TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Clio dci exhaust leak

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 in 796 posts

Default Clio dci exhaust leak

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Following no.1's crash in his 1.5DCi (106) Clio I bought another one with a knackered engine and swapped over the engine from the crashed car.
    All has been good for the last month and a bit, but yesterday he hit a very large pothole followed by a VERY loud car quite a bit down on performance.

So, exhaust gas is leaking very heavily - no pressure at all at rear and presume it's pre-turbo if the boost is down also?
    Does anyone know if it's likely to be sheared exhaust studs or cracked manifold or any other likely weak points.
    I'm heading home tomorrow evening and would like to get it sorted Thurs morning.

Luckily I haven't scapped the bad engine yet (bottom end went) so should have a complete set of spares...not that that'll necessarily help if it's sheared studs or mounts on the cylinder head.

Anyway, interested if anyone knows 'those DCi's have notorious weak studs/manifold/etc'
    Also, do you reckon I could use RTV rather than having to source a new exhaust gasket, as I'm not near likely gasket suppliers during opening hours?

Ta!

Liked 533 in 291 posts

Default Re: Clio dci exhaust leak

I would think it was most likely to be the turbo/manifold joint that's leaking. Manifold/head joint is usually pretty solid but the turbo is held on with 3 or 4 studs. I haven't heard of any weakness in the manifold or studs but my experience is (thankfully) limited.

Do not use RTV for the exhaust gasket.

If you need a gasket for the turbo joints let me know and I can probably find one for you.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 in 796 posts

Default Re: Clio dci exhaust leak

Thanks Druid.

It's the small EGR metal flexi pipe that has sheared.
    Annoyingly it is just about the most difficult to get to pipe I can think of, anywhere on the car.
    I even struggled a bit getting the good one of the engine that I have out of the car, let alone the one that has failed.
    Just about every angle you'd want to get a spanner/socket in had things in the way.
    I'm at the stage I'm going to take the engine out again just to get access!

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission