TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More to it?

Liked 1,285 in 907 posts

Default Re: More to it?

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    Like Al Capone and his tax evasion he's done something else to upset people, probably a political statement they can't publicly chastise him for.

Liked 1,208 in 573 posts

He was basically treating the ships car as his own, taking the piss a bit. With any other matelot it'd be a minor misconduct bollocking (unless he's been a bit liberal with fuel expenses or something) but as the board point out they can't have him dishing out discipline onboard when he's been naughty himself. He'll be shunted into a shit job for a couple of years, then given a command again somewhere.

Liked 1,219 in 901 posts

Quote Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
    He was basically treating the ships car as his own, taking the piss a bit. With any other matelot it'd be a minor misconduct bollocking (unless he's been a bit liberal with fuel expenses or something) but as the board point out they can't have him dishing out discipline onboard when he's been naughty himself. He'll be shunted into a shit job for a couple of years, then given a command again somewhere.
    Sounds like he would be perfect in parliament.

4. The following user liked this post made by Greenman:

Liked 3,140 in 1,639 posts

Those of you saying 'minor offence' have *no idea at all* about the military at the moment.

All green and white fleet are fitted with tracking software. There is zero tolerance of personal use journeys, zero tolerance of speeding, refilling at a motorway service station is banned - even if that means a lengthy detour.

Violations will result in anything from a driver assesment (minor speeding - say 72mph on a m'way), to administrative action (civvy equivalent verbal or written warning etc) for serious speeding of going 'off route' from the authorised journey. And that's the issue here - the guy was abusing his position by driving without a valid authorization in the vehicle docs. He's either very stupid or very naive and arrogant enough to think be could get away with it. And you don't get to be a 4 ringer through being stupid...

Mind, Captain can be an appointment (skipper) or a rank. Pics of the guy show a 4 ringer Captain (rank), and this rank would be about right for the skipper of a carrier. But he's referred to as Commodore repeatedly. That's a 1* rank, so (and it's supposition by me) he may have been promoted out of the post.

6. The following 3 users liked this useful post by balbas:

Liked 2,344 in 1,290 posts

Why is it so strict?

Liked 3,140 in 1,639 posts

Quote Originally Posted by NyseriA View Post
    Why is it so strict?
    There's a thousand answers from 'why not, how should you justify squaddies speeding or using taxpayer funded vehicles for private journeys' to 'bored squaddies come up with bonkers rules to justify their jobs in peacetime'. Ask yambo - he used to be a master driver IIRC, all of this sort of stuff usually emanates from someone with a grand sounding title like that (although the navy probably have some weird term for the same type of post).

Whichever way you cut it, it has an effect on morale...

Should Get Out More Julian_Boolean's Avatar
    Liked 3,076 in 1,849 posts

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    There's a thousand answers from 'why not, how should you justify squaddies speeding or using taxpayer funded vehicles for private journeys' to 'bored squaddies come up with bonkers rules to justify their jobs in peacetime'. Ask yambo - he used to be a master driver IIRC, all of this sort of stuff usually emanates from someone with a grand sounding title like that (although the navy probably have some weird term for the same type of post).

Whichever way you cut it, it has an effect on morale...
    BT had rules just as strict when I worked for them, they weren't enforceable when I worked for them, but I believe the vehicles now have GPS trackers in them and people do get sacked for being off route.

A Bit Bored
    Liked 34 in 25 posts

More " Chiefs " than " Indians "........

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/new...mirals-2605063

Liked 3,828 in 1,895 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by balbas View Post
    Ask yambo . . .

I'm retired!

When I was in the job the other services had no equivalent post so if we had them on our patch they might ask for assistance - but I was in BAOR and didn't even have RAF in my AoR. Interestingly though, the Master Driver post came about because far too many senior officers (army in the main, I'd guess) were finding themselves in court usually as a nominated representative, due to breaches of the various road traffic legislation - this was back in the late 1960s. It was embarrassing enough for the MoD to want to do something about it and so the MD appointment was initiated. The job was basically an advisor to all commanders in the division but it suffered serious mission creep and by the time I got the job we had our fingers in many pies and were deemed by many to be invaluable. We were still advisors working primarily for the GoC commanding the division but had many hats.

I don't know if the other services have MD type posts now but the army have expanded the role and there now seem to be dozens of the fuckers running around. There were only 27 when I was in post. It doesn't surprise me that this guy has been sacked because as balbas says, senior officers seen taking the piss is bad for morale but I'd think it was one thing they could actually pin on him in amongs others but I don't know. Maybe he was a remainer.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 3,941 in 2,260 posts
    Blog Entries

Trackers can also lead to being hunted down by the police if your vehicle drops off the system. Twice in one day if the mobile signal is a bit patchy

13. The following user liked this post made by cheb:

Liked 1,285 in 907 posts

IME the RN and army have completely different rules so comparing the two won't say much. I've seen them forced together in the same places sometimes and they don't gel, they don't even march the same.

Liked 2,735 in 1,942 posts

It seems that the head of the armed forces, General Sir Nick Carter, is concerned over this affair!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ier-commander/

General Sir Nick Carter, the Chief of the Defence Staff, is said to be "concerned" over the treatment of Commodore Nick Cooke-Priest amid claims he misused an official car at weekends.

Cdre Cooke-Priest was ignominiously stripped of his command of HMS Queen Elizabeth, the fleet’s newest aircraft carrier, over an allegation that he drove the ship’s Ford Galaxy in his spare time "like it was his own".

The decision to "reassign" the commodore to another role has sparked misgivings at the very top of the Armed Forces, it is understood, with Sir Nick expressing reservations over the handling of the complaint against Cdre Cooke-Priest.

It is understood the Armed Forces head has raised concerns over whether the allegations were properly investigated and whether Cdre Cooke-Priest was provided with proper representation.

There is also a worry that the commodore with a previously unblemished record has been punished too severely for such a minor alleged misdemeanour.

16. The following user liked this post made by irie:

Liked 5,192 in 2,803 posts
    Blog Entries

^^^^ interesting.
    The easiest way to have dealt with it would have been to change the rules so limited personal use is allowed. The Irony is that he probably qualifies for a driver to ferry him round in a different vehicle.

My Lad is a Junior Rating in training at HMS Collingwood. His view is that although everyone thinks its ridiculous, they have no choice as the rules stand, as otherwise it sets a precedence that being slightly outside the rules is ok, which clearly in the military, its not.

Liked 4,800 in 3,212 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantPygmy View Post
    ^^^^ interesting.
    The easiest way to have dealt with it would have been to change the rules so limited personal use is allowed. The Irony is that he probably qualifies for a driver to ferry him round in a different vehicle.

My Lad is a Junior Rating in training at HMS Collingwood. His view is that although everyone thinks its ridiculous, they have no choice as the rules stand, as otherwise it sets a precedence that being slightly outside the rules is ok, which clearly in the military, its not.
    But being slightly outside the rules warrants a slight punishment. It's why civilian courts have sentencing guidelines, the most obvious being for speeding: 10 mph over = a small fine and three points, 100 mph over = lock him up and throw away the key.

19. The following user liked this post made by saga_lout:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission