TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realisation - Iíve already bought my last bike.

Should Get Out More Savio Du Funk's Avatar
    Liked 3,567 in 1,274 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Realisation - Iíve already bought my last bike.

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I take my kids out on the bike. No more guilt of losing a father, because if I get wiped out, theyíre fucked too

2. The following 5 users liked this useful post by Savio Du Funk:

Liked 9,978 in 5,747 posts

4. The following user liked this post made by Weeksy:

Liked 1,659 in 1,082 posts

I had a wobble not when the kids were born but when my youngest was 2.5. I started to feel guilty that my hobby/passion was a risk to them having a Dad. But it only lasted 6 months or so and also coincided with me being more realistic about what I like now and how I am now, which is happier on a slower bike and being happy with riding at my pace rather than trying to be fast. I'd still say I get a move on at times, but generally I leave something in reserve 99% of the time.

I think choice of bike is a big part of that. On my last sportsbike which was 'only' an R6 there were times when kitting up for a ride I'd have a touch of nerves, mainly as riding it to a level that felt like I was pushing was a serious thing. Changing to the 690 that has pretty much gone due to the bike feeling fun at 50mph, generally having a performance envelope that stops at 90 rather than starts and by being top fun on tight nadgery B roads that would have been hell on the R6 but are a riot at 50-80 on the 690.

Finally I also realised that I would be a proper miserable bastard if I didn't have a bike.

6. The following user liked this post made by Supermofo:

Liked 9,402 in 4,894 posts

Given up biking for good a few times now! I gave it up many years ago when my riding mates faded away and I lost touch with them all. I returned to it when i got fed up with public transport into London and then driving into London. Father-in-law lent me a scooter, not to convert me to scooters, but to see what the commute was like on 2 wheels. The scooter amused me and gave a ridiculous;y childish amusement to riding and I'd seen how popular they were around town when abroad, so i bought it off him.

The scoot rekindled my love of bikes and I then bought and sold all types over the years. Each time I quit bikes now, I don't actually quit, I just give up on bikes and revert to scoots, as they are near perfect for my daily commute. After a while, could be a few days or a couple of years, i'll get another bike and enjoy the return to biking all over again.

I'm not quick on a bike and nor does big BHP appeal to me, mainly cos its wasted on me, so my biking needs will always be different to the OPs. But like Nidge, i've tried different sides to biking, with my Harley being a good example. That was supposed to be my last bike for a while, but I didn't expect to get so much out of it. Ended up riding with a load of lads from a Facebook group a few times and I haven't ridden with other riders for years, but had such a laugh with the Harley guys, it really made Harley ownership even more fun. Not for one minute saying try a Harley, but why not think of something a bit left field and limited in power to help ride witha different mindset?

Right, i'm off scooter shopping, laters...

Should Get Out More
    Liked 817 in 479 posts

Quote Originally Posted by fingerpuk View Post
    Well, a slow and very soft bike or a high and soft bike would be fine. But sports bikes, around me, you wonít have fun. I can ride for an hour to get to good roads, but that hour leaves you miserable knowing you have to do it again later.

But itís not just the roads, the people on them are getting worse. Distracted by phones and speed limits that change every 15 seconds. And they drive busses and donít know how so sit in the middle of the road. Plus no bus services mean tons of old people driving about, all unable to see beyond their bonnet.
    I spent five hours out on the bike in the Chilterns on Easter Sunday and barely passed another vehicle on most of the lanes I was riding...

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,191 in 783 posts
    Blog Entries

Isn't the issue the panigale , lovely focus quick sports bike. Stunning on the track, great to look at ... but piss all use on the British roads? When i had my 998s it was a fantasy bike ... but awful to ride around Switzerland, where i lived at the time. Arse in the air, short travel hard suspension, weight on wrists and only comfortable over 80 mph ....
    i used to ride the 950 SM or GS far more ....
    Coming back to the UK and i do find the motivation to go out on the bike is less ... too crowded, rubbish roads and 50 mph speed limits. And down here in BTN limited roads that aren't full of the worst drivers in the world.
    I would rather ride a mountain bike ... i get more excited about that ... at the moment.
    Fast car .... i was on the way to Chichester to buy my dream car about 4 weeks ago. It was a "do it before you die" thing. then got stuck in traffic in both Worthing and the dire Chichester ring road for an hour plus. That put the dream of driving a sports car quickly into context. Huge insurance, big road tax bill, chance of an oik kicking or scratching in very high .... and i would still be stuck in the same traffic as the Dacia drivers. So a bit pointless.

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by the phantom pieman:

Liked 1,375 in 654 posts

Some of it is 100% the Panigale.

But I test rode a Monster 821 today and didn’t enjoy that either.

Maybe I’ll get a Supermoto.

The Panigale was the dream. And was bought in a highly emotional time. And I love it dearly, so much so I’d be happy to keep it to tinker and have it on display.

I think it may be that, along with the roads turning to cheese since last summer and the amount of cars on them increasing a noticeable amount (my commute is 20 minutes longer today than a year ago due to traffic), I can’t think of a practical comfortable bike I’m excited by.

Maybe a Superduke 1290R V1 in orange and white.

Liked 9,978 in 5,747 posts

Some of it is 100% the Panigale.

But I test rode a Monster 821 today and didn’t enjoy that either.

Maybe I’ll get a Supermoto.

The Panigale was the dream. And was bought in a highly emotional time. And I love it dearly, so much so I’d be happy to keep it to tinker and have it on display.

I think it may be that, along with the roads turning to cheese since last summer and the amount of cars on them increasing a noticeable amount (my commute is 20 minutes longer today than a year ago due to traffic), I can’t think of a practical comfortable bike I’m excited by.

Maybe a Superduke 1290R V1 in orange and white.
    What didn't you enjoy about the monster? Was it down to the monster or just you?

Liked 1,375 in 654 posts

It was good. Not anything fizzy though.

The roads and traffic were shit.

Liked 1,375 in 654 posts

That last reply was rushed, back now.

The bike was fine but no different to my 696, certainly not worth chopping in the Pani for. The 1200S ride is this weekend, unless it rains. The stuff I can’t control is the real issue, it’s not the bikes. The roads are terrible, the traffic is too much. All the limits are reduced. I need something fun at 50. I am tempted by another Duke 690, but find new KTMs ugly. Actually all KTMs I find ugly, apart from the one 1290 I like.

I think maybe bikes just don’t do it for me anymore. A friend is lending me his Harley Iron 800 thing for a day, just to test if I’ve gone gay.

Liked 1,659 in 1,082 posts

Husky 701?

I actually really like the new Husky 701 Svartpilen and I've just watched 3 very good reviews on YouTube of it.

To me Huskys are a lot better looking than their KTM brothers for the same bike

Really Bored
    Liked 379 in 250 posts

Do you actually ride the back roads, fingerpuk? There are loads of good B and unclassified roads in Kent, Sussex and Surrey that might not always have billiard table surfaces but are fun and scenic.

But you might just need to pause for a bit then come back to riding.

Liked 9,402 in 4,894 posts

That last reply was rushed, back now.

The bike was fine but no different to my 696, certainly not worth chopping in the Pani for. The 1200S ride is this weekend, unless it rains. The stuff I can’t control is the real issue, it’s not the bikes. The roads are terrible, the traffic is too much. All the limits are reduced. I need something fun at 50. I am tempted by another Duke 690, but find new KTMs ugly. Actually all KTMs I find ugly, apart from the one 1290 I like.

I think maybe bikes just don’t do it for me anymore. A friend is lending me his Harley Iron 800 thing for a day, just to test if I’ve gone gay.
    Paningale to a Harley Iron, hmm, they are so far apart it might just frustrate you to the point of amazement! Or you'll give t back 3 miles later...

Should Get Out More couchcommando's Avatar
    Liked 3,669 in 1,664 posts

The Harley might do the trick. A mate came round on his big gay cruiser a M109 Suzuki ?, gave me the keys and expected me back in 2 minutes. 45 minutes later I came back having really enjoyed the ride, once Iíd got my head round how to ride it and accepted its limitations it was fun, scraping pegs at 100mph on local bypass was a bit eye opening but after a while I just chilled out and enjoyed the ride. To ride it anywhere near a normal pace took a lot of concentration. It was so far removed from my other bikes it was almost a different type of transport. The same happened with a Harley roadster 1200 I demoíd although that had more ground clearance. Iíd have either as a second or third bike tbh

19. The following user liked this post made by couchcommando:

Liked 119 in 76 posts

It is a hard one wether to give up or not when kids and shite roads and traffic come into it, I loved it when I wasn't on the road all the time when seth was born (worked in a bike shop) would walk to work 50 mins or cycle through parks.
    Got made redundant so went back on road as a blood courier hate it still but pays the bills just.
    May I suggest a fjr1300 gen 2 (mines a gen 1 stupid niggles) better bike lots of go if you need it to cruise and 70 ish mpg, and leave the Ducati in the garage like my Zx7r and ride it when you can and if you don't ride it at all then sell the lot.
    Giving up has been running through my head to lately as been using car for work, no waterproofs needed 53 mpg and warm, but when the sun comes out I think to myself I need to get out on the bike, not as often as I did but still it's there if I need it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission