TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: North Coast 500

Should Get Out More
    Liked 4,005 in 2,291 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: North Coast 500

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by harum-scarum View Post
    If you're going to Skye and assuming you're going clockwise, consider taking the Corran ferry before you get to Fort William (which is a dump), and the scenic route to Mallaig via Strontian and Salen. Loch Sunart is one of Scotland's most beautiful. The new A830 is not the same as the old Road to the Isles but it is a nice ride. If you arrive around 10.30am the Bakehouse in Mallaig will be taking their sausage rolls out of the oven, best in Scotland. Decent coffee as well. Ferry from Mallaig to Skye isn't expensive by Calmac standards, and I always find a ferry journey adds romance to a tour...

I did most of that today, in a 4.5T van. No tea and bun stop recommendations as I didn't.

Not Much To Do
    Liked 57 in 40 posts

Default Re: North Coast 500

Got back yesterday. Had some very mixed weather with quite a lot of rain but was a good trip. Conclusion is that although it doesn't look very far on the map, it's actually a bloody long way!

Travelling from the Midlands after work, we stayed the first night in York YHA as it's only a couple of hours ride and has some great pubs. The rest of the itinerary went something like:
    Sat: Perth. Visited Scone Castle and ate a scone as that's what you're supposed to do. Great weather.
    Sun: John o Groats. A showery ride over the Cairngorms but great roads. Camped and walked down the road to local pub for food/ beer.
    Mon: Durness YHA. Rode to the proper norf, Dunnett Head, but didn't see any seals. They should net them in and throw beach balls or something. It rained a lot in the afternoon, so no getting the tent out.
    Tue: Applecross campsite. Stunning scenary and stayed dry yay!
    Wed. Oban hostel: Lot of rain again. Did a boat ride on Loch ness but no monster. Again, they need to sort this out for the tourists.
    Thur: Isle of Arran campsite. We were going to go to Jura but the ferry times are geared for people spending 2 nights on the Island, so we went to Arran which is a lot easier and did a really good distillery tour.
    Fri: Hawes YHA. Rain again!

3. The following user liked this post made by tarmacsurfer:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission