TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobless and Homeless

Liked 1,691 in 1,033 posts

Default Re: Jobless and Homeless

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Good move in this climate. You can up sticks and head abroad with all your belongings, close the gate on the way out though or more will follow! Enjoy the adventures and safe travels.

Should Get Out More Kneerly Down's Avatar
    Liked 1,284 in 787 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    He's not really skint see post #4

He's was doing a bit of good ol classic TRC baiting.
    I KNOW!!
    Hence why I said about thought I'd had retiring to live on a yacht for a while.

A Bit Bored
    Liked: 1/1

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Jack View Post
    New alias but late to the party.
    Whatchewtslkinboutwillis?

The job market is flatter than a witchs chest, good luck to anyone that finds themselves looking at the minute

Liked 3,406 in 1,766 posts

Quote Originally Posted by aruf View Post
    Whatchewtslkinboutwillis?

The job market is flatter than a witch’s chest, good luck to anyone that finds themselves looking at the minute
    He isnt looking you tit

Happy trails Proto and enjoy the adventure

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    He isnt looking you tit

Happy trails Proto and enjoy the adventure
    Now now no need to be insulting you lanky scotched egg

Liked 5,513 in 3,447 posts
    Blog Entries

Great. Another alias who knows stuff about us to cause bother.

Right up with rapists and kiddie fiddlers.

Liked 3,828 in 1,895 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kneerly Down View Post
    Hence why I said about thought I'd had retiring to live on a yacht for a while.

I know quite a few people who live on their yacht. They don't do very much sailing - having to stow all the bits of daily life away for a couple of hours sailing and then cluttering up again afterwards is too much of a pain. We used to take a few out now and again just so they could feel the joy. Sail round the world by all means but live aboard? Nah.

A decent camper would be much better imho.

All the best Proto, enjoy the freedom.

A Bit Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Great. Another alias who knows stuff about us to cause bother.

Right up with rapists and kiddie fiddlers.
    If we add wife beaters to the club you could join us

Liked 9,856 in 5,680 posts

Quote Originally Posted by aruf View Post
    If we add wife beaters to the club you could join us
    You dont seem much of a newbie. You do however seem to be a bell-end

10. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Weeksy:

Liked 1,219 in 901 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    You dont seem much of a newbie. You do however seem to be a bell-end
    Genuine lol

Liked 328 in 159 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Is there somebody local to fit them? I had to fit my own.
    Dropped the van off with a really good guy in Studley, Warwickshire

https://studleymotorhomehire.com/

Left it with him overnight and went off to see my sister. He fitted 120W panel, 3 x over specced controller, wiring for a 12V outlet and 5V USB port, changed my tired leisure battery for a new 130ah one and charged (ho ho) me 900.

Fitting the kit is not that difficult but I just didn’t have the resource now to do it myself, but if we decide we need more juice I would fit a second or even third panel myself. Wiring is plug and play, glue the panels on.

My wife does a bit of work online as a moderator/coach/advisor on a commercial health site, quite lucrative, and needs to power up her MacBook. Easy when you’ve got 240V hook up on campsites (van has 240v sockets internally) but less easy off grid. MacBook needs 60W, so USB sockets won’t do it, but with a 12v to 20v charger and solar we should okay off grid. It powers the fridge too.

13. The following 2 users liked this useful post by Proto:

Really Bored
    Liked 680 in 499 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I know quite a few people who live on their yacht. They don't do very much sailing - having to stow all the bits of daily life away for a couple of hours sailing and then cluttering up again afterwards is too much of a pain. We used to take a few out now and again just so they could feel the joy. Sail round the world by all means but live aboard? Nah.

A decent camper would be much better imho.

All the best Proto, enjoy the freedom.
    That's why I bought a motor boat.

Really Bored
    Liked 680 in 499 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Left it with him overnight and went off to see my sister. He fitted 120W panel, 3 x over specced controller, wiring for a 12V outlet and 5V USB port, changed my tired leisure battery for a new 130ah one and charged (ho ho) me 900.

Fitting the kit is not that difficult but I just didn’t have the resource now to do it myself, but if we decide we need more juice I would fit a second or even third panel myself. Wiring is plug and play, glue the panels on.

My wife does a bit of work online as a moderator/coach/advisor on a commercial health site, quite lucrative, and needs to power up her MacBook. Easy when you’ve got 240V hook up on campsites (van has 240v sockets internally) but less easy off grid. MacBook needs 60W, so USB sockets won’t do it, but with a 12v to 20v charger and solar we should okay off grid. It powers the fridge too.

I fitted an over spec controller too. They are actually quite cheap on fleabay. Added a 1200 watt panel. to the 300 watt jobbie. Great for while..but I didn't factor I the mega wind storm we had. I assumed they had been nicked when I arrived bacxk at the boat, but people kept coming over to tell me about watching them helicopter off ( I decided after that cable tie weren't quite the thing).
    I recovered the smaller one a year later....after replacing the cable, it worked, despite a year in brine, and was still working when I sold the boat this year.

Liked 1,336 in 761 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post

I used to charge a Thinkpad with one of these ok overnight from the 90Ah leisure battery in the van. https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk//pno/cuc5092a.html.

In fact - even with two of us, we never needed 240v at all, 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 kindles. Electricity was from the 90Ah battery, charged by either the vehicle alternator (whilst driving), or a 120W rated solar panel via a Victron MPPT controller. We never had a low battery. The lighting is all low-power LED or (IIRC) low watt halogen bulbs.

Mind you - we did NOT have a tv, or any electric cooking devices (microwave or oven). The Fridge, hot water (and air-blown heating), and 2 burners are all powered by gas. The van carries 2 13K bottles which carry LPG - it's a permanently fitted system and works brilliantly - very, very easy to refill at petrol stations.

If you're going abroad, I'd HIGHLY recommend 'park4night' (on android or ios) for finding locations to park up - you can see recent reviews to see if a place is still open or in good condition, and leave your own reviews.

For LPG I used 'fill-lpg' to find gas (still do, even though I think the developer isn't doing much on it anymore).

Unless you find you ABSOLUTELY. MUST. HAVE. 220v electricity supply, then you don't need campsites - just visit an Aire every 2 or 3 days for fresh water and to drop the dirty water.

Well done on getting out of the rat race. (I'd still be out there if I was any good at working online. )

17. The following user liked this post made by RiceBurner:

Liked 328 in 159 posts

Thanks all for replies, especially RiceBurner and Davidat19.

Spent 3 days ambling around Somerset looking at houses. Wanted to cross them off the list before we headed south, but quite despondent, can’t find anything, even with a fairly decent budget. Frome, Bruton, Wells and all the villages around. Either too big, too small, or perfect but in the wrong place. Arghhhh!

Going back to financial man in Solihull to sign off some more dosh for investment then back to van and actually start travelling. Feel it’s time to get going.

PS need to change my location from Bucks/Oxon to, er, ...........

19. The following user liked this post made by Proto:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission