TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Enfield: First U.K. Video Review

Liked 1,544 in 995 posts

Default Re: Royal Enfield: First U.K. Video Review

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I like the idea of it, in the same way that I like the Trumpet retro's and more so the Guzzi V7. But the RE seems to do the same (or very similar) for a lot less. On the SV comment I personally think that's true of most of Triumphs or indeed most other firms retro ranges other than the Thruxton, top end stuff.

I'd be tempted as a 2nd plodder bike, as that's my problem with the Triumphs and V7s they are too expensive for me to consider, whereas a £5500 RE is likely to be fairly cheap in 2-3 years time.

My son's friend's Dad works for Harris and he was telling me that the RE design/testing team are pretty much all ex triumph.

Edit: Having watched the vid the dealer in the Vid is in Bushey not far from me I might be tempted by a test ride in the summer

Liked 6,556 in 3,725 posts

Old chap in my local bike club has proper been looking forward to this, he had a test ride this week and loved it, but his review makes it out to be just like a 60's bike, rather than a modern interpretation.

He's been a dealers today to haggle. They've already sold 46 of them, all waiting for the March reg change and sold two more while he was in the shop.

Proving quite popular then!

3. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,312 in 581 posts

Dependant on how my morning goes, I'm riding one this Saturday.
    I'm not really seriously thinking of buying one, but am genuinely intrigued, and there's a dealer near me so I thought why not.
    Haven't currently decided whether to arrive on the 790, the Nordwest, the H2 the 525EXC or in the car...

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Liked 2,324 in 1,436 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    Dependant on how my morning goes, I'm riding one this Saturday.
    I'm not really seriously thinking of buying one, but am genuinely intrigued, and there's a dealer near me so I thought why not.
    Haven't currently decided whether to arrive on the 790, the Nordwest, the H2 the 525EXC or in the car...
    Look forward to reading your review.

Liked 6,005 in 3,116 posts

I'd rather like one.
    But I've doomed myself to always comparing anything/everything to Couchies old CBR600 sat in the garage, and I haven't seen a single motorcycle in 12 months that I could reasonably go "Yeah, it's loads better, I think I'll get one".

The bike looks great and from the reviews it rides well, and the absolute smasher is the price.
    It goes to show what sort of thing you can do when you're selling hundreds of thousands of bikes and you have that sort of scale to adjust your margins.

Liked 1,312 in 581 posts

Well, the weather was a bit shit but I popped over to my local Enfield dealer today in the car to take a look and have a little go on one of the twins, they've got one of each, the Interceptor, and the GT in what seem to be the default colours.

I'd never seen one in the metal until today, and I must admit, was pleasantly surprised, although of course, it will be interesting to see how they look after a few months on mucky roads, the build quality is undoubtedly another level or two up from where the singles have been, and I'd put it on a par with 390 KTMs (also built in India), and whilst the 390s are definitely a bit cheaper and sort of Chinese looking in places compared to their bigger KTM brothers, overall they are OK

Without a doubt, by far the most desirable for me was the Continental GT- not just because it looked the sportiest ( a relative term), it just seemed better designed aesthetically to me in that the tank looked a better shape and more sensible width, and the seat, and bars (sort of clip-ons on the GT compared to a bit naff chromed and braced 70s MX type bars on the Interceptor ) were better.

And although I couldn't ride the GT today, I sat on it it and it felt much more " normal" to me- by that I mean the relationship between the bars, footrests, and seat/tank just felt more right whereas that was the aspect that felt quite weird to me on the Interceptor, not really like anything else I've ridden, and I've ridden lots of stuff.

It feels for me like the footrests are just in a very strange position- the nature of the bike and engine means that they feel very wide apart, and I think this is exagerated by the relatively thin tank on the Interceptor, but its more than that, its the also relatively thin and lowish seat, and what seemed to me to be wide bars- I don't think its as I just ride sports bikes, as I don't , but it feels strange to me.

As for the rest of it,

• it's quite loud, sounds cool- Until today I never knew that it was a 270 degree crank , so like the KTM 790, it sounds like a V
    • The bottom end of the motor is F. massive! very large looking, relatively speaking and quite short looking barrels
    • Clocks seem very small, compared to something like a bandit- they are fine, just look quite small diameter to me.
    • its goes a hell of a lot better than I was expecting for 40-odd hp

Pretty punchy and definitely not gutless;- although when you wind it on it's obvious there's not too much there, it's a perfect sort of motor for gentle bimbling but definitely still got enough to be fun without getting you into trouble and sounds cool too. I can imagine it could feel a bit underpowered on a motorway or if you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry, but that really isn't either of them are about so it's a bit of a pointless comment I guess, but hopefully, you get the point.

The suspension looked the same on both bikes to me, and was another strange aspect- at rest, sitting on it and bouncing it it felt soft at the front, but stiff and very over-damped at the rear, but out on the road, it feels anything but - the roads were pretty grotty and slimy so there were no heroics, but it felt dead soggy TBH, to the point that if I had one I would have to do something with it.
    The rear shocks look pretty cool IMO, but as far as I can see are adjustable for pre-load only so I reckon that would mean new shocks, and some new guts for the forks as far as I can see, there is no adjustment on them.

So, I guess the question is, would I buy one?
    The answer for me is currently no- although the Continental GT definitely has an appeal at that price, the dealer also had this sitting there in the showroom which although undoubtedly an unfair comparison, as it was up at almost twice the price of the RE, numberplate hanger aside is just so so much lovlier (to me anyway) in every way to look at, even before you start comparing specs etc, that if I was in the market for this sort of bike, and could only afford the Enfield, I would honestly scrimp and save for however much longer it took to be able to afford the Triumph.
    In fact, seeing it, made me want to ride it, or one of the same, so once the weather cheers up, that's what I'm going to do

Edit:- They are, according to this dealer at least, in short supply already- the only two they'd had so far are these ones which although they will, of course, sell, they won't yet as they are for demo, and although he seemed pretty vague about lead times, I got the impression that its at least a couple of months.

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by TrickyDicky:

Liked 2,324 in 1,436 posts

Excellent review. Agree with you about the tank on the Interceptor. Not as good looking as the tank on the Café racer.

Liked 6,556 in 3,725 posts

I've only seen them in pics, but I think the Interceptor looks the better, especially in the grey...

I like the egg shaped bottom end, looks like a BSA Unit Twin.

I think the tank seam looks a bit too deep.

That rear brake pedal lets the whole thing down.

12. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 6,005 in 3,116 posts

I prefer the Interceptor, the cafe racer thing looks like it's trying a bit too hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission