TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Spin in NZ - The 'Burt'

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Default Spin in NZ - The 'Burt'

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Just over a week into the Shiny Side Up Tour 2019, and Judy and I have arrived at Invercargill in the far south of South Island.

The first day-long event in Nelson last Sunday was a big success (although I had a bit of an autoplay video failure on my second presentation which was annoying), with well over 1000 people coming to the site. From there we travelled to Christchurch to do the first of the evening talk series where I gave my Science Of Being Seen (SOBS) talk. That went down well, with the now-usual question on whether headlight modulators are effective - the answer is that they appear to enhance conspicuity at long range (which may help prevent head-on collisions when a vehicle overtakes into the path of the bike) but not at short range in an urban environment.

Nelson had been warm - around 30c, but according to the gauge on the Tracer 900 that I'm riding, it climbed to 36c on the way to Christchurch.

On Tuesday, we spent three hours looking round Christchurch. There's a lot of new buildings that have just opened in the commercial centre, but there are still a lot of empty lots and historic buildings either propped up or being reconstructed. The 'Cardboard Cathedral' is a pretty amazing building too.

Then we headed off to Dunedin for an intermediate stop. Last year we had another evening event here and never got time to look around but this year we had the evening and following morning free. The ride down proved interesting. Firstly, as soon as we left Christchurch, the wind picked up - apparently it was around 50-60 kph. It was a gusty side wind which blew the bike clean out of the lane a couple of times. The narrow single track bridges over gorges were a bit of a challenge. The temperature peaked around 34c... and then suddenly dropped as a cold front came in. By the time we reached Dunedin, it was down to 12c and we'd not only dug out a fleece, we'd both put waterproofs on to stay warm!

Dunedin has a wonderful Victorian railway station and right next to it, the Otago Settlers' museum is a good introduction to life in the region. Although it's mostly Western artifacts - including some wonderful Victorian finds from the drained swamp - there's a strong sense of Maori tradition there too. Bike Breaker would have loved the immaculately restored Velocette LE on display.

Riding out from Dunedin lunchtime on Wednesday, I opted for a scenic route rather than the coastal highway. As I half-expected, the windy road up via a lake in the hills turned out to be gravel, so I carried on down the tarmac backroad... only for that to turn to gravel too. I'm quite happy riding on these roads, but I was aware that:

a) the bike's not mine and there is a big insurance bond on it if I drop it
    b) I was two-up, fully loaded with luggage
    c) I was on road tyres
    d) I was on my own

But it looked well graded and to avoid it would have needed some back-tracking... so we carried on. I have to report that the Tracer is perfectly rideable on those kind of roads, even on road tyres. The only time things got a bit awkward was approaching a blind crest where I got into the wrong rut and couldn't get back across the ridge of loose chippings and ended up cresting the rise pretty much slap bang in the middle of the road. Fortunately nothing was coming the other way.

Back onto tarmac after about 15km, we stopped for lunch and to warm up - the temps were still only around 14c - before rolling into Invercargill at about 6:30, to be met by the rest of the party and told to jump off the bike and straight into the car to head to supper.

On site first thing Thurs to get the tent interior set up, the day was relatively quiet but Friday warmed up nicely as the beer flowed in the evening. And tonight will be a busy one.

And I got an email from one of my old trainees, a woman called Sarah. I took her on a 'Confidence: BUILDER' course about twelve years ago because she was struggling to turn right. A year later she did my two day cornering course and a few months later I got a message from her - she was in Italy negotiating the Stelvio pass. A year after that and she was in Morocco riding solo.

Now she's here, having shipped the bike to Australia and New Zealand! Hopefully I'll catch her at some point today.

And some photos of the tent where I'm working here:

https://www.facebook.com/SurvivalSki...55107574521815

2. The following 4 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 5,382 in 3,371 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spin in NZ - The 'Burt'

Glad you're having fun. Spent 3 months there in 1986. Lovely place.

4. The following user liked this post made by Yorick:

Liked 2,956 in 1,948 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Glad you're having fun. Spent 3 months there in 1986. Lovely place.
    They still talk about you

Leaving

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Horse:

Liked 5,382 in 3,371 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    They still talk about you

Leaving

I arrived shit faced after 11 hour flight from Hawaii with free booze all the way. Was eventually deported to Oz

8. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Yorick:

Liked 362 in 137 posts

its always cold and rainy at the burt!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,690 in 1,822 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    I arrived shit faced after 11 hour flight from Hawaii with free booze all the way. Was eventually deported to Oz
    Oz has a long history of accepting undesirables.

11. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Cousin Jack:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    its always cold and rainy at the burt!
    Not this year Nor last, either!

They moved the event a few years back to late summer. Last year we had some rain on the Sunday which forced the cancellation of the street race but this year we had wall-to-wall sun. Thursday was a bit chilly and it turned distinctly cold after the sun went down and the temperature dropped for 4c overnight. But Friday was sweltering into the 30s and Saturday was warm too - mid to high 20s I'd guess.

Today we rode up to Manipouri for a couple of days R&R on the way to the next event.

We catch the ferry back to North Island on Thursday afternoon then I'm taking one of the 'Ride Forever' Gold courses on Friday along with the rest of the team, then we head to Kapiti for the next Shiny Side Up event on Sunday next.

After that we have a series of evening events up the east coast (Napier, Gisborne, Tauranga and Taupo) before we cross over to New Plymouth for the third of our weekend events.

We then have our second R&R break and we're heading to Coromandel for a few days.

After that we have a two-day event at Hampton Downs at the race circuit, and we round off with a final evening event in Auckland.

Then we're taking a week's holiday before flying back to Blighty for mid-March

13. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 1,975 in 961 posts
    Blog Entries

Love those roads that turn to gravel with no warning

Liked 180 in 109 posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Not this year Nor last, either!

They moved the event a few years back to late summer. Last year we had some rain on the Sunday which forced the cancellation of the street race but this year we had wall-to-wall sun. Thursday was a bit chilly and it turned distinctly cold after the sun went down and the temperature dropped for 4c overnight. But Friday was sweltering into the 30s and Saturday was warm too - mid to high 20s I'd guess.

Today we rode up to Manipouri for a couple of days R&R on the way to the next event.

We catch the ferry back to North Island on Thursday afternoon then I'm taking one of the 'Ride Forever' Gold courses on Friday along with the rest of the team, then we head to Kapiti for the next Shiny Side Up event on Sunday next.

After that we have a series of evening events up the east coast (Napier, Gisborne, Tauranga and Taupo) before we cross over to New Plymouth for the third of our weekend events.

We then have our second R&R break and we're heading to Coromandel for a few days.

After that we have a two-day event at Hampton Downs at the race circuit, and we round off with a final evening event in Auckland.

Then we're taking a week's holiday before flying back to Blighty for mid-March
    We are nearly but not quite going to cross paths! I land in Christchurch Saturday 16th for my 2 week tour of the South Island and to race at the BEARS meeting at Ruapuna Park on my Ducati 900

Weather looks pretty settled which is usual for this time of year based on my trips over the last 5/6 years now!

16. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Bladerideressex:

Liked 9,736 in 5,612 posts

Seems like you've just shown a repeat of Henry Coles show which funnily enough i watched this exact episode this weekend.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
    Love those roads that turn to gravel with no warning
    Yes, they are fun The Tracer 900 on road Dunlops was perfectly manageable on a graded road but I wouldn't have liked to try it on mud!!

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerideressex View Post
    We are nearly but not quite going to cross paths! I land in Christchurch Saturday 16th for my 2 week tour of the South Island and to race at the BEARS meeting at Ruapuna Park on my Ducati 900

Weather looks pretty settled which is usual for this time of year based on my trips over the last 5/6 years now!
    Have fun... we have Andrew Stroud doing to the tour with us, talking about his racing career. We had one of the Brittens on the stand on Sunday afternoon.

20. The following 2 users liked this useful post by The Spin Doctor:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 776 in 453 posts

Quote Originally Posted by weeksy View Post
    seems like you've just shown a repeat of henry coles show which funnily enough i watched this exact episode this weekend.
    lol

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission