TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bike thread!

Liked 5,282 in 2,843 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New bike thread!

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Whatever happened to CAT C - just changed to N?

Weird.

Liked 9,323 in 4,852 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    Whatever happened to CAT C - just changed to N?

Weird.
    As i understand it, here was too much of an overlap between C + D category descriptions, which relied on individuals assessors opinions, so they made more defined guidelines for the damage.

Edit, more info here.

Why are the changes being brought in?

Previously, categories C and D were very much governed by the insurance-estimated cost of repair.
    Category C was used where all related costs exceeded the vehicle's value, while Category D vehicles were judged less expensive to repair than replace.
    In reality, the threshold for write-offs varies, but many insurance companies will condemn a vehicle to the crusher if the cost of repair is more than half its market value.
    As cars become ever more complex, the bill for repairing them has gone up – increasing the likelihood of a write-off.
    This meant some cars that were still usable and safe to drive could end up being scrapped.
    It also encouraged ‘bodged’ repairs in order to return structurally-damaged vehicles to the road, as this issue wasn’t explicitly highlighted.
    The new categories are designed offer drivers and used-car buyers additional clarity, shifting the focus away from merely the cost of repair and highlighting structural issues that affect safety – and must be properly dealt with if the vehicle is to remain on the road.
    Ben Howarth, senior policy adviser at the Association of British Insurers, explained: "The salvage code is a great example of the insurance industry working together for the good of the general public.
    "It’s important the code moves with the times, and this update takes account of two years of consultation and extensive technical scrutiny from Thatcham Research.
    "The changes are focused on making the UK’s roads safer, and ensuring that consumers have transparency about the history of vehicles they are considering buying."
    Last edited by Taipan; 01-05-19 at 09:08.

3. The following user liked this post made by Taipan:

Commuted into London on the bike today. Very impressed. I can see why these are so popular as a commuter. Power is low and starts from tick over. It literally pulls cleanly from idle. I always suspected my 750X was restricted as it seemed very under powered. Now i definitely think it was as this has a lot more grunt than I remember my 750x having? Now, when I say grunt, bear in mind this is a 496lb, 51bhp bike! It carries its weight well though and is actually lighter steering than my Duke was at walking pace, but that and the fuel economy is about the only place it'll score over the Duke!

It either has a stuck caliper piston or a warped (or more likely as its a cat n bent) front disc. No biggie though and easily and cheaply fixed. I rode it home the other night for about 10 miles and left it parked up without even giving it a once over. I'll give it a check over at the weekend as it does seem to have a bit of vibration coming though around 4k, and it may just be the bikes characteristics or maybe wheel bearings or suchlike. Knowing my luck with bikes lately though, its probably a fucked gearbox¬! These things aside it rode well and has a nice little burble from the race can and should be perfect for what I want.

5. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Today I ordered some Buell footpegs. They're about an inch lower. The acute angle of my knee bend with these higher than i'm used to peg height, is starting to cause me problems. So if this doesn't work, expect a new bike thread soon!

Liked 9,933 in 5,729 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    Today I ordered some Buell footpegs. They're about an inch lower. The acute angle of my knee bend with these higher than i'm used to peg height, is starting to cause me problems. So if this doesn't work, expect a new bike thread soon!
    LOL like we're not expecting one already, i'm sure your internet searches are full of XT660Xs.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    LOL like we're not expecting one already, i'm sure your internet searches are full of XT660Xs.

Its like you're clairvoyant!

9. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Taipan:

Should Get Out More the phantom pieman's Avatar
    Liked 1,179 in 775 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
    You realise they will fall off on their own ....

11. The following 2 users liked this useful post by the phantom pieman:

Liked 37 in 10 posts

Another one......i only pop on here every month or so to see what new bikes you and Weeksy have

Congrats etc....roll on the next one.

13. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Ava_Banana:

Liked 9,933 in 5,729 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ava_Banana View Post
    Another one......i only pop on here every month or so to see what new bikes you and Weeksy have

Congrats etc....roll on the next one.
    Sorry to disappoint... but he's providing plenty of entertainment isn't he

15. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 1,645 in 1,072 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    Sorry to disappoint... but he's providing plenty of entertainment isn't he
    I think he's the Ying to your Yang. You buy all the minters, he buys all the mingers.

17. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Supermofo:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission