TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unconscious selective attention

Not Much To Do
    Liked 77 in 54 posts

Default Unconscious selective attention

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    What this forum needs is another thread on conspicuity. So here it is: Scientific American on unconscious selective attention.

2. The following 4 users liked this useful post by Zebedee:

Liked 315 in 160 posts

Default Re: Unconscious selective attention

Says it's temporarily unavailable. All you lot have crashed the site.....

Liked 3,857 in 2,554 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    says it's temporarily unavailable. All you lot have crashed the site.....
    smidsy

5. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 1,982 in 1,028 posts

I have scrutinised the error page closely to be sure that I wasn't selectively failing to see a link to the article beneath the error message...

Liked 2,815 in 1,844 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Says it's temporarily unavailable. All you lot have crashed the site.....
    You can't see it ? Did you see the gorilla instead ?

8. The following 2 users liked this useful post by slowsider:

Liked 315 in 160 posts

Well it works now. Sorry I can't think of anything amusing to say. Does look like an interesting study though....

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

I think much of that study is describing what I refer to as previsualising. If I want to find a screwdriver in my shed, I visualise it first. I want the 8 inch long philips with the red handle. I can see it in my mind and have therefore built a 3dimensional model of it at the front of my conscious brain. When my eyes scan the disaster I call a workbench, it is looking for a correlation. If my visual cortex subconsciously detects an object that has a high correlation with the previsualised mental image (exactly like laying a transparent film over an image but in 3d) that result gets passed immediately to the cerebral cortex for it to decide if that correlation is accurate.

The opposite is (obviously) true. If my previsualisation is wrong and the screwdriver I was really looking for has a yellow handle, I won't see it even if I am looking right at it. Anyone who has seen my workshop will appreciate how often I have to practice this technique deliberately.

Interesting article though. We should all be aware of the consequence of motorcycles not posing a "threat" to your average car driver and therefore our presence does not always register in the conscious brain of the driver. If they're looking for a car, a bus or a truck, they won't always find that screwdriver...

11. The following user liked this post made by Screwdriver:

Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I think much of that study is describing what I refer to as previsualising. If I want to find a screwdriver in my shed, I visualise it first.

The opposite is (obviously) true. If my previsualisation is wrong and the screwdriver I was really looking for has a yellow handle, I won't see it even if I am looking right at it. Anyone who has seen my workshop will appreciate how often I have to practice this technique deliberately.

Interesting article though. We should all be aware of the consequence of motorcycles not posing a "threat" to your average car driver and therefore our presence does not always register in the conscious brain of the driver. If they're looking for a car, a bus or a truck, they won't always find that screwdriver...
    Yup, your 'previsualisation' has been shown to work. I did something similar yesterday; looking for some scissors, I 'knew' they had gold-coloured handles, so looked straight past the grey pair.

Re driving, this link may work:
    https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAArgq...kOkXjTwhjTiKcE

Really Bored
    Liked 410 in 272 posts

'Selective selectivity'. So, in addition to attending to things we're looking for, at the expense of stuff we're not, we (unconsciously) attend to things that we're predisposed to prefer because of hidden biases and prejudices, and ignore stuff that doesn't fit that bill.
    Does this mean that if we encounter a driver waiting at a junction who not only doesn't expect a motorcycle but is either indifferent to them or doesn't like them - and doesn't perceive them as a threat, the other factor - we're stuffed? Definite SMIDSY?

Should Get Out More Screwdriver's Avatar
    Liked 5,944 in 2,784 posts

Nothing is certain and you should always be wary but yes, not too far off. Not sure about the indifference/doesn't like, if you exchange that for not "thinking bike" then I'd be happier.

They are expecting big car/truck/bus shaped objects because those are the things that hurt. Bicycles and motorcycles don't (unless you get a good run up) and are perhaps inadvertently subconsciously ignored. That's why the "Think Bike!" Campaign was actually quite brilliant.

I bet if we had another run of those adverts, we could produce a statistically significant reduction in smidsy.

Liked 2,815 in 1,844 posts

Nothing is certain and you should always be wary but yes, not too far off. Not sure about the indifference/doesn't like, if you exchange that for not "thinking bike" then I'd be happier.

They are expecting big car/truck/bus shaped objects because those are the things that hurt. Bicycles and motorcycles don't (unless you get a good run up) and are perhaps inadvertently subconsciously ignored. That's why the "Think Bike!" Campaign was actually quite brilliant.

I bet if we had another run of those adverts, we could produce a statistically significant reduction in smidsy.
    Cognitive workload might confound that.

That's why the "Think Bike!" Campaign was actually quite brilliant.

Might be mentioned here:
    https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com/

Liked 1,014 in 567 posts

I have this. Well my hearing has it anyway it's called marriage, selective hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by maccecht View Post
    I have this. Well my hearing has it anyway it's called marriage, selective hearing.
    I can remember the first time I ever tried earplugs. Sat at home, in the kitchen . . . Rolled the foam earplugs, into my ears . . . then blissful silence Nag Nag Nag

19. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 1,982 in 1,028 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scootabout View Post
    Does this mean that if we encounter a driver waiting at a junction who not only doesn't expect a motorcycle but is either indifferent to them or doesn't like them - and doesn't perceive them as a threat, the other factor - we're stuffed? Definite SMIDSY?
    What it means is that when a driver says SMIDSY it might actually be true - from their conscious viewpoint - and it doesn't mean they didn't consciously look, or looked but pulled out regardless out of spite or indifference.

It also has the potential to mean that people aren't consciously responsible for their actions if they act on what their unconscious brain has filtered out vital data before presenting it to their conscious mind. What that means for the future of liability and driver training is beyond my imagination right now. Before we get that far we need to convince the general public - both the road users at risk of acting on incomplete data and the road users at risk of being affected by it - that this phenomena is real. At quick look at any youtube dashcam compilation will tell you this is going to be a very long journey

21. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Mad Ax:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission