TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suzuki GS500E 94 plate - Project need help

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    2/1

Default Re: Suzuki GS500E 94 plate - Project need help

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Could it be from an aftermarket alarm? Do they have flashing red lights like car alarms do/did?
    Not sure as it is not connected to anything, so unless someone took it off before selling it on then not sure, but don't know why you would have taken it off before selling it on as surely that would have added some value to it (it's been registered in my name so would have thought DVLA would tell me if it is a stolen bike or not)

Liked 2,813 in 2,014 posts

Warning light left over from heated grips?

Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

As above it'll be for some sort of aftermarket accessory. If it was an alarm you may well find the loom has been cut into at various strategic points with the intention of giving a little box of electronics the right to say if the bike could start or not. When the box fails (they usually do) someone painstakingly undoes the work done to fit it. Except there's always some sort of damage to the wires which can fail again after years of vibrations or weather exposure. A loom which has previously had a non factory alarm on it will always be the bikes Achilles heel.

Liked 1,116 in 727 posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1888 View Post
    Warning light left over from heated grips?
    Looking at the plus, this does seem more likely. Two two pin plugs seems a giveaway.

Liked 915 in 511 posts

Seen many of those LED,s and they are generally for alarms mostly Datatool so another vote. I'd you look near the battery end of the loom and starter solenoid you may find where an alarm was cut into the loom.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 3 in 3 posts

May have been said before but....... document everything with photo’s and even video’s so you can speak to remind yourself specific points. Bag small items up and label them. A parts washer would be very useful!! Take your time and enjoy!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

dont forget to have the carbs cleaned...i have used matt at harpers ultrasonics,look him up,nice bloke,well knowledgeable and i think quite cheap but he does a fantastic job

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    2/1

Thanks all for the advice with regards to the electrics, gonna leave them there sadly as it's too much hassle getting replacement dials, speaking of, anyone know someone who may be able to breathe new life into them? Seen it on 'The Motorbike Show' where they sent the dials off to get them renewed as such, any ideas people??

Quote Originally Posted by BikerJo View Post
    May have been said before but....... document everything with photo’s and even video’s so you can speak to remind yourself specific points. Bag small items up and label them. A parts washer would be very useful!! Take your time and enjoy!
    Yeah doing that, mainly taken videos more recently with taking the electrics out, but making sure everything is all set up and ready for when the time comes to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonarob95 View Post
    dont forget to have the carbs cleaned...i have used matt at harpers ultrasonics,look him up,nice bloke,well knowledgeable and i think quite cheap but he does a fantastic job
    Will look into them, thanks daytona, was thinking about that myself but didn't want to mess around with the carbs and ruin the setup, may just have a word with the garage I'm planning on taking it to for the MOT, see if they are alright with doing it as already planning on getting them set up (bit far the guys you mentioned but worst case scenario will take them up there).

Well, the exhaust is finally off, now the only thing left is to take off the front forks and steering stem before dropping the engine out and sending everything off for powder coating then beginning the rebuild.

Edit: Here's a picture before I took the exhaust off today (picture was taken a few days ago)

IMG_20190914_172832605_BURST000_COVER_TOP2.jpg
    Last edited by La Rouge; 29-09-19 at 21:09. Reason: picture addition

Liked 2,295 in 1,177 posts

I guess you're starting to understand what a major job it is to do a full renovation of a bike! Good thread though and you've had some good advice. I recently had to work on a loom from an SV650 that had had an alarm spliced into it. I took it to a Datatool installer who knew where the splices had to be and was able to remove it without damaging the harness. The other half of the harness had some broken connectors so I sourced a good used one off eBay.

As the guys say, on an old Suzuki corrosion will be your enemy. Brakes in particular are susceptible, on sliding pins and inside caliper bodies. If the pistons can't be pushed in and out by hand the seal grooves are corroded and will need to be cleaned out with new seals (and maybe pistons) fitted. Check out the suspension bearings, and if they are OK pack with grease before reassembly. The rear shock you describe has a "remote reservoir" (that's the canister thing) and while that type are generally better than the simple one fitted as stock to the GS, frankly the bike has economy suspension and steering and there's little point upgrading it. It is what it is. Also for a remote reservoir type you may well find the reservoir fouls on some nearby bodywork or bracketry.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions.

10. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Tomcat:

A Bit Bored
    Liked
    2/1

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    I guess you're starting to understand what a major job it is to do a full renovation of a bike! Good thread though and you've had some good advice. I recently had to work on a loom from an SV650 that had had an alarm spliced into it. I took it to a Datatool installer who knew where the splices had to be and was able to remove it without damaging the harness. The other half of the harness had some broken connectors so I sourced a good used one off eBay.

As the guys say, on an old Suzuki corrosion will be your enemy. Brakes in particular are susceptible, on sliding pins and inside caliper bodies. If the pistons can't be pushed in and out by hand the seal grooves are corroded and will need to be cleaned out with new seals (and maybe pistons) fitted. Check out the suspension bearings, and if they are OK pack with grease before reassembly. The rear shock you describe has a "remote reservoir" (that's the canister thing) and while that type are generally better than the simple one fitted as stock to the GS, frankly the bike has economy suspension and steering and there's little point upgrading it. It is what it is. Also for a remote reservoir type you may well find the reservoir fouls on some nearby bodywork or bracketry.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions.
    Aren't I just, made a couple of mistakes and learnt from them, hopefully it's stuff that I don't plan on doing again (as I don't plan on going to this kind of detail in the future) unless something goes exceptionally wrong with the bike. Thanks for the info with regards to the datatool installer person, will look any up in and around my area and see if they can either fit an alarm or remove the wiring that is currently there.

Sadly the calipers have been removed and the pistons are still inside them, so going to have to look at replacing them potentially after I have rebuilt the most of it just to run some new brake oil through and force them out by function of the system (one of the learning points).

Bit of an update for you guys as well, the forks and front wheel have been removed, with EXTREMELY great difficulty as I am an idiot (nothing to balance on when I had the rear wheel off before hand :/ ) luckily for me however, the drive outside mine and the neighbours house is slanted downwards, making it possible for me to take the forks out

IMG_20191005_164552340.jpg

That was a couple of days ago, moving onto ore recent times, here are some pictures of it in my new working area :P

IMG_20191005_165244618.jpg IMG_20191008_153307949.jpg

And no, the other half didn't complain about me bringing it into the living room as you can see form the second photo I've got the side part of the frame removed, and as of tonight I have most of the engine bolts out, another problem which has now been found is the top front engine mounting bolt which appears to have seized :/ not the greatest thing in the world as it's the last piece holding the engine in. Anybody that has advice on trying to get this sucker out would be helping out massively as I don't really fancy having to grind off part of the bolt.

IMG_20191008_231207668.jpg

It's the same on both sides, no actual head but threaded with nuts on them (both nuts removed and tried hammering with a plastic mallet but no joy).

Really Bored
    Liked 776 in 567 posts

Quote Originally Posted by La Rouge View Post
    Aren't I just, made a couple of mistakes and learnt from them, hopefully it's stuff that I don't plan on doing again (as I don't plan on going to this kind of detail in the future) unless something goes exceptionally wrong with the bike. Thanks for the info with regards to the datatool installer person, will look any up in and around my area and see if they can either fit an alarm or remove the wiring that is currently there.

Sadly the calipers have been removed and the pistons are still inside them, so going to have to look at replacing them potentially after I have rebuilt the most of it just to run some new brake oil through and force them out by function of the system (one of the learning points).

Bit of an update for you guys as well, the forks and front wheel have been removed, with EXTREMELY great difficulty as I am an idiot (nothing to balance on when I had the rear wheel off before hand :/ ) luckily for me however, the drive outside mine and the neighbours house is slanted downwards, making it possible for me to take the forks out

IMG_20191005_164552340.jpg

That was a couple of days ago, moving onto ore recent times, here are some pictures of it in my new working area :P

IMG_20191005_165244618.jpg IMG_20191008_153307949.jpg

And no, the other half didn't complain about me bringing it into the living room as you can see form the second photo I've got the side part of the frame removed, and as of tonight I have most of the engine bolts out, another problem which has now been found is the top front engine mounting bolt which appears to have seized :/ not the greatest thing in the world as it's the last piece holding the engine in. Anybody that has advice on trying to get this sucker out would be helping out massively as I don't really fancy having to grind off part of the bolt.

IMG_20191008_231207668.jpg

It's the same on both sides, no actual head but threaded with nuts on them (both nuts removed and tried hammering with a plastic mallet but no joy).
    It looks as if the stud should come out of the n/s frame lug....

Liked 915 in 511 posts

If you have an SDS drill cut down a drill bit to the shank stick the drill on hammer only and have at it. Soak it in wd40 or releasing agent and heat if you can. Will stink the house out though. May have to replace the bolt if you damage the threads or just cut the last few threads off if still ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission