TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: Best Allen keys?

  1. #16
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,535
    Like
    998
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Those look lovely. And will make you a better mechanic. You'll still need a set of regular allen keys as sometimes access will preclude using the t-bars.

    If it was an option I'd just get the 4, 5 and 6mm ones. Maybe the 8mm. Certinaly not the smaller ones.

  2. #17
    A Bit Bored Big Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fife Scotland
    Posts
    217
    Like
    8
    Liked 71 in 53 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    These, very strong and all you will need.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNAP-ON-3...QAAOSw9J9cmfO9

  3. #18
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,212
    Like
    2,950
    Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    Those look lovely. And will make you a better mechanic. You'll still need a set of regular allen keys as sometimes access will preclude using the t-bars.
    Of course, I've got several sets. But I'd like a nice set too

  4. #19
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,212
    Like
    2,950
    Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    These, very strong and all you will need.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNAP-ON-3...QAAOSw9J9cmfO9
    A lot of my use requires them to be longer for Access

  5. #20
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,535
    Like
    998
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    A lot of my use requires them to be longer for Access
    You could just use a 3/8" extension and t-bar end pieces.

    I still think dedicated t-bars are better than socket based ones partly because they're slimmer at the end so give better access.

  6. #21
    A Bit Bored Big Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fife Scotland
    Posts
    217
    Like
    8
    Liked 71 in 53 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    A lot of my use requires them to be longer for Access
    I use these daily on cars and bikes and very rarely need anything longer,
    The main reach is down to what length of extension bar you use.
    These are very strong and will take a lot more force than normal allen keys.
    These fit snuggly in the bottom of the socket of the fastener with very little hex protruding, therefore take a great deal of force.
    Longer socket type or standard allen keys will start to twist and break long before these will.
    You pay your money and take your chances, but these are all you will need.

  7. #22
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,212
    Like
    2,950
    Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by MsignorMartinez View Post
    You could just use a 3/8" extension and t-bar end pieces.

    I still think dedicated t-bars are better than socket based ones partly because they're slimmer at the end so give better access.
    No, because the part they need to first through is narrow too. I do lots on MTB as well

  8. #23
    Really Bored
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,535
    Like
    998
    Liked 910 in 580 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    No, because the part they need to first through is narrow too. I do lots on MTB as well
    Ah, yes, gotacha. That was kind of what I was saying with the slimmer at the end thing too.


    I'd impulse buy those Facoms, they look mint! And proper t-bars are way better than you'd expect. I'm half tempted to get a set myself. Although I do so little spannering these days it'd be kind of crazy.

  9. #24
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,212
    Like
    2,950
    Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I use these daily on cars and bikes and very rarely need anything longer,
    The main reach is down to what length of extension bar you use.
    These are very strong and will take a lot more force than normal allen keys.
    These fit snuggly in the bottom of the socket of the fastener with very little hex protruding, therefore take a great deal of force.
    Longer socket type or standard allen keys will start to twist and break long before these will.
    You pay your money and take your chances, but these are all you will need.
    All you need, not all I need. We all have slightly different jobs and needs, the fat bits simply wouldn't work for me to get in the right angles on MTB brakes, seat post upper clamps, plus many other little things. I'm sure they're ace, but not for me.

  10. #25
    Should Get Out More mrlongbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    22,877
    Like
    1,519
    Liked 4,917 in 3,081 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Can't stand t bar one's, but that personal preference for ya.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They're what I use now, I've not found them to be wanting.

  11. #26
    Annoying The Idiots Yorick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanzarote
    Posts
    40,371
    Like
    6,578
    Liked 6,323 in 3,947 posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    10 times the price. Not 10 times better.

    Ignore the price and listen to advice.

  12. #27
    Should Get Out More RiceBurner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in your blind spot...
    Posts
    15,020
    Like
    4,245
    Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    IIRC my most used ones are a cheap Laser set.

  13. #28
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    26,824
    Like
    2,633
    Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Blimey, they look posh.
    I'd buy them for sure if I had a thing for tools, they look ace and I'm sure they'd be great.

    I tend to see tools only as tools though, I have some things I'm very proud of, like my lathe, but otherwise they're just stuff to get the job done and they seem a bit overkill for an allen key set IMO.

    I've got a couple of sets of t-bars but they weren't that much, the ones I bought over here with me are RFX Hardware and I bought them around 2010/11, they were about 25 for a set of three, they've been faultless. I've got a more expensive set at home which are longer and better quality, I think they're Bahco but I can't remember, but even then I doubt I would have paid more than 20 each for them.

    If you want them for the bling factor then buy the set you like the most, otherwise I think they're a bit pricey for home stuff.

  14. #29
    Should Get Out More icarus1859's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Not at home
    Posts
    26,824
    Like
    2,633
    Liked 6,143 in 3,177 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    FWIW I get most use out of this multi set I bought for about 60 off a market.
    It's Chinese I think, unbranded but has stood up to a couple of bike builds and has almost everything I need - it's paid for itself many times over when I compare it to the expensive tools I have.

    The only reason I'm posting this is to make the point that after years of chasing expensive tools I've found that they're mostly redundant and the two things I use most of this Chinese set and my Halfords set that is basically the same as this but a bit nicer.

    Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 07.54.54.jpg

  15. #30
    Should Get Out More Weeksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Newbury/Didcot
    Posts
    56,212
    Like
    2,950
    Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

    Default Re: Best Allen keys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    10 times the price. Not 10 times better.

    Ignore the price and listen to advice.
    I have a set just like yours, they're excellent but a bit old now at over 10 years old and not quite as precise as they once were.

  16. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission