TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Lime plaster - sudden cracking.

Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

Default Lime plaster - sudden cracking.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi all.

My house is 247 years old. The wood in it is about 100 years older. It's all lime horsehair plaster, re-done three years ago. Suddenly I've noticed cracking appearing everywhere. Along the edges where the plaster meets the beams, around window frames etc. It's all appeared in the last 4-6 weeks and it's all over the house. I do have a person coming to do a survey but thought I'd ask you lot as I know we have some knowledge here. Should I be worried?

Clay soil, so movement expected. Brick to the first floor then wood.

Liked 2,745 in 1,635 posts

Default Re: Lime plaster - sudden cracking.

Normal in my old house. Lime is supposedly better but it can't work miracles.

Liked 1,350 in 950 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    Hi all.

My house is 247 years old. The wood in it is about 100 years older. It's all lime horsehair plaster, re-done three years ago. Suddenly I've noticed cracking appearing everywhere. Along the edges where the plaster meets the beams, around window frames etc. It's all appeared in the last 4-6 weeks and it's all over the house. I do have a person coming to do a survey but thought I'd ask you lot as I know we have some knowledge here. Should I be worried?

Clay soil, so movement expected. Brick to the first floor then wood.
    Forget 247 years, this is probably the important date. Last year was the dryest in a few years so I'd suspect something to do with that. A few years back I was in a 100 year old place and it suddenly developed unexplained cracks on all the walls, apparently nothing serious but never properly explained. I just bought a 50 year old bungalow that's been redecorated a few times and the plaster was riddled with cracks, I had a structural survey done and the surveyor said there was no hint of subsidance.

Liked 944 in 529 posts

From your description I would not be overly concerned. We have had a couple of very dry summers and being a timber frame will shrink warp and settle especially after wet plaster was applied. The new plaster will have made the wood damp on application and expanded it and as it dries it shrinks as does the plaster and you get differential settlement. Cracking around openings and exposed timbers will be pretty normal and as the property is built in clay it will settle as the clay shrinks again the frame will twist move and cracking will occur.

5. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

Should Get Out More
    Liked 2,032 in 989 posts
    Blog Entries

^That

Lime plaster also takes an absolute age to fully dry out, because it's not doing the same chemical reaction thing as cement mortar. And any timber frame will have dried and shrunk if you have had a lot of dry weather

Liked 1,380 in 657 posts

Ok, I’ll not worry and will keep an eye on it. Cheers all.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission