TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Don't know if this has been discussed, but how do you think Marquez would have done

Liked 284 in 141 posts

Default Don't know if this has been discussed, but how do you think Marquez would have done

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    On a 500?
    Whilst being one of the most gifted riders of his generation, I think his reliance on electronics to sort out the bike rather than feel and el gordo cajones would have made him good, but not the great he has become.
    Opinions

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,214 in 1,945 posts

Default Re: Don't know if this has been discussed, but how do you think Marquez would have do

It's a good question, but to add to it, are we talking late 70s to late 80s evil barstard 500s, or the smoother last generation ones with multiple powervalves and fully digitised ignitions?

A good rider will be able to ride anything well, I think Marquez would have been a great rider on any bike, IMO it's more about the will to win than any natural ability, riding ability can be learned through practice, anyone can rear wheel steer given enough practice.

Liked 5,621 in 3,522 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Don't know if this has been discussed, but how do you think Marquez would have do

He is a master of saving it when the tyres let go. That was the way to ride a 500.

Liked 9,976 in 5,746 posts

I think the first day her crash 12 times

Then he'd be quick as fook on day 2.

Liked 1,726 in 1,060 posts

I'd think that if he did not break too many bones, he would be a winner and champ on just about anything. He has a way of finding the limit and holding it there.

6. The following user liked this post made by Makman:

Liked 1,658 in 1,081 posts

I don't think he over relies on electronics any more than the others and if you removed them he'd adapt. I'm not sure why a lot of mainly Rossi fans on twitter seem to think that Rossi is the only rider who can ride 2/4 strokes ignoring the fact that so did the rest of that grid at that time. Rossi won cos he was the best, Marc wins now cos he is the best. IMO Marc has amazing feel for the bike and this would have helped him on a 500 rather than hindered him.

Funnily enough on Twitter MotoGP posted up Marcs moto2 lap where he overtook 18 riders in 4 corners. The boy is just a genius. That season he came from very near the back of the grid not once but twice. Once for a penalty I seem to recall and the other cos the bike didn't engage first, so IMO it wasn't a fluke. I seem to recall that in the interview afterwards he said something to the effect of I had to ride at my maximum rather than my normal. Then look at say Argentina this season, he was a totally cockwomble about it but the fact of the matter is he was lapping at something like over a second faster than everyone else on track. So it's only IMO but I think he is just currently better than everyone else and that'd translate to 500's or Manx Nortons or what ever else he was riding.

He is just a great rider are/were Rossi, Stoner, Gardner, Schwantz, Rainey, Lawson, Roberts etc.

Liked 9,391 in 4,887 posts

Always seems to me that great riders are born, not trained. So I reckon he'd be at the top no matter what era he was born in.

I don't watch racing anymore, out of interest, is Rossi not the king anymore then?

Liked 1,658 in 1,081 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post

I don't watch racing anymore, out of interest, is Rossi not the king anymore then?
    Nope not for a long time. He's still good but the fact he has won less races since 2007 than Stoner who retired in 2012 will probably tell you much.

10. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,214 in 1,945 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Always seems to me that great riders are born,
    I disagree completely with that, all of the great riders started riding at a young age and rode loads.
    I taught myself to rear wheel steer on an MX bike in a couple of days just by practice (I fell off a lot), any skill can be learned, you just needs the balls and will to do it.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission