TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: MT09 Brakes question

Really Bored
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries

Question MT09 Brakes question

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hello people,

I have 2014 MT09 no ABS. Under light heavy braking with the front brake the back wheel is swerving and sliding. When I say "light heavy braking " I mean light emergency braking.

I have used in the past on my Fazer FZS600 to brake much more harder before I experience this. Also brake control feeling was better and the back wheel lock was way much more controllable. Here with MT09 is you brake hard and slide and the only way to get back to normal is completely to get off the brakes. Granted the Fazer is heavier bike but with it I was able to release a tiny bit the brake and stop the slide whilst still stopping hard.

That is very annoying because with the MT09 I can't safely brake very hard.

Does that sound normal to you under heavy braking specifically for MT09 as very light bike or I need to look at some issue?

Liked 138 in 86 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MT09 Brakes question

You know its impossible to diagnose your problem.
    Light emergency braking
    WTF are you on about.
    Emergency braking is in response to an unforeseen incident that requires an immediate reduction of speed. There is no level of severity.
    However, the MT09 is woefully lacking in compression damping from new, so sounds like your forks need a service. Put a cable tie around the fork leg and measure your travel under heavy braking. That should tell you if the forks are bottoming out and unloading the rear tyre.

Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

As said - emergency braking is not 'light'. So that's confusing the issue.

It does sound like you're getting far too much weight transfer and the rear is losing adhesion and therefore sliding.
    This will happen with any bike if you brake hard enough: I can do it on the Rockster or even the K* if I want to: both heavy bikes with very controllable brake dive.

I'm assuming you're also stamping hard on the back brake when this happens? If so: don't. PRESS the brake pedal, don't STAMP on it. A sudden increase in braking will help to unlock the tyre's grip, a graduated increase will allow the tyre to retain it's grip.

Also - what tyres do you have, what pressures, and what condition are they in?

I'd also say that if you're doing this regularly, you need to start moderating your riding style so that you're not in 'emergency' situations all the time, and learn to brake progressively, no snatching/stamping.

* The K has ABS, but the rear will still slide out if I brake hard enough to get the weight mostly onto the front wheel without engaging the ABS - ie under perfect conditions.

Liked 312 in 158 posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
    I'd also say that if you're doing this regularly, you need to start moderating your riding style so that you're not in 'emergency' situations all the time, and learn to brake progressively, no snatching/stamping.
    Remember who posted this question. Not noted for his moderate riding style, or for understanding that the rider has a responsibility to look after themselves.......

Liked 53 in 40 posts

Why not just look where you are going and use the brakes more progressively? You sound like a ham fisted fool

6. The following user liked this post made by Jazoli:

Liked 1,570 in 913 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
    Remember who posted this question. Not noted for his moderate riding style, or for understanding that the rider has a responsibility to look after themselves.......

I've never seen him ride, so I can only comment on what I'm reading here.

Really Bored
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    You know its impossible to diagnose your problem.
    Light emergency braking
    WTF are you on about.
    Emergency braking is in response to an unforeseen incident that requires an immediate reduction of speed. There is no level of severity.
    However, the MT09 is woefully lacking in compression damping from new, so sounds like your forks need a service. Put a cable tie around the fork leg and measure your travel under heavy braking. That should tell you if the forks are bottoming out and unloading the rear tyre.
    There is level of how hard you want to brake. What I mean is deer has pop up on the road not exactly on front of me. There was plenty of distance. I have done emergency braking the rear has locked. I have unlocked it and avoided the deer by swerving around it. I should have been able to stop instead. It was too far away.

I do figured it out on a car park. No slipper clutch. MT09 is too light bike too short wheelbase with too much engine braking.
    Engine was locking the rear. The cure is simple - me playing slipper clutch and hitting the clutch lever earlier to disengage the engine sooner.
    Also not using rear brake at all. I have used on the heavier Fazer to use tiny rear brake to stabilise the bike under heavy braking and because the feeling was better on the Fazer I have got plenty of feedback and time to release a little and prevent locking or even to lock a little the rear without swerve.

On MT09 its locked or not locked there is no middle ground.

Really Bored
    Liked 489 in 372 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazoli View Post
    Why not just look where you are going and use the brakes more progressively? You sound like a ham fisted fool
    Thank you for the kind reply, you sound like miserable dick

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,721 in 2,276 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    There is level of how hard you want to brake. What I mean is deer has pop up on the road not exactly on front of me. There was plenty of distance. I have done emergency braking the rear has locked. I have unlocked it and avoided the deer by swerving around it. I should have been able to stop instead. It was too far away.

I do figured it out on a car park. No slipper clutch. MT09 is too light bike too short wheelbase with too much engine braking.
    Engine was locking the rear. The cure is simple - me playing slipper clutch and hitting the clutch lever earlier to disengage the engine sooner.
    Also not using rear brake at all. I have used on the heavier Fazer to use tiny rear brake to stabilise the bike under heavy braking and because the feeling was better on the Fazer I have got plenty of feedback and time to release a little and prevent locking or even to lock a little the rear without swerve.

On MT09 its locked or not locked there is no middle ground.
    So basically, you need to learn how to ride your bike.

11. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Julian_Boolean:

Liked 10,523 in 6,029 posts

Or buy one with abs and a slipper clutch

Liked 1,603 in 709 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Or buy one with abs and a slipper clutch
    Like the current model MT-09

I know they only got the slipper clutch on the MT09s fairly recently, thought they all had ABS though?

Anyway, seriously though Val, a slipper clutch won't help you in this situation, it's not what they are there for, but your heavy right foot that's the problem by the sound of it - just keep it off that back brake pedal

14. The following user liked this post made by TrickyDicky:

Liked 7,679 in 4,361 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post

I know they only got the slipper clutch on the MT09s fairly recently, thought they all had ABS though?

Anyway, seriously though Val, a slipper clutch won't help you in this situation, it's not what they are there for, but your heavy right foot that's the problem by the sound of it - just keep it off that back brake pedal
    September 2013 it became mandatory for motorcycles 125cc and over to have ABS, I guess the very early MT-09's just got away without it.

Liked 138 in 86 posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds to me like you panic braked and maybe hit the rear as well and locked it up.
    Find a nice dry warm road and try stopping from 30, then 40, then 50 and see what happens.
    I have an xsr9 and usually I have the rear wheel waving in the air from rapid 50-60 mph stops. No abs kicking in either.

Liked 5,732 in 3,048 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post

This, and he is being kind.

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    Sounds to me like you panic braked and maybe hit the rear as well and locked it up.
    Find a nice dry warm road and try stopping from 30, then 40, then 50 and see what happens.
    I have an xsr9 and usually I have the rear wheel waving in the air from rapid 50-60 mph stops. No abs kicking in either.
    "Light emergency panic" is all that's required to get the back brake to lock it when you're braking hard with the front. This is something you should have learned when learning to ride. As for the MT-09 having no in between, I think you'll find that the majority of owners have no problem. You just need to get some feeling for what's going on. Either that or you're on some wind up..?

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission