TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Aircraft: Boing 737 Max Disaster

Liked 2,328 in 1,194 posts

Default Re: Aircraft: Boing 737 Max Disaster

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    I know that flicking the cut-out switches removes both from the equation but it would help to understand the crash better if that^ was less ambiguous.
    That's the point, removing the power from the jackscrew motor means whatever inputs are applied from electrical control systems are irrelevant because it's only being driven mechanically, by the cable attached to the handwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by davidat19 View Post
    If it had been less ambiguous there probably wouldnt have been any crashes.
    Exactly. Which is one of the root cause problems. Boeing wanted to grandfather the MAX so made the MCAS transparent and didn't tell crews it existed, so conversion to type only consisted of a few flights in the sim. Hard to control the malfunction of a system you don't know exists and which is repeatedly forcing the nose down on trim when you're trying to fight it on the stick.

2. The following user liked this post made by Tomcat:

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,454 in 891 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    That's the point, removing the power from the jackscrew motor means whatever inputs are applied from electrical control systems are irrelevant because it's only being driven mechanically, by the cable attached to the handwheel.
    So, before the power is removed from the jackscrew motor, does the stabiliser control on the yoke just pause MCAS from moving the stabiliser or does it actually move the stabiliser, because everything I've read doesn't make it clear?

Liked 2,840 in 2,017 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Exactly. Which is one of the root cause problems. Boeing wanted to grandfather the MAX so made the MCAS transparent and didn't tell crews it existed, so conversion to type only consisted of a few flights in the sim. Hard to control the malfunction of a system you don't know exists and which is repeatedly forcing the nose down on trim when you're trying to fight it on the stick.
    If pilots did not know about the existence of MCAS, let alone how it functioned, then when the aircraft responded to control inputs in unpredictable ways then the pilots were on a hiding to nothing. Shocking.

Liked 3,971 in 2,679 posts
    Blog Entries

Biggest danger in my long-haul days was getting your scarf caught in the rudder.

Liked 2,573 in 1,677 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ink ink View Post
    Biggest danger in my long-haul days was getting your scarf caught in the rudder.
    [X] Ghey slang

7. The following user liked this post made by slowsider:

Liked 1,349 in 950 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    Seems like I'm in a minority for actually having paid for my flying lessons!

In my youth I did interview with the RAF to become a fixed-wing pilot which went really well (I had spent every day for 2 months analysing the broadsheets on global affairs) right up until they did the test for colour-blindness*, which I'm is present albeit marginal. I was offered a guaranteed place as groundcrew but funnily enough I could hardly think of anything worse than daily seeing people doing the role I wanted.

* The orphan disability; no-one supports the colour-blind!
    I knew a guy whose only desire was to be an aircraft tech. He joined the navy as an apprentice where you request your preferred branch after a few months basic training, he was clearly in love with the fleet air arm and the only person not to get his choice. The instructor had a massive chip on his shoulder and did it out of spite, that must have been a right kick in the balls being denied your dream job on the whim of a bitter Petty Officer who gave him the news with a smile on his face.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,454 in 891 posts

Presumably after any live-fire exercises had finished!
    That's appalling!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission