TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Server Upgrade Advise

  1. #1
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Server Upgrade Advise


    TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm after some advise on RAID and server OS's please.

    I am about to upgrade all my 2012 physical servers to 2016.

    I have quite a simple setup at each site.

    HP ML350 G8 servers with 2 x 500GB SAS drives as RAID 1 (mirrored) and 3 x 1TB SAS drives as RAID 5 (striped).

    The RAID 1 drives form my primary system drive and the RAID 5 drives contain my data.

    If i pull the 3 RAID 5 data drives and leave the RAID 1 drives in, am i right in thinking i could do a firmware upgrade, install server 2016 via Intelligent Provisioning then just plug the other 3 RAID 5 data drives back in and they should just work?

    I have to do this on 9 servers all with about 700GB of data so it will speed things up no end if i can do this without having to wait for data to copy off each server. I have backups if i do kill the data in the process but i don't want to just rely on those. A lot of this data is a quite sensitive being a school.

    I shall test this on 1 server before doing any others but am just trying to gauge time so i can set provisions to cover the work that needs to be done.

    TIA.

  2. #2
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,073
    Like
    408
    Liked 7,558 in 4,281 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    2019 is out, why not use that?

    Why take the RAID5 drives out?

    Are you doing an in place upgrade or a fresh install?


    If its an upgrade it shouldn't touch the data drives, if it's fresh install, just don't wipe the data drives.

    If it's a fresh install you'll probably have to redo all your NTFS permissions if its not domain joined.

  3. #3
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,775
    Like
    2,711
    Liked 2,738 in 1,203 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    I'd leave all the drives in, I presume the data volume has got shares? You'd want the OS upgrade to be aware of them in my opinion.

  4. #4
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,073
    Like
    408
    Liked 7,558 in 4,281 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Also, have you thought of setting each server up as a Hyper-V host and then running the actual 'school' server as a VM on it. Then the VM becomes hardware independent and if the server blows up you can lift and shift the whole thing to another Hyper-V server.

  5. #5
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    2019 is out, why not use that?

    Why take the RAID5 drives out?

    Are you doing an in place upgrade or a fresh install?


    If its an upgrade it shouldn't touch the data drives, if it's fresh install, just don't wipe the data drives.

    If it's a fresh install you'll probably have to redo all your NTFS permissions if its not domain joined.
    Fresh install, as currently have server 2008 on the physical drive.

    Might look at 2019 but we haven't tested at all so risky. We have tested 2016.

    I want to pull the drives just in case, to make 100% sure i cannot accidentally delete the data.

    The DC is virtual and the physical adds as a member server, so i shall have to re-do all my shares but that won't take too long.

    You can't see BIOS or 2016 having any issues with the current RAID 5 drives then?

  6. #6
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    I'd leave all the drives in, I presume the data volume has got shares? You'd want the OS upgrade to be aware of them in my opinion.
    Yep all shares on the data volume.

    I'm just scared of accidentally, or my colleague accidentally deleting data by deleting the wrong partition. It happened once in the path so i get a bit para about it now.

  7. #7
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    Also, have you thought of setting each server up as a Hyper-V host and then running the actual 'school' server as a VM on it. Then the VM becomes hardware independent and if the server blows up you can lift and shift the whole thing to another Hyper-V server.
    That's exactly what we do. We are now also adding the data drive as a virtual drive to make access a lot quick and to allow us to encrypt the data.

    I am just backing up the current 2016 DC VHD and moving it back onto the newly created 2016 physical.

  8. #8
    Should Get Out More Derek Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28,775
    Like
    2,711
    Liked 2,738 in 1,203 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    2019 is out, why not use that?
    HPE only list 2016 as the latest MS OS for G8 downloads.

  9. #9
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Badger View Post
    HPE only list 2016 as the latest MS OS for G8 downloads.
    I also don't tend to touch new OS's until about 2 years after release so they can fix all the bugs before i use it...

  10. #10
    Should Get Out More KungFooBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Forest Moon of Endor
    Posts
    17,073
    Like
    408
    Liked 7,558 in 4,281 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I also don't tend to touch new OS's until about 2 years after release so they can fix all the bugs before i use it...
    2019 looks almost identical to 2016, it's just got some extra bits and bobs to help you move workloads to the cloud.... and two more years of support

    All your RAID config will be on the RAID card, the OS/installer will just see it as a single disk. BIOS or 2016 won't care.

  11. #11
    Should Get Out More Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the Dancefloor
    Posts
    18,920
    Like
    1,086
    Liked 1,400 in 1,009 posts

    Default Re: Server Upgrade Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    2019 looks almost identical to 2016, it's just got some extra bits and bobs to help you move workloads to the cloud.... and two more years of support

    All your RAID config will be on the RAID card, the OS/installer will just see it as a single disk. BIOS or 2016 won't care.
    Cheers. I'm gonna give 2019 a sway as by the time 2016 finishes we shall need to upgrade the server anyway.

    ML350's have issues with NVRAM when installing server 2016 apparently, my colleague as tested and he had to update firmware/BIOS to enable him to install 2016 after removing 2012 as Intelligent Provisioning doesn't recognise any 2016 media.

    Maybe i won't have the same issue but am planning to just in case.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission