TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Green Lanes

A Bit Bored
    Liked 115 in 46 posts

Default Green Lanes

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi,

I have a fireblade that i love but am missing going off road on my old WR125R, so am thinking about getting another bike to go along with the fireblade.

Someone said something like a KTM450 would suit, for the green lanes, but still ok on tarmac, dirty country lanes etc, then i was told that a 450, and even a 250 will be too 'savage'

I guess i want a winter bike that i wont mind throwing into a ditch/summer muddy days in derbyshire. No intention of going to a track or groups, im definitely a 4am loner

oh, im 6ft4 and have sat on plenty of bikes that i dont fit!

any discussion is appreciated

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,177 in 1,917 posts

Default Re: Green Lanes

Get a DRZ400, they're not the fastest or lightest, but they are the most reliable and will with stand an amazing amount of abuse.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

A Bit Bored
    Liked 115 in 46 posts

thanks, ill have a look at them, and a recommendation for a 400 then!

You're a big bloke, I don't think a 4 stroke 250 will have enough torque for you, the 450s will be a bit too much, DRZs come in two varieties (there's a 3rd kick start only bike that's fairly rare) trail or enduro, the trail is fully road legal and about 30bhp, the enduro is sort of road legal, noisy, weighs less and makes another 5bhp.
    You're big enough not to worry about the weight or the high seat.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

A Bit Bored
    Liked 115 in 46 posts

bear with me a bit here, 4 stroke is like with my fireblade right? 2 stroke is where you have to put oil and mix with the fuel, doubt ill be wanting to mess around with that, or rebuilding it (I have read about people rebuilding them after every ride!)

I dont think ill be able to use a kickstart with my dodgy knees, the DRZ400S looks like the sort of thing im after (I wish i knew more about bikes than i do) so ill keep an eye on them

Thanks for your help

Yep 4 stroke is like your Fireblade, 2 stroke off road bikes tend to be very competition biased these days, they're light and fast, but you need to be reasonable off road to ride one - not bikes for beginners.

I believe you live in Chesterfield, there are quite a lot of Green Lanes in te Peak District, but most of them are quite difficult, you might be better off having a go somewhere flatter first, contact your local TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) for advice.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 115 in 46 posts

yeah, i have been on most of them in the peak district on my 125, and some bits were hard work, and to be fair, that made it less fun. I did get stuck on a couple of hills wont go up, keeps sliding back down but made it after a few attempts. There is a great smoothish trail starting near Abney that is dead easy that I loved riding up to and stopping half way for a cuppa.

The council state 15mph limit on them, since i always go alone, im never sure if anyone takes any notice of them, but some of them are literally all loose rocks and boulders, landing on them does not look any fun at 5mph, let alone 30!

I dont know when ill be getting one, but at least i know a bit more to start looking now.

Thanks

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission