TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Is this battery dead ???

Liked 449 in 196 posts

Default Is this battery dead ???

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Right I started a thread last year as I killed the battery on the triple, I’ve not been on it much as last year was mad toward’s the end and then had the accident, any ways for the last month or so I‘ve had it on a charger, it went down to 2 lights when I first put it on then after a day or so it went to green,but when I turn it off after a few mins the green disappears and goes to orange, does this mean the battery is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 305 in 152 posts

Default Re: Is this battery dead ???

No idea as I don't know what charger you'r using. Don't you have a manual for it?

Liked 449 in 196 posts

its the oxford Oximiser 600

this if from the oxford site

1) Connect the charger to the battery, either by plugging into the permanent lead or by connecting thered clamp to the positive post and the black clamp to the negative post. To charge the battery, plugthe OXIMISER into a mains socket (220-240V ac). The OXIMISER indicates “power on” byilluminating the green left side LED. The OXIMISER will warn of inverse connection of theclamps by illuminating the right side red LED. Ensure that the clamps make a good contact with the posts.

2) Check the OXIMISER’s centre charge display. If only the bottom red LED is lit, then the battery is probably irrecoverable because it is very discharged (less than 3 Volts) or it cannot retain charge as it is damaged.

3) If the bottom two LEDs (red and orange) on the charge display are lit, the battery is between 3 and6 Volts. If three LEDs (red, orange and yellow) are lit, the battery is between 6 and 12 Volts.

4) When the battery reaches approximately 14.3 Volts, all four LEDs on the centre charge displayilluminate, indicating a full charge. If the OXIMISER remains connected, it will automatically maintaina serviceable battery close to its fully charged capacity by continuing to charge at a very low rate(trickle charge). This method helps to prevent the damage from overcharging that can be caused bystandard battery chargers.Note:A discharged battery may take some time to fully recover. This period varies according to thebattery’s condition, charge and capacity (in Ah). If the battery fails to reach full charge within 48 hours,if possible check the specific gravity of each cell’s electrolyte using a hydrometer. A hydrometer offersan accurate indication of a battery’s health. A similar reading in each cell is expected in a serviceablebattery. A reading of 1.250 indicates a fully charged serviceable cell. If a large difference in readings isobserved or one cell is noticeably lower, immediately stop charging and have the battery professionallyassessed.

Liked 899 in 500 posts

I have a Honda charger. If you switch it off and leave it for a few mins it goes to Orange when reconnected then back to Green after a short period. That said the only way to check is try it on the bike and see if it turns it over with out any issues. It may display good voltage on a meter when fully charged but drop a volt or so after a few hours which means fubard. But if it has a cell gone it wont even turn the bike over even if showing full voltage on a meter after charging. Soon as the Amps are called for it falls at the starting post. My Gs had a perfectly good battery one week and despite being on a charger was fubard the next week. Keeping a battery on a tender is not good week on week off is good.

Liked 449 in 196 posts

ok, ill try that and see how it goes.

if this one is buggered and i get a new one, whats the best way to keep it healthy whilst not being used a for few weeks? week on charge and then a week off it

Liked 899 in 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by formula400 View Post

if this one is buggered and i get a new one, whats the best way to keep it healthy whilst not being used a for few weeks? week on charge and then a week off it
    In my opinion yes

7. The following user liked this post made by maccecht:

Liked 449 in 196 posts

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    In my opinion yes
    Ok cool, cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked 153 in 81 posts

Quote Originally Posted by formula400 View Post

RTFM

If the OXIMISER remains connected, it will automatically maintaina serviceable battery close to its fully charged capacity by continuing to charge at a very low rate(trickle charge).
    Like the Optimate, it's designed to be connected to the battery 24/7. NEVER switch it off and leave it connected to the battery, as this will probably kill your battery in a couple of days as it will drain it flat.

Liked 449 in 196 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    RTFM

Like the Optimate, it's designed to be connected to the battery 24/7. NEVER switch it off and leave it connected to the battery, as this will probably kill your battery in a couple of days as it will drain it flat.
    fair play, i bloody hate batteries.

Liked 899 in 500 posts

To put it into context a trickle charger can shag your battery if left on permanently hence my advice above. A float charger should maintain your battery if your Oximiser is both it should be fine if it is just a trickle charger it will shag it eventually. So as doc says check the paperwork with the Oximiser and see if it is a combined unit.

Liked 449 in 196 posts

Maccect this is from the oxford site, so i can leave it on all the time

Description:

Oximiser 600 can be left permanently connected to provide guaranteed long term battery care.
    Quickly charges battery at up to 600mA/hour until full and maintains a gentle trickle charge to keep battery optimised.

Essential Battery Optimiser
     Suitable for 12V automotive battery types up to 30Ah including:
     Gel, AGM and maintenance free
     Recovers deeply discharged batteries
     Protected against short circuits
     2 year guarantee

3 Stage battery management system:

Polarity Check:
    Checks the battery leads have been connected correctly

Bulk Fast Charge:
    Charges at a fast rate to bring the battery to approximately 85% capacity

Float Charge:
    Applies a small float charge current to maintain voltage

Liked 899 in 500 posts

According to the blurb yes. But in my experience taking it off for a few days is beneficial. Recently had a battery die on me despite having it on a float charger and like you bike rarely got used. A float charger monitors the battery and if the voltage drops it then gives it a small boost and repeats the process continually. My boss keeps a RR in his garage and was on charge full time from a RR issued flat charger his battery died as well. I believe float chargers are good but 24/7 365 days a year charging a battery will shag it in my opinion. Taking the charger off for a few days every few weeks will give the battery a rest. Up to you though.

Liked 449 in 196 posts

ill take it off and leave it and see how it goes, but i guess ill need a new one for it though.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission