TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Recommend me a sander

  1. #1
    Really Bored fingerpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,341
    Like
    865
    Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

    Default Recommend me a sander


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    This spring I have a LOT of jobs on the house to do, including sanding and painting a ton of old windows and tricky fiddly shit (I live in an old cottage). I don get time to do stuff so need machine help. I was thinking of the finger sander from Binky, but canít find a cordless one.

    What machine sanders work for small awkward places a rotary or normal size belt canít be used on?

    Cheers.

    p.s. did think about chemicals. Open to using them to make it easier.

  2. #2
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Llanafan & Holland
    Posts
    3,567
    Like
    81
    Liked 829 in 605 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Just get one with dust extraction, use a mask and airlock the room you are working in.

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sausagechester
    Posts
    18,469
    Like
    192
    Liked 1,397 in 992 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    You mention the use of chemicals, are you looking to strip paint?

    I use a Rothenburger gas torch, the ones plumbers use and a nice sharp scraper. I use the heat to blister the paint, not burn it, just blister it, then use the scraper. The paint comes off the wood like peeling plastic film off a new phone screen, down to the bare wood.

  4. #4
    Should Get Out More Silly Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Deep, dark, 'n' dangerous
    Posts
    14,278
    Like
    677
    Liked 1,808 in 1,069 posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    I tend to alternate between 3 types of sander depending on the job:

    Belt sander - large flat areas
    Round random orbital - smaller flat areas or finer sanding on large flat area after the belt sander
    Sanding pad on multi tool - smaller areas still or tight spaces

    Ive got a iron shaped attachment for the random orbital sander somewhere but I’ve never used it

  5. #5
    Really Bored fingerpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,341
    Like
    865
    Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    You mention the use of chemicals, are you looking to strip paint?

    I use a Rothenburger gas torch, the ones plumbers use and a nice sharp scraper. I use the heat to blister the paint, not burn it, just blister it, then use the scraper. The paint comes off the wood like peeling plastic film off a new phone screen, down to the bare wood.
    Yeah, strip it away to clean up, fill, and re paint. That’s a really good idea, I’ll give that a go on a test piece tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Should Get Out More go_slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    is not fixed no more.
    Posts
    27,469
    Like
    5,021
    Liked 5,871 in 3,438 posts
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Amazon have the black and Decker mouse for half price at the moment. I rate it. The no brand sanding sheets they sell with it (as part of the bundle are good too.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...mob_b_pd_title

  7. #7
    Really Bored fingerpuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,341
    Like
    865
    Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Excellent, thank you. Ordered.

  8. #8
    Should Get Out More ZRX61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,608
    Like
    1,916
    Liked 1,365 in 780 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Car View Post
    I tend to alternate between 3 types of sander depending on the job:

    Belt sander - large flat areas
    Round random orbital - smaller flat areas or finer sanding on large flat area after the belt sander
    Sanding pad on multi tool - smaller areas still or tight spaces

    Ive got a iron shaped attachment for the random orbital sander somewhere but I’ve never used it
    What he said.... & if ya have air: a 6in DA sander.

    The issue with that mickey mouse sander from B&D is the design makes it difficult to get into the nadgery, even with the doohickey attachment.

  9. #9
    At Work
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,449
    Like
    79
    Liked 482 in 256 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    +1 for multitool with sanding pad for tight spaces.

  10. The following user liked this post made by GuzziPaul:


  11. #10
    A Bit Bored
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    15
    Like
    0
    Liked: 1/1

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    The DeWalt Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander is highly recommended.

  12. #11
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,812
    Like
    501
    Liked 658 in 461 posts

    Default Re: Recommend me a sander

    Quote Originally Posted by hangloose View Post
    The DeWalt Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander is highly recommended.
    You still here?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission