that happened, thankfully I’d submitted my meter readings and had a refund of credit. New owner of previous property had no end of delays shifting to a new supplier.

Liked 6,791 in 3,850 posts

Just watched Martin Lewis on ITV...

He said, just hold tight.

Do not move!

Your credit will be transfered to the new provider, then if you think you can get a better deal do a switch.

Don't switch until ofgen move you to the new provider, or things may get complicated and you might lose the credit.

Liked 1,416 in 635 posts

Yeah, I was with ExtraEnergy, they went pop a month or so back in November, Ofgen appointed ScottishPower to take over their customer base, and I got an email a few days after that with a link to click on to register as a ScottishPower customer, which once it worked (it didn't in the first week- couldn't find my details), was painless.

I just had to put in postcode and house name and it then brought up a page with my meter serial numbers, I input current meter readings and then got a page with three options- staying with the tariff I was on until May, or going into one of their fixed ones.

The rules of the game seem to be that once you've registered you're free to move- if whoever gets your lot is as organised as ScottishPower is won't be any worry.

Liked 379 in 187 posts

I owe them so happy to not pay for a short time, I cancelled my DD a few months ago due to poor customer service, at least one of the 1300 complaints that Ofgem have is from me!!
    I will chill and run up massive electric bills then
    Cheers all
    Mick

Liked 1,871 in 961 posts

I was with ExtraEnergy too, and also got transferred to Scottish Power. Despite Extra installing a smart meter, my payments were never updated and my login to their site always came up with errors about a previous registration, so I have absolutely no idea how much I owe them. Given my previous supplier charged me over £300 when I switched to Extra, I'm probably paying way under what I'm using (not surprising given the studio is now in the garage and being heated with a 2000W oil-filled radiator).

Anyhoo, I have literally only just (like 2 days ago) got around to updating my meter readings to Scottish Power, although I'm already in the process of switching to a cheaper supplier (through an intermediary, they said it won't take place for a month or two due to already switching to SP).

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,356 in 2,157 posts

Official government advise is to start filling buckets and saucepans with spare electricity before the supply cuts off, don't flush the toilet when you whazz and to bathe with a friend in the cupboard with the meter.

Or something.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,736 in 1,942 posts

A gang of Polish Romanian navvies will be around shortly to dig up and cut the mains cable to your gaff. Maybe.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission