TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bike thread - Yamaha XT660R

Liked 8,720 in 4,551 posts

Default Re: New bike thread!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Decided to ditch those cheap chinese bellwood red levers. So I bought some cheap chinese black levers and will swap the adjusters over.

Liked 9,612 in 5,524 posts

Decided to ditch those cheap chinese bellwood red levers. So I bought some cheap chinese black levers and will swap the adjusters over.

I'd still go with a stock M/C setup too myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I'd still go with a stock M/C setup too myself.
    S'funny you should say that. The previous owner bundled some crap into the top box, which I looked at yesterday, and one of those things is a square master cylinder.

S'funny you should say that. The previous owner bundled some crap into the top box, which I looked at yesterday, and one of those things is a square master cylinder.
    Ah, now we're talking...

I'm kinda curious as to why the other was fitted also... The only issue i ever had on the 660X was the span on the stock item, it was too far out... but could be fixed with aftermarket levers....

Ah, now we're talking...

I'm kinda curious as to why the other was fitted also... The only issue i ever had on the 660X was the span on the stock item, it was too far out... but could be fixed with aftermarket levers....
    XTX has twin 4 pot (I think) calipers with 320mm discs. The XTR has a single 2 pot caliper with a 300mm disc. It is woefully underbraked by todays standards. So I'd guess the master cylinder was an attempt at getting more lever pressure?

XTX has twin 4 pot (I think) calipers with 320mm discs. The XTR has a single 2 pot caliper with a 300mm disc. It is woefully underbraked by todays standards. So I'd guess the master cylinder was an attempt at getting more lever pressure?
    I've yet to be convinced that throwing on a generic MC is going to make a cheap caliper better. Any reason not to go XTX with 320 disc on the front ?

I've yet to be convinced that throwing on a generic MC is going to make a cheap caliper better. Any reason not to go XTX with 320 disc on the front ?
    I gather playing around with m/cylinder sizes can be effective. ISTR a good few people doing this back in the supermoto heyday.

XTX 320 disc caliper are on a different fork leg and cant be swapped. There are 320 disc conversions, but i'm unlikely to go down that route. Couchie said his XTR was okay, so i'll make sure the OEM set up is functioning 100% and take it from there?

https://www.off-the-road.de/en/XT-66...it-XT660R.html

I gather playing around with m/cylinder sizes can be effective. ISTR a good few people doing this back in the supermoto heyday.

XTX 320 disc caliper are on a different fork leg and cant be swapped. There are 320 disc conversions, but i'm unlikely to go down that route. Couchie said his XTR was okay, so i'll make sure the OEM set up is functioning 100% and take it from there?

https://www.off-the-road.de/en/XT-66...it-XT660R.html
    Seems excessive then yes if needing to swap legs or go down a full conversion kit. I rode a 660R once, but don't really recall a great deal about it. As you know, i loved the Xs though.

Out of interest, why did you buy an R not the X ?

Seems excessive then yes if needing to swap legs or go down a full conversion kit. I rode a 660R once, but don't really recall a great deal about it. As you know, i loved the Xs though.

Out of interest, why did you buy an R not the X ?
    I was looking at any bike, for commuting, up to 2k. Saw this and thought, I quite fancy a bit of light green laning, by that i mean cart tracks etc, so thought i'd give it a go. Unlikely to find a ULEZ compliant XTX for that budget, but if one had come up i'd have happily bought one as I love 'em. I only sold my old one because it wasn't ULEZ compliant.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission