TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: here's a new one: recc me a car without 'too many buttons'. My neighbour....

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,514 in 905 posts

Default Re: here's a new one: recc me a car without 'too many buttons'. My neighbour....

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Must admit thats part of my criteria when looking at vans.
    I'll actively avoid vans that have lecky windows, infotainment systems that are too integrated and whatever.
    I much prefer the ones with a normal radio I can junk and put something from Halfords into its place, if it goes out of date Ill bung another from Halfords in the hole.

I can't be done with the vehicles that are full of dead technology (is it just the ones Ive seen or are Mercs full of dead tech?) and simple things that dont work because of a knackered screen.

Those Teslas with the big touchscreen that controls everything? Fuck that, looks cheap to me. They might be good for autonomous taxis but still don't like the dash.

I love the idea of electric cars but without all the useless tat I see on a few of them.
    Last edited by demographic; 16-05-19 at 20:25.

Should Get Out More Cousin Jack's Avatar
    Liked 2,737 in 1,853 posts

Default Re: here's a new one: recc me a car without 'too many buttons'. My neighbour....

Lets face it, most of the stuff is nice but unnecessary.

My first car had a light switch (off/sidelights/headlight), a wiper switch (on/off), a dip switch (main/dip - on the floor), a speedo, a fuel gauge, 2 idiot lights (oil and ignition) and a key. And a heater - it was the De Luxe version.

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,349 in 2,152 posts

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    (is it just the ones Ive seen or are Mercs full of dead tech?)
    My old Merc (2008 SLK) had dead tech in the form of a single slot CD and radio (other, posher models have even more dead tech in the form of phone/sat nav). I binned it for a new, touch screen unit which simply sucks the stuff from the phone which plugs into a cable in the glove box. I've now got a sat nav via Google maps, voice control, phone, Deezer, and other bits and bobs. Cost just under a monkey fitted, but well worth it as it extends the life of a very tidy little car.

4. The following user liked this post made by gremlin:

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,076 in 1,849 posts

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
    My old Merc (2008 SLK) had dead tech in the form of a single slot CD and radio (other, posher models have even more dead tech in the form of phone/sat nav). I binned it for a new, touch screen unit which simply sucks the stuff from the phone which plugs into a cable in the glove box. I've now got a sat nav via Google maps, voice control, phone, Deezer, and other bits and bobs. Cost just under a monkey fitted, but well worth it as it extends the life of a very tidy little car.
    I'd find that lot distracting, more often than not I just drive the car, I don't have music playing and I only use my GPS if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before.

Liked 6,782 in 3,841 posts

Buy any car.

Tape over all the buttons you don't need with gaffa tape, sorted.

7. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 2,210 in 1,252 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    I'd find that lot distracting, more often than not I just drive the car, I don't have music playing and I only use my GPS if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before.
    well done you

Eating the last biscuit with the Daily Mail reader.
    Liked 4,349 in 2,152 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_Boolean View Post
    Bangin' choons are a must, as is having a loud, shouted conversation with somebody whilst keying in a post code and swerving all over the road. Get with the program, Gramps.

10. The following user liked this post made by gremlin:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,334 in 790 posts

Kia

You asked us to recommend without too many buttons. I only used the K I and A !

12. The following user liked this post made by Jody:

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,334 in 790 posts

Alternatively, if he's not too good on his legs, a higher vehicle will work better. Dacia duster is pretty good and not too many buttons.

Liked 1,285 in 907 posts

If he goes upmarket a bit then everything will be automatic so he won't need any buttons.

Liked 328 in 159 posts

Citroen 2CV. As simple as it gets.

Liked 1,030 in 666 posts

Is he, just perhaps, giving any excuse to get an automatic now he's struggling with the clutch?

Might be a good idea to get something with brake assist if he's really struggling with his legs.

Should Get Out More demographic's Avatar
    Less than fifty miles from Moscow, honest guv...
    Liked 1,514 in 905 posts

Quote Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
    Is he, just perhaps, giving any excuse to get an automatic now he's struggling with the clutch?

Might be a good idea to get something with brake assist if he's really struggling with his legs.
    If he's been in the motor trade its just possible he's worked on a few Italian and French cars and just doesnt want shite electrics running essential items.

Could add British to that list as well.

At Work
    Liked 479 in 314 posts

Anything German. Or German with a Spanish badge

19. The following user liked this post made by Hoonercat:

At Work
    Liked 479 in 314 posts

I bought a Seat Leon ST a couple of hours before I left the UK for a trip across Europe. It took a few minutes to work out what all the buttons did, which was nice. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of options in there, but you have to go looking for them rather than them being presented to you in a multitude of buttons all over the dash. You can pretty much access it all with a single scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission