TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement Motorcycle Tours

Really Bored
    Liked 680 in 499 posts

Default Re: Retirement Motorcycle Tours

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimtozz View Post
    Im a atleast 64 years away from retirement however i plan to go touring way before then. I want to ship a bike over america and spend a couple months there doing a full loop of the states. Need to save up a fair bit of dosh first.
    You are going to retire at 84/85?
    Bit harsh...but I suppose someone has to keep my lifestyle going.
    Chees Vimtozz!

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,738 in 1,854 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pirahna View Post
    Last one I did was 8 weeks, she came out for 2 weeks at the end so I was away from home for 10 weeks.
    I have a problem with the memsahib.
    She absolutely hates long flights.

Liked 3,063 in 1,529 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    As i retire from the current job this summer (aged 51) I might do the west coast of the US with the missus on a Harley in the next couple of years as i have already done the Norway tour i wanted. Through France into Northern Italy into Croatia is also on the list to explore.

Surgery to injury permitting this summer i fully intend to have at least a week to 10 days away on the bike somewhere but havent decided where yet.

Then its time to find something to do to supplement the pension fund further trips

I'm sort of on that route (if you do the Alps on the way!!) so shout if you sort that one!!

Liked 2,531 in 1,223 posts
    Blog Entries

Wazzing about on a hornet in croatia ,Bosnia .having great fun .

5. The following 4 users liked this useful post by MrTack:

Liked 3,145 in 1,643 posts

None of this will probably happen but I'd love to

go back to Norway
    ride around Iceland
    Nip down to the former Yugoslavia
    Tour both islands of NZ
    Ride in Canada
    spend a week bumbling slowly around the UK (Wales, Scotland, The N York Moors something slow and old like an Enfield.

7. The following user liked this post made by balbas:

Liked 2,488 in 1,372 posts

I'll continue to tour the UK. Scotland was doing a touring guide thing on the continent that I want to check out. I don't get to see much of him these days.
    There's still a lot to see in the UK as well. I don't know how much motorcycle touring I'm going to be doing in the US. I'll probably be doing more sailing than riding here. Almost everyone I used to ride with is either dead or decrepit. And they are all younger than me.

As i retire from the current job this summer (aged 51) I might do the west coast of the US with the missus on a Harley in the next couple of years as i have already done the Norway tour i wanted. Through France into Northern Italy into Croatia is also on the list to explore.

Surgery to injury permitting this summer i fully intend to have at least a week to 10 days away on the bike somewhere but havent decided where yet.

Then its time to find something to do to supplement the pension fund further trips
    I want to get the Croatia trip in to visit Tack and Marydoll. I don't feel like making the trip alone.

I have it in mind to pick up a new bike for the UK in May. One that is more suited to long stretches in the saddle and to simple bimbling along. The Sprint is better for sporty touring but I don't think I am anymore.

Tiger 800, Africa Twin, KTM 1090, BMW 1200 RS?

9. The following user liked this post made by murcan:

Liked 2,531 in 1,223 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murcan View Post
    I'll continue to tour the UK. Scotland was doing a touring guide thing on the continent that I want to check out. I don't get to see much of him these days.
    There's still a lot to see in the UK as well. I don't know how much motorcycle touring I'm going to be doing in the US. I'll probably be doing more sailing than riding here. Almost everyone I used to ride with is either dead or decrepit. And they are all younger than me.

I want to get the Croatia trip in to visit Tack and Marydoll. I don't feel like making the trip alone.

I have it in mind to pick up a new bike for the UK in May. One that is more suited to long stretches in the saddle and to simple bimbling along. The Sprint is better for sporty touring but I don't think I am anymore.

You are very welcome

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,085 in 1,856 posts

Quote Originally Posted by murcan View Post

I'm not a big fan of big bikes for touring, and if you're not intending to ride off road why use an off road styled bike, my choice would be a bike that will cruise all day at 70mph without feeling thrashed, that I can easily reach the ground on and a comfy seat, an MT07 Tracer would do the job really well.

Liked 2,488 in 1,372 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    You are very welcome
    Thank you. Now all I have to do is make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I'm not a big fan of big bikes for touring, and if you're not intending to ride off road why use an off road styled bike, my choice would be a bike that will cruise all day at 70mph without feeling thrashed, that I can easily reach the ground on and a comfy seat, an MT07 Tracer would do the job really well.
    I'm not overly fond of big bikes either but I'm touring more often than not when I'm in the UK so power and comfort are important. And I'd like to make carrying luggage as convenient as secure as possible. The taller bikes do have more travel to the suspension and that would have come in very handy on roads that have had a lot of heavy farm equipment running over them. Big tractors over time can set up an undulation in a road surface and it can be really uncomfortable at speed with a sport suspension. Also I never intend to go off road but the road doesn't always do what I intend.

I'm going to test the bikes here but I'll make the purchase over there because that's where the bike is going to live. I sort of like the idea of the Honda because a friend has one and he said that stepping aboard required no sort of orientation to a new bike that you can get with some changes in marque. Everything is just where you need it to be and operates the way you'd expect. But of all the ugly bikes it's really ugly. Where the KTM has been beaten repeatedly with the ugly stick the Honda seem to have just taken one good wallop with the ugly frying pan.

Honda dealer round the corner from me has two second hand Africa Twins currently in stock, I see them every morning on my way to work (or pretty much on my way anywhere), the looks have grown on me and if I was in the market for that type of bike I'd probably get an Africa Twin or the new Yamaha 700 Tenere, though I haven't seen the Tenere IRL yet.

Liked 3,417 in 1,770 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    or the new Yamaha 700 Tenere, though I haven't seen the Tenere IRL yet.
    Its not as tall as it looks and is really skinny based on the Dakar style ..... i looked at the Tracer 900 GT and that would be more suited to big miles than a tenere IMO as more comfort in the seat and better tyre and brake options for touring, plus some token luggage

Its not as tall as it looks and is really skinny based on the Dakar style ..... i looked at the Tracer 900 GT and that would be more suited to big miles than a tenere IMO as more comfort in the seat and better tyre and brake options for touring, plus some token luggage
    Tenere would definitely be a "heart" purchase, Tracer (of any size) would be a "head" purchase, so I'd buy the Tenere because I don't want a sensible bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission