TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clobber: Recommendations For Protective Clothing

Liked 1,000 in 518 posts

Default Re: Clobber: Recommendations For Protective Clothing

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    That's odd, I tend to be a shoei head, never found an Arai that fits, but my FF is HJC which is also a great fit. But some of the 'cheaper' HJC's are really uncomfortable so definitely try helmet on beforehand.

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,487 in 2,114 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    That's odd, I tend to be a shoei head, never found an Arai that fits, but my FF is HJC which is also a great fit. But some of the 'cheaper' HJC's are really uncomfortable so definitely try helmet on beforehand.
    I tried the HJC that is an MX lid with a visor, it felt very similar to the Arai (I think it's a Tourmax) but I bought the Arai.

Liked 1,788 in 1,170 posts

I had an Arai but bulked at the prices when I last for a lid and went for a Shark. Great fit/comfort, good vents, less noisy than the Arai and I wouldn't have a lid without a drop down visor now I've had one so won't go back to Arai now unless they change. I'd say the Arai is slightly better built, but their visor change is bobbins. Think it'll be another Shark for me next time.

On colours I had a white lid in my accident, use black now. Not bothered either way, I reckon if they can't see a bloody motorbike with a person sitting on it they're unlikely to notice a lid.

Liked 2,448 in 1,511 posts

Thanks for that Superí. I didnít know they had changed the visor mechanism. I need to look into that. I like being able to flip my visor up and down with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KorkyKat View Post
    Thanks for that Super’. I didn’t know they had changed the visor mechanism. I need to look into that. I like being able to flip my visor up and down with one hand.
    I meant changing visors as opposed to opening/closing. Arai were fine for that but the change process whilst OK once learnt is bobbins compared to most other lids.

Again having said that I don't need to change visors now as the shark has the built in drop down, which is also great as you can have the main visor up and the dark one down and gets lots more ventilation in town without worrying about getting a bug in the eye!

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,912 in 1,973 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordboy View Post
    I had an HJC that felt OK in the shop but was unbearable after wearing it for an hour. My head is not HJC shaped.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 896 in 521 posts

For clothing, check out MotoCAP ratings... www.motocap.com.au

I'm currently working with Dr Chris Hurren who is behind the destruction-testing regime. Some of the results are scary. Some of the highly rated garments aren't doing too well.

8. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    For clothing, check out MotoCAP ratings... www.motocap.com.au

I'm currently working with Dr Chris Hurren who is behind the destruction-testing regime. Some of the results are scary. Some of the highly rated garments aren't doing too well.
    So are the EU safety tests moody or are the manufacturers supplying one offs for testing?

Liked 3,339 in 2,202 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Supermofo View Post
    So are the EU safety tests moody or are the manufacturers supplying one offs for testing?
    The Australian testing is IIRC a new standard, it doesn't replicate CE testing. They also provide subjective values for 'comfort'.

Also, I think that some CE testing is undertaken by the manufacturer, self-certifying.

Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Liked 4,759 in 2,984 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    The Australian testing is IIRC a new standard, it doesn't replicate CE testing. They also provide subjective values for 'comfort'.

Also, I think that some CE testing is undertaken by the manufacturer, self-certifying.
    Current PPE regs include ergonomics of the stuff.
    Only class 1 PPE can be self certified, lame stuff like swimming goggles, oven gloves rate as class 2 etc.

Liked 7,243 in 4,085 posts

I spotted the otherday that Arai have a new budget lid out, I assume it replaces the Axcess III in the range, it's called Debut and the single colour plain options are £299. I like the matt black.

13. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 2,535 in 1,226 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    I spotted the otherday that Arai have a new budget lid out, I assume it replaces the Axcess III in the range, it's called Debut and the single colour plain options are £299. I like the matt black.
    That looks just the ticket for me I'll check it out as soon as I can.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post

I think you might be right, looking at the Bull-it jeans for instance they say they meet the triple AAA rating for abrasion which is 120 kph and they last 5 seconds slide time. But then they say "The SP120 LITE range is a high performance protective motorcycle jean, tested to the incoming en17092 standard (currently in draft). Our SP120 LITE range has achieved the AAA rating (120KPH) for abrasion resistance." So I assume they are self testing that if it's still in draft form?

The Australian test rates them at an average of 2 seconds at 28 kph which is a big difference.

http://www.bull-it.com/products-2017...tage-easy.html

https://www.motocap.com.au/product/s...-heritage-easy

Looks like very little that isn't leather is rated well. A couple of pairs of denims aside it's all leather stuff getting lots of stars although not masses of products on there yet. Having said that I have seen claims of 4-11 seconds for some denim jeans and the likelihood of you sliding for that long without coming to a very sudden stop from hitting something are probably low on the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission