TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: I've got another lathe...

Liked 4,731 in 2,313 posts

Default I've got another lathe...

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    The background. I got an ML3 cheap a couple of years ago. Turns out it was cheap for a reason, and isnt a lot of use without spending more than it cost me. Just recently I found a Colchester Student with all the toys, and in lovely condition, and it was right at the point where I could afford it, but it wouldn't leave a lot of slack in the system. I was teetering on the point of going for it.
    This weekend we finally managed to sneak out to fetch a dead GPz and the chap asked me if I could get rid of a lathe for him. (I think he thought I was a scrap dealer...) So we chucked this in the van with the bike.

Its a Drummond M type, made but Myford in 1946. Seems to be all there, some bits are stuck, but most of it seems to be loosening up with a bit of 3 in 1 oil and WD40. I wired up the motor today and it is fine, despite looking a bit iffy, and with a lot of cleaning and probably consulting a higher authority, should do eveny thing I need a lathe to do.
    The pieces..

2. The following 4 users liked this useful post by chillitt:

Liked 5,974 in 3,758 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I've got another lathe...

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,942 in 2,784 posts

Great find!

So. Electrolysis or citric acid? Dunk and forget, come back next day to a perfectly rust free pile of bits. Lazy mans way to rust removal. My favourite!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Great find!

So. Electrolysis or citric acid? Dunk and forget, come back next day to a perfectly rust free pile of bits. Lazy mans way to rust removal. My favourite!
    I didn't find it, it fell in my lap! Im thinking of giving citric a go on the gears and such. Mixed tactics for the win, I reckon. some of its for a wire brush, some for scotchbrite and some in the electrolysis tank. and gallons of 3 in 1 and WD.

At Work
    Liked 845 in 302 posts

Nice that he gave you the collet chuck , face plate ect, makes it all the more worthwhile.
    Its still a long way off a Colchester Student though.

Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries

Wow it's tiny .went to see a friend on Saturday as he's just bought a lathe .
    the thing has a 5 meter bed hes put it in a room with windows either end so he can presumably get tank barrels into it .its Hungarian and has more lash than a house of correction.now he wants me to fix the clutch no chance .
    yours looks complete and very good if the engine works .love the leather belt .
    and it's free what a bargain .

8. The following user liked this post made by MrTack:

Quote Originally Posted by khd View Post
    Nice that he gave you the collet chuck , face plate ect, makes it all the more worthwhile.
    Its still a long way off a Colchester Student though.
    I'm under no illusions about the difference between the two, but if I do need a trick that the Colchester can do, I probably wont know how to do it. And I know a man with a Colchester and the skills... For now, nice square ends on bars and holes up the middle will be a giant leap forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Wow it's tiny .went to see a friend on Saturday as he's just bought a lathe .
    the thing has a 5 meter bed hes put it in a room with windows either end so he can presumably get tank barrels into it .its Hungarian and has more lash than a house of correction.now he wants me to fix the clutch no chance .
    yours looks complete and very good if the engine works .love the leather belt .
    and it's free what a bargain .
    I lashed a lead into the Dewhurst switch and it runs nicely and threw little bits of manky belt all over the garden. there is a length of decent belt with it though. . Still need to free a few bits off, but despite appearances It seems in fairly good order. I know where there is a huge one and I nearly inherited it, but there was a huge hole in the tin roof over it that had been there for 20 years. It was a co-inheritors attitude that put me off trying too hard to get it though.

11. The following user liked this post made by chillitt:

Dammit. I must resist.

<failed>

OK. Where is this amazing Colchester Student? I already have one but I may be running it into the ground as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    Dammit. I must resist.

<failed>

OK. Where is this amazing Colchester Student? I already have one but I may be running it into the ground as we speak.
    He wants 1500 quid for it...

Quote Originally Posted by chillitt View Post
    He wants 1500 quid for it...
    Thanks. I'm out!

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Screwdriver:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission