TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Benefit of painting garages

Liked 1,238 in 874 posts

Default Benefit of painting garages

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm hopefully moving house in a few weeks and it has a double garage that probably has a damp problem. I suspect this is because it is slightly lower than the ground at the back and the sides. I didn't see any sign of damp in there but there's a gulley along the back wall leading to a drainaway.
    I plan to build a lean to against the back wall which should solve the surface water issue which is I suspect the main culprit. The side walls are party walls but buildings on both sides sit about a foot higher.
    My question is what benefit or problem is painting the floor and walls going to give me, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Mussels; 13-01-19 at 14:35.

Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Liked 2,252 in 987 posts

Default Re: Benefit of painting garages

Painting the floor and walls will reduce dust and make it easier to clean up spillages.

Really Bored
    Liked 608 in 444 posts

Scuse me hijacking...but i have a tanalised garage that i left unpainted. Its three or four years old now and darkening off which blends in nicely. Do they need painting or can i leave it?

Liked 4,277 in 2,116 posts

If you dont sort out the damp, painting it with either push the water along the wall to where it isnt painted, or more likely it will fall off.

5. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Canet Plage (summer)
    Liked 1,233 in 726 posts

Painting the inner walls and ceiling in white will make the whole place lighter and therefore easier to work in.

But what Chillit says about damp

Liked 1,238 in 874 posts

Thanks, I may just paint the floor and wait to see exactly where any damp problems are before doing anything to the walls especially as one of them is part of the house.
    That probably means the walls will never get done as once I've filled it I'll never empty it but I'd rather not risk causing problems elsewhere.

Liked 1,196 in 692 posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidat19 View Post
    Scuse me hijacking...but i have a tanalised garage that i left unpainted. Its three or four years old now and darkening off which blends in nicely. Do they need painting or can i leave it?
    you can leave it, it doesn't need painting. I used to treat timber for a living, the green pressure treatment will likely outlast you if it was done properly.

Really Bored
    Liked 608 in 444 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you can leave it, it doesn't need painting. I used to treat timber for a living, the green pressure treatment will likely outlast you if it was done properly.
    Errrr....it's not green....does thst make a difference? Definitely treated though.

Liked 1,196 in 692 posts

if it's brown, it's green with added dye. If it's normal wood colour it's been treated with organic solvent, which is less ideal, and more expensive, usually reserved for windows and joinery.

Liked 5,934 in 3,074 posts

I've never been a fan of painting garage floors, so I haven't done mine.
    If something spills I clean it up, then what I can't get up soaks into the concrete and it's gone. With a painted garage floor you have to put a lot of effort in to stop it being slippery.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,920 in 1,138 posts
    Blog Entries

I was worried about the slippery thing too, but so far I've not found anything to be a problem on my epoxy painted floor.

I think you also need to remember the difference between a domestic painted floor - which still has a concretey texture - and the more expensive poured epoxy industrial floor you're probably used to seeing in factories. The latter is way thicker and smoother because it's shuttered in and floated on. That offers much more potential for slips IME.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission