TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: XVS650 (Drag Star / V Star) rear suspension mot failure

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Default XVS650 (Drag Star / V Star) rear suspension mot failure

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Hi Y'all, newbie here so first post. Hope you can bear with me whilst I explain this.

Bike - Yamaha XVS650 Classic (06 plate)
    MOT Failure - Suspension component modified so the suspension is inoperative or likely to fail other components

I think the tester struggled to find the appropriate failure code/reason because the suspension has not been modified in any way but the reason is legit. There is no bounce on the rear shock at all. I have checked the settings and tested them all using the c spanner all to no avail. I have removed the rear shock and it appears to be in pretty good condition. When changing the load settings using the c spanner, it also appeared to adjust accordingly. I also noticed when removing the shock whilst the bike was jacked up (rear wheel off the ground), the swing arm/rear wheel did not drop to the ground.....

Now my suspicions are pointing me to a swing arm issue, I am thinking swing arm bearings have failed/seized/broken down. I think they are needle style bearings.

I can see that a new set of bearings is not the end of the world financially, but my question is, is the job easy to do with a normal DIY guys garage of tools or is this a 'suck it up' and take it to the garage?

The manual covers removing the rear wheel and shows a nice exploded diagram of the swing arm function and its components but pretty useless after that point.

Any advice and opinions on my fault finding guess being the bearings is greatly appreciated and if anyone has done this job, any insight and tips would be amazing. Equally, if my assumption on the bearings could be incorrect or way off, please shout! Am I able to inspect the bearings without taking the rear wheel off etc?

thanks in advance

Liked 6,927 in 3,916 posts

Default Re: XVS650 (Drag Star / V Star) rear suspension mot failure

How long have you had the bike, has it ever had any 'bounce'?

It's the kind of bike that some owners might 'hard tail'. A previous owner might have done so (but I can't imagine why they'd leave the shock on if they did).

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Thanks for quick reply, I've owned it a year and it was owner by one owner previous who used to 2 up alot. It didn't have a huge amount of bounce when I got it and thought it was quite normal for the type of bike but the mot centre said that should bounce like any other bike and he showed me a similar cruiser style bike

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,218 in 1,949 posts

Sounds like seized swingarm bearings, it's not a particularly difficult job, though getting the old bearings out of the swingarm can be a pig, especially if they're seized.
    Getting the swingarm spindle out might also be a bitch if it's seized into the bearings.
    If you're not confident take it to someone who knows what they're doing

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Sounds like seized swingarm bearings, it's not a particularly difficult job, though getting the old bearings out of the swingarm can be a pig, especially if they're seized.
    Getting the swingarm spindle out might also be a bitch if it's seized into the bearings.
    If you're not confident take it to someone who knows what they're doing
    thanks for reply

Sounds like my assumption could be on the right path, do you know if there is a way to diagnose this easily without taking the wheel off/jacking up etc? I am wondering if I can undo the swing arm bolt & nut, washers etc to at least confirm the condition of the rollers/needles in the bearing before going the full route of dismantling the rear fully.

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

I'd be surprised if the bearings managed to seize solid enough to stop the suspension moving at all. Although I guess it's possible, I'd expect the needles to give an audible creak and resist movement for a good long while before seizing solid.

The core the tester selected fairly well suggests modification. Maybe he saw something you didn't, and kfb is correct about someone e.g. using a locked up shock absorber. So, you need to work out what's failed before going further.

Bash the swingarm pivot out, remove the swingarm from the bike, and see what you've got going on with the bearings. If they're ok, the shock needs replacing. I'm reasonably sure a modern xj600 shock will fit that.

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

Interesting system due to the shaft drive. Looks like there's not really anywhere for the pivot bolts to seize in, should be a home mechanic job, although IDK much about shafties.

https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamah...31/B21/0/35383

I didn't know they were a shaftie, looking at the parts diagram, I think the best option is to take the rear wheel and swingarm out, and work out what is preventing it from moving.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Interesting system due to the shaft drive. Looks like there's not really anywhere for the pivot bolts to seize in, should be a home mechanic job, although IDK much about shafties.

Thats the diagram I mentioned earlier, to me there is no swing arm spindle either but surely the pivot bolts are not the only component that 'rotates' in the swingarm bearing?

The drive shaft adds a level of complexity when removing the rear wheel but shouldn't be over complicated. Thanks for your comments a_morti

Liked 1,063 in 687 posts

I imagine the shaft is bathed in oil? That'll want to o all over the place.

Only way I can see that (without having opened one up) is that the bolt and grub screw/nut are shown as having smooth ends. These must be a bearing fit into the ball bearing (it's not a needle bearing) on each side, and force it against the arm in lieu of a centre spacer.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    I imagine the shaft is bathed in oil? That'll want to o all over the place.

Only way I can see that (without having opened one up) is that the bolt and grub screw/nut are shown as having smooth ends. These must be a bearing fit into the ball bearing (it's not a needle bearing) on each side, and force it against the arm in lieu of a centre spacer.
    hmmm, seeming more complex now if the shaft is full of oil. I googled the bearing part number and a mix of tapered needle bearings and ball bearings seem to come up. I have no issues with dismantling and finding out the hard way but my issue would be if i undo all the bolts/nuts and oil pi$$e$ out then I am stuck with a dodo in the garage as I have no mobile mechanics near by as i will be unable to get it to a garage. May have to concede and let a garage do it. I will get a quote for replacing the bearings, the pain is the labour as always which i always like to try and save on and have a go myself, but this might be out of my ability!

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheYamMan View Post
    Thats the diagram I mentioned earlier, to me there is no swing arm spindle either but surely the pivot bolts are not the only component that 'rotates' in the swingarm bearing?

The drive shaft adds a level of complexity when removing the rear wheel but shouldn't be over complicated. Thanks for your comments a_morti
    If it is also as you say (which I appreciate is just a guess without seeing it) I would wonder why the bearings would seize at all if oil is in this chamber/shaft, as it would/should be permanently lubricated

Looking at pictures on the internet I don't think your shaft is full of oil (fnarr, fnarr) it looks like a car set up where the shaft slides into splines on the back of the gear box.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 0 in 0 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Looking at pictures on the internet I don't think your shaft is full of oil (fnarr, fnarr) it looks like a car set up where the shaft slides into splines on the back of the gear box.
    Apologies I thought a_morti was referring to my swing arm shaft! Nice pun btw lol

Liked 884 in 491 posts

Seems your rear end only moves 3.4 inches overall. Oil will be in the final drive you don't need to remove the oil. There is likely a breather on top of the final drive so place so the oil doesn't piss out when you remove it. Pictures show standard swingarm set up the lugs go through the frame and the pivot end goes into the bearing. If you remove the rear wheel and final drive which should unbolt and the drive plus the shaft should come off normally the drive shaft has splines which just slide into the gearbox output. swingarm should be checked then to see if it goes up and down as it will be free from the drive and shock. If it moves freely and then shock is good tell the tester to eat more
    Diagram of rear setup
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...arm-suspension

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission