TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Gettign power to my garage?

Really Bored
    Liked 748 in 483 posts

Default Gettign power to my garage?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    My garage has no power.

I'm half considering a plug in hybrid car. I would need power to my garage as I park next to it, not my house.

The garage is about 15 meters from my house. The pwoer would have to go through my garden and around / along two other garages in the same block as mine. I think the owners of the othe garages would be fine with a reasonably neat job. I'd ask them first obviously.

Any idea what's involved? Would the wiring have to go underground? Could it be put along my fence which meets the garage block?

Liked 1,239 in 715 posts

Default Re: Gettign power to my garage?

how much power? IIRC the rapid chargers are ~30kW which is steel wire armour territory and possibly 3 phase to get the amps, the slow ones are 7ish, which is still pretty potent, and still likely SWA, altho there are rubber insulated cables that will handle it. I managed to run my old garage on what was basically a heavy duty extension lead, so it doesn't necessarily need to be hideously complex, but it might not be cheap. I would think the car dealer would be able to put you onto a suitable installer for the charging point, it must be a pretty common request from anyone buying an electric car.

3. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Big Pete:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,391 in 2,049 posts

You really need to get a legal agreement to run cable on someone else's property, not doing this is going to cause problems in the future.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Liked 2,603 in 1,551 posts

I know a guy with a leccy car and i have to say the charging gubbins he had in the garage didn't look cheap. Armoured cable is a bit pricey as well but you might be able to scavenge some off a friendly site that's clearing out, for a drink.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission