TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Ideal age to retire. Waddya reckon?

Liked 6,128 in 3,174 posts

Default Re: Ideal age to retire. Waddya reckon?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Stalker View Post
    You’ve been waffling on about retiring in the next few years for as long as i have!!
    Exactly and that's because as I got closer to what I thought was enough I then realised it actually wasn't.

Liked 4,802 in 3,213 posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarus1859 View Post
    Exactly and that's because as I got closer to what I thought was enough I then realised it actually wasn't.
    I'm imagining you on your deathbed saying "I just need to work another couple of weeks, then I'll have enough".

3. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Liked 1,234 in 711 posts

I could quite happily retire right now, at 51, but I don't have the cash to do it, or enough pension. I reckon I'll be working in some form until I'm 70.

Liked 9,177 in 4,775 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Whereas I can tell you as accurately as anyone can: 4 years, 2 months, 1 day.

As as for 'how much do I need?', well, for a large part it's more a case of 'i get what I get'!
    Lol! Me too, but then I don't live or want to an extravagant life. Just as well really cos I couldn't afford it anyway!

Liked 237 in 127 posts

Started to hate my job ( because of senior (mis)management) so decided I'd retire at 60. No mortgage, found out what my monthly pension would be, so I've lived on less than that for the last two years, sticking the rest away. I managed perfectly well, never went without. Just made me wonder what I did with all my pay!

Retired 5 and a half weeks ago. Currently living in Spain where I've been for 5 weeks to the day. I don't know anyone here, I don't speak the language ( but learning) but i love it, and to get up and think "What shall I do today?" is such a massive changed from working 12 to 15 hour days.

Weather is going to be shite this weekend (overcast with showers) but it's normally lovely. Ideal for going out and exploring the area on the motorbike that I purchased here.

Been divorced 12 years, so can put up with my own company. Friends are coming out here, next week, which I'm looking forward to, and I'm off around Europe with various mates up until November. By which time I'd have more than likely devised a plan for what I'll do over winter.

Was in the same line of work for 33 years. Miss the work, miss my colleagues, miss the 120 mile daily commute. But I will never go back to working.

Should have done this earlier, as i now know i clung on too long as i loved (the majority of my) work

If you can financially afford it, do it.

7. The following 12 users liked this useful post by whysub:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 6,128 in 3,174 posts

Quote Originally Posted by saga_lout View Post
    I'm imagining you on your deathbed saying "I just need to work another couple of weeks, then I'll have enough".

My goal at the moment is that as soon as I hit the magic number then I'm 'retired' and don't need to work anymore - I might keep going to work after that, but I'll be there because I'm enjoying what I'm doing, once that stops then I'll stop.

9. The following user liked this post made by icarus1859:

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission