TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Leading on from formula400 thread. Very damp man shed

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 in 804 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Leading on from formula400 thread. Very damp man shed

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have a big brick man shed at the bottom of my garden. 4.5 m by 10. So itís a great space ... but in winter it gets very damp.
    lots of opportunities for air to circulate. The floor is a rubbish concrete one, with lots of holes.
    Anything kept down there gets mildew on it ... and what really pisses me off is that all my tools get a ginger coating in the winter.
    the previous owners have build a raised flowerbed against the left corner ... so breaching was seems to be a DPC or some sort of barrier. I cannot remove the raise flowerbed as planted in it is a fantastic wisteria... and I have been informed that is off limits.
    I have dug away the earth piled up against the back wall, the side walls are free. So the bed, which is about 1.5 along the lest edge and maybe 0.5 m deep, is the only thing piled up against it.
    is there anyway of doing anything on the inside to ďtankĒ that area of brick work? Or is that only a minor contributor to the damp issue , as all unseated sheds will be damp this time of year?
    or any other suggestions...?

Liked 1,340 in 766 posts

Default Re: Leading on from formula400 thread. Very damp man shed

Who said the wisteria is off limits?

Liked 1,240 in 804 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Who said the wisteria is off limits?
    The Pietta ....

Liked 899 in 500 posts

One is assuming it is a single skin wall with a DPC 2 courses up from Ground level. One also assumes the floor is level with the DPC but has no DPM under it linking to the DPC. This is based on your description of the floor spalling and being damp. Anything outside which holds moisture such as topsoil against the wall will allow that moisture to be held and in time it will penetrate the wall. The DPC is only designed to stop moisture rising and if not linked to a DPM under the floor moisture will penetrate horizontally into the wall and floor both above and below the DPC.

Internal tanking is generally accommodated by making a sandwich between two walls by applying a layer of Bituthene of similar waterproof product to the inside face then building another skin to retain it. It also needs to be linked to the DPM under the floor. There are other products but all do the same thing so this is probably not an option. Without seeing your wisteria I would suggest digging out as much soil as possible and applying RIW in several coats to the surface of the wall after it has been dried out.

Any sidewalls to the planter need to be separated from the shed wall with a DPM as well as moisture will again use these as a route to penetrate the shed wall. In relation to ventilation you need airflow at high and low level so some soffit vents and air vents at low level will allow this. If you have the room another floor over your dodgy concrete would help 18mm ply on 2x2 joists on top of a polythene DPM avoiding fixing the joists into the concrete just making it frame for the ply to sit on.

5. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

Liked 1,240 in 804 posts
    Blog Entries

^ thanks for that ...
    sound like a really major job ....
    ‘will keeping it well ventilated help without it being a huge construction job?
    I will post a picture this weekend

Liked 899 in 500 posts

It will certainly help. Soffit vents pack of Ten from screwfix are about a fiver just need a hole cutter the correct size. Vents for lower down either drill lots of holes and stick a vent over or cut out a brick and again stick a vent over. Lower vents need to be opposite each other each side of the shed to aid airflow. If you get hit and miss ones you can close them when you are slaving away in the shed to stop the draught

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission