TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Suzuki GS500E 94 plate - Project need help

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

Lightbulb Suzuki GS500E 94 plate - Project need help

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi everyone,

So my Grandfather gave me his 1994 Suzuki GS500E, says he won't ride it (has another bike and not wanting much more) so passed it on so someone can get some use out of it. He's changed the battery and when he did so said started up fine, during pick up it didn't start but that's just down to lack of fuel. For the last number of years he has said I can have it and just to let him know when to pick it up, meaning it's been sat there for god knows how long not running and just collecting rust and dust.

Enter the plan - refurb the entire bike and bring new life to it, the only issue, I haven't got much of a clue what I am doing. The haynes manual also got given to me on pick up and I am currently reading a little bit as I start doing stuff to it.

I have a plan outlined but there are bits that are getting added to it as I look more and more into it (some tasks can probably be done later on but others I want to do as I build it up), and that's where you guys come in if you don't mind helping I am going to strip the entire thing down and build it back from the ground up, not planning on replacing the engine or the carburetors unless somethings drastically goes wrong with them, as for everything else if I can find a better/improved part or system then I would like to get it replaced.

So far the plan as it stands is as follows:

• Strip the bike down to nothing but the frame

• Send the frame and swing arm away for powder coating

• Drain ALL oils and fluids out of all parts (engine, brake system, front forks), inspect parts and replace lubricants as well as any necessary parts

• Get a new chain and sprockets ready to fit

• New brakes, both pads and discs

• Potentially new tyres

• New rear shock (standard one on it has rusted to hell and back, plus everything I have read or watched has suggested new rear suspension for better ride)

So off the top of my head that's the job list so far, what I am after from this community is possible areas to improve the bike and advice for what parts to get or even where I can save money on this project by doing certain jobs myself.

The job is already started and pictures will follow on new posts, but before I start buying new parts or rebuilding I would like advice on the improvements I am planning on making.

This is also not just a pet project for me to start and (when I get fed up) pass on to someone else to finish, I haven't completed my full licence yet and am running around on a CB125F at the moment, so when this is complete it will be my VERY FIRST FULL LICENCE BIKE!!

The plan is to take as long as is needed, however I am saving money whilst doing the project to go for my full licence, so the hope is it will be finished as soon as I pass my tests and can just go straight ahead and begin riding it properly.

Any and all help towards the ultimate goal would be greatly appreciated, as a side note I am new to this community and have been biking for almost 2 years (need to do CBT again ) so I don't have a great deal of experience but am willing to get my hands dirty where needed.

Sorry for the long initial post and many thanks for all those who come along to help or watch the build up.

Liked 3,241 in 2,135 posts

Default Re: Suzuki GS500E 94 plate - Project need help

Good luck.

I have no useful advice to give, apart from photograph everything as you go, videos etc. and clearly label all parts for storage, as when you come to put it back together it will all seem a distant memory

Then post loads of updates here!

3. The following user liked this post made by Horse:

Liked 150 in 80 posts

It's not a complicated bike, so there's nothing really scary if it's a known 'good' runner.
    Suzukis of this era are quite notorious for snapping off bolts, so be prepared for this (snapped exhaust studs are the most fun!) and budget for replacing fasteners with stainless.
    Other than that, it's the usual foibles that come with working on a 25 year old bike. Having a Haynes manual is good, but follow Horse's advice about photographing EVERYTHING. The wiring loom routing might look very obvious when you take the bike apart, but that's not much help when you're trying to fit it back to a bare frame!
    Good luck

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,330 in 2,014 posts

GS500s aren't bad bikes, they are prone to corrosion though.
    Check the inside and bottom of the petrol tank for rust, the carbs will probably be gummed up and need cleaning, they'll also probably need new diaphragms - get pattern ones, original Suzuki ones are expensive.
    If the fork stanchions have had it, check out Tarozzi replacements

6. The following user liked this post made by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 2,533 in 1,224 posts
    Blog Entries

Did exactly as you did .took a while but was worth it.dont bother powder coating it there's other stuff to spend money on.the rear suspension bearings will be shot so do them too.they cost a fair bit but will make the suspension a bit better.
    check the petrol tank closely for rust as pin holes can suddenly appear (jb weld worked a treat.)
    check the swing arm bearings too as they can rust .
    take the carbs off now and soak them in whatevery you have like wd40 gt85 etc etc as bits can snap when taking them apart for cleaning .

A Bit Bored

So then, here's an update/questions I have before going further/cry for help.

Cheers all who have left advice on what to do and good luck wishes, so for the fact that you've spoken I'm gonna address you all in order to start off with.

Horse - Cheers, that's the plan to be honest after removing all the fuel pipes then realizing afterwards "crap which goes where again?" that problem has been resolved by finding a picture that has all hoses colour coded, makes it easier as well since planning on replacing the hoses with new when it comes to rebuilding.

Doc - Thanks man, was planning on changing the fasteners as well (potentially some fasteners from work may be missing when it comes to rebuild hehe ) but the fact that you've suggested the stainless steel will be noted down and kept in mind. Same as the pipe issue I mentioned to Horse, going to put masking tape on each line of electrics with a note on where it goes and what it connects to.

Julian - Cheers man, fuel tank is already off and noticed a little bit of rust but not looked too deep into it yet as I am still just stripping it all down. When it comes to rebuilding it I will look into it, as hopefully that will be the last dead thing I need to worry about (work terms sorry guys - dead work meaning any work before I start work on getting it running/alive). Forks look good so far but will look deeper when rebuilding and during strip down of them. Wasn't planing on taking apart the carbs but will see about it on rebuild if you recommend it (again point back to the original post, not a massive deal of knowledge on what I am doing so if it's highly recommended then it will be done).

MrTack - Thanks on the advice about powder coating, however sadly already booked it in and there's a shed load of rust on it so as much as it could save me money in the short term, whilst it's stripped I want to get it done for rust removal and a better looking frame. Bearings are definitely in mind for getting changed along with the entire rear suspension as again, that's rusted to hell and back (plus pretty sure it's standard and seen some people changing it out for potentially a GSX-R 650 one, apparently fits, will need to do some digging when rebuild time comes). Wasn't planning on taking the carbs apart in any great detail but as mentioned above to Julian then will be done if recommended, but will get them soaked later on down the line during rebuild.

Now then onto the update

Right, first thing's first here are some pictures for what it was, then onto what it currently is, so first picture is for how it was when I began

IMG_20190406_144340377 (800x600).jpg

So sadly with work getting in the way and the need to do overtime (what with money needed for new parts, save up for my full licence as well as other general life stuff) the only things I have been able to do really is take off the fuel system and carbs, which are all currently sat on a table in the back garden.

IMG_20190407_164507135 (800x600).jpg

And now the bike looks as such

IMG_20190407_163615682 (800x600).jpg

So just to recap, carbs are off as well as the fuel system, so now..... I have no idea where to go next.

Should I take off the front section (Wheel, forks and dials) or do I focus on the electrics and remove the entire wiring (making sure to label and photograph it all to put it back together properly) What do you guys think??

The main aim will be taking the engine out and working from the ground up, so any advice on what to take off next people??

9. The following user liked this post made by La Rouge:

Blog Entries

Personally I'd soak the carbs and clean the outside.then start very carefully to take one apart on a clean piece of white paper I replaced all the shite screws with the same length bolts which are much easier to take off again.start at the bottom take the float bowl off and check what's inside it ,drain it first.clean that with loads of carb spray (outside the stuff is a bit nasty if you get it in you're eyes) .if not confident get a Haynes manual they do them for that bike I think.
    start slowly and methodically laying everything out in the order you took it off and take pictures as you go for reference .
    hth

Blog Entries

I've just checked the Haynes website they do one for 16quid on there website

Liked 150 in 80 posts

Start stripping off all the ancilliary bits first - exhaust, calipers, clocks, loom, mudguards, undertray/battery box, etc. Clean/inspect stuff as you go. Keep it as a rolling chassis for as long as possible, and certainly until you've got the motor out. Have you got a decent amount of storage space?

Liked 535 in 293 posts

You can download a service manual from here

Robinsons Foundry is the place to get hard to obtain Suzuki bits

I stripped and rebuilt a Suzuki GS750 a few years ago and documented it here

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by MrTack View Post
    Personally I'd soak the carbs and clean the outside.then start very carefully to take one apart on a clean piece of white paper I replaced all the shite screws with the same length bolts which are much easier to take off again.start at the bottom take the float bowl off and check what's inside it ,drain it first.clean that with loads of carb spray (outside the stuff is a bit nasty if you get it in you're eyes) .if not confident get a Haynes manual they do them for that bike I think.
    start slowly and methodically laying everything out in the order you took it off and take pictures as you go for reference .
    Thanks for the advice, when you say soak the carbs are you meaning something along the lines of; bucket filled with WD40 and let them sit in their for a bit, or give them a coat of WD 40 and wipe off after 10 - 20 minutes?? Already got the Haynes manual thanks, been following it but wasn't entirely sure where to go after taking the carbs off.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    You can download a service manual from here

Robinsons Foundry is the place to get hard to obtain Suzuki bits

I stripped and rebuilt a Suzuki GS750 a few years ago and documented it here
    Cheers, as mentioned already have the service manual and wasn't sure where to go after stripping the carbs, will be looking at your rebuild for guidance on the next steps as well as maybe some tips I can apply to this little project, as for the parts site, cheers will be checking it out when it comes time for the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Start stripping off all the ancilliary bits first - exhaust, calipers, clocks, loom, mudguards, undertray/battery box, etc. Clean/inspect stuff as you go. Keep it as a rolling chassis for as long as possible, and certainly until you've got the motor out. Have you got a decent amount of storage space?
    Thanks, will be continuing on with the removal of the ancillary bits as soon as I am able to carry on with the build (personal/medical issues preventing work at the moment) but will keep this thread updated as soon as I get back to it.

Update:

So then following on from Doc's advice, went to strip apart the exhaust, to which the first problem has been encountered; one of the bolts has been corroded/rounded so the 6mm allen key just spins, I know there are some tools out there that can rectify this issue, however I cannot remember what they are called (something like a drill bit/milling bit that will grip the bolt instead of drilling it) short of having the part it will be a case of drilling the head off and removing the bolt that way.

Well since the exhaust isn't coming off anytime soon, the front calliper has been removed to which I have found new pads are needed (was happening anyway but at least now this justifies it) as well as new discs and maybe new calliper pistons (need to do a detailed look to see) so for now that's the stage we are at.

Sadly as mentioned, the strip down/rebuild is being put on hold until I am alright to actually carry on without being in pain (medical issues) but hopefully I will be getting back to this before June at the earliest.

Cheers for all the support guys, any more tips or part recommendations would be greatly appreciated as come rebuild time I'm hoping to have the parts with me so there's no major waiting around for stuff to be delivered.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission