TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Win 10 key

At Work
    Liked 447 in 270 posts

Default Win 10 key

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I have been given an old PC and would like to turn it in to a Linux web server of sorts
    The PC spec is i5 3.4g with 6g of ram and 1TB hard drive, onboard gfx & sound.

It has a fresh install of win 10 pro and I plan on wiping the HD and installing Linux
    on it but I would like to keep the win product/license key encase I want to put win 10
    back on it at a later date. (I dont want a dual boot setup)

Q) i dont know what data i need to save or where to find it so I can reuse the license/key
    at a later date, is it tied to a specific email address .

Liked 1,491 in 1,046 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Win 10 key

Is this fresh install of Win10 activated & accepted as geniune?

Do it properly. Create microsoft account if you haven't already got one. Use those details to log into your Win 10 PC. Navigate to your MS account using said PC & register it onto your account. Log out & in again to be sure. That's that win10 now linked & authenticated to you & that PC. When you do a fresh install & sugn in using you MS account when it asks you to do so, it will then authenticate vua MS's own servers.

That's it. Dunno why on earth you don't want dual boot though. It's easy enough & you can get rid of the little white on black screen asking you which one when you boot, so it slips straight into either Linux or Windows as default.

That's rather a good spec for just a web server though.

HTH

Liked 2,787 in 1,996 posts

I think some now are deep in the bios or some other area of the computer. As soon as you go online after a fresh install at a later date it will register. It did for me when i did Linux Mint for six miserable months.

4. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    I think some now are deep in the bios or some other area of the computer. As soon as you go online after a fresh install at a later date it will register. It did for me when i did Linux Mint for six miserable months.
    One of the experts on here tells me off when I say something like that. Anyhow the failsafe is to link the PC to your microsoft account. I've done a fair few clean installs of windows 10 & it works everytime so long as you follow what I typed earlier.

6. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    One of the experts on here tells me off when I say something like that. Anyhow the failsafe is to link the PC to your microsoft account. I've done a fair few clean installs of windows 10 & it works everytime so long as you follow what I typed earlier.
    In Eclipse case aye possibly. Mine would have been linked anyway as i was using it before so never needed to.

8. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

At Work
    Liked 447 in 270 posts

Ed & 1888 thank you both for your input, much appreciated

After reading the info here I checked and the PC was not linked to an email account so I followed the instructions
    and created a new one and linked it so thats sorted now.

I probly dont need them but I wanted to have the product key so i found a program and which pulled them
    out of windows, I say them as there is two, one of them is the bios key, or it said something about the bios anyway,
    cant show you now as its stuck on a blue screen updating, I think the last time it was used was 3 years ago so lots
    of updates to do.

I am going to try the dual boot setup and see how I get on with it

10. The following user liked this post made by Eclipse:

I used to use a wee program called Magic Jelly Bean. It worked from a pen drive so at the time i managed t get the key for XP then 7 that the college used so i can install them at home buy aye. It also found Office and Project keys what also came in handy.

12. The following user liked this post made by 1888:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Ed & 1888 thank you both for your input, much appreciated

After reading the info here I checked and the PC was not linked to an email account so I followed the instructions
    and created a new one and linked it so thats sorted now.

1 I probly dont need them

2 I am going to try the dual boot setup and see how I get on with it
    1 if it's a microsoft account & your device is showing up when you log in, no you don't.

2 Nothing to lose is there?! Makes it all a lot more versatile & assuming it's a tower then you'll have another drive bay anyhow for data/ films/ music etc.

If you really want it to fly then have the dual boot operating systems on a wee SSD. If the mobo is recent enough it might have a M.2 slot ( https://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/M2-SSD), which would then leave you with both sata HDD bays free. However for me that would entirely depend on the price differential on the SSD being M.2 or sata, last time I looked M.2 was a fair bit more. That I'd personally chuck at a bigger conventional HDD myself. Actually that's exactly what I have done. Our entire digital existence is well under 1.5TB.

14. The following user liked this post made by Editor:

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission