TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MZ Racing

Liked 7,242 in 4,085 posts

Default MZ Racing

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm not talking the highly competitive, tuned MZ racing the BMZRC do with BEMSEE... no I'm talking the British Historic Racing MZ Supa 5 Championship.

There was a gaggle of them in the noise testing queue this weekend at Darley Moor, the bikes looked almost stock. They piqued my interest so during the lunch break I went and had a chat.

It's open to pre-84 (because the 85 bike got a disc brake and that's cheating) MZ TS250 Supa 5's (although they will let you race a four speed).

The rules were simple, you have to do all the normal racing stuff, lockwire, numberboards, etc.., but you can't tune them or change the carb, pipes are stock, all body work is stock. The only thing you can change is fork springs and the front wheel (to a Honda one with leading link drum brakes).

They're dog fucking slow.

There were five at Darley, four all circulating together at the back and one midfield (they were out with the racing Bantams and Rudges and stuff).

I want one.

2. The following 14 users liked this useful post by KungFooBob:

+ Show/Hide list of likes

Liked 3,782 in 1,930 posts

Default Re: MZ Racing

LOL

I was involved in the Bemsee MZ racing class through a mate who did a few seasons with me as his general gopher, pit monkey and van driver when he ended up in the med centre.

Its a superb class and really close knit part of the paddock alongside the TZR boys and girls as the budget classes.

Go get one and have a laugh, at least it will be slower if you lob it

4. The following user liked this post made by Bigyin:

I'm seriously tempted.

It's 30/40 to enter a 2nd class. I've been looking at the tinternets and the bikes can be had for between 600-1000 when they actually come up for sale. You can't spend any money on them and a set of tyres would last two seasons!

6. The following user liked this post made by KungFooBob:

Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

Quote Originally Posted by KungFooBob View Post
    a set of tyres would last two seasons!
    So would a tank of petrol.

8. The following 3 users liked this useful post by Pirahna:

Not Much To Do
    Liked 281 in 135 posts

There was a very standard one at Cadwell last year mixing in with the "other" MZers.
    It did stand out , but you could see the fella' was having a larf.
    The one thing I did think was missing was the bottle of 2 stroke oil between the clocks. They were the days.

Liked 3,782 in 1,930 posts

I'm seriously tempted.

It's 30/40 to enter a 2nd class. I've been looking at the tinternets and the bikes can be had for between 600-1000 when they actually come up for sale. You can't spend any money on them and a set of tyres would last two seasons!
    You are going to be there anyway so why not

We used to use TZR125 wheels and forks in the Bemsee class as they could mount a disc brake and the wheel takes slicks

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

I'm seriously tempted.

It's 30/40 to enter a 2nd class. !
    By 'ell. We used to pay about 20 ish for the first class, then extra 2 per class for 2 races. Often we got 6 races for 4 extra. Sometime 8 and a couple of times 10 if the rures allowed

Liked 1,788 in 1,170 posts

The Bemsee series is fantastic racing when I've been. Looks like a right laugh.

Liked 1,101 in 717 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    By 'ell. We used to pay about 20 ish for the first class, then extra 2 per class for 2 races. Often we got 6 races for 4 extra. Sometime 8 and a couple of times 10 if the rures allowed
    They've started using decimalised pounds now though

Courchevel 1650 (winter). Biarritz (summer)
    Liked 1,453 in 859 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
    Back when all this was fields ?

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    Back when all this was fields ?
    Black and white fields.

Liked 2,257 in 1,160 posts

The MZ open class is seriously technical. People cut open exhausts and weld proper expansion chambers inside them. They all use RM250 piston because the MZ one is about a foot long and falls apart over 3,000 rpm. That puts the ports in all the wrong places so they either weld and remachine the cylinders, or fit a reed valve, or both.

Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to bumble along on a standard one, there are so many better bikes to ride for a cheap second entry.

I think that depends on your definition of cheap.

The only other class that loosk 'cheap' is the Bantam series, but some of them have more mods than a BSB race bike!

I found the full Supa 5 regs....

A MZ "Supa/ 5" formula open to MZ TS250 series machines TS 250/1 (Supa/ 5s and four speed TS250)
    Excluded are the later "ETZ" machines). SPECIFICATION: Lights/ glass to be removed, the shell retained. Rear lights may be
    removed. Original silencer to be used - shortened to comply with ACU requirements. Wheel rims to be original spec (rear may be to
    17" to allow for tyre choice). Front brake may be modified or replaced for period drum type i.e. twin leading shoe. Suspension: Front
    Sliders/ stanchion standard, springs to suit rider, rear units to suit rider. Original carburettor with standard bore, air filter optional.
    Handlebars to original mounts i.e. no clip ons. Control levers to riders choice. Mudguards to original specification but free choice of
    materials - i.e. plastic/ alloy. Air box: Side panels to be retained. Rear chain guard optional.

I'm still very tempted, searches suggest that the road bikes sell really cheaply, they just don't come up very often.

Liked 1,461 in 847 posts

I found the full Supa 5 regs....

A MZ "Supa/ 5" formula open to MZ TS250 series machines TS 250/1 (Supa/ 5s and four speed TS250)
    Excluded are the later "ETZ" machines). SPECIFICATION: Lights/ glass to be removed, the shell retained. Rear lights may be
    removed. Original silencer to be used - shortened to comply with ACU requirements. Wheel rims to be original spec (rear may be to
    17" to allow for tyre choice). Front brake may be modified or replaced for period drum type i.e. twin leading shoe. Suspension: Front
    Sliders/ stanchion standard, springs to suit rider, rear units to suit rider. Original carburettor with standard bore, air filter optional.
    Handlebars to original mounts i.e. no clip ons. Control levers to riders choice. Mudguards to original specification but free choice of
    materials - i.e. plastic/ alloy. Air box: Side panels to be retained. Rear chain guard optional.

I'm still very tempted, searches suggest that the road bikes sell really cheaply, they just don't come up very often.

Somewhere, out there, is a TS250 with about 3/4 of an inch machined off the barrel (half way through the top fin), which (allegedly) goes like stink.

The main issue with them is ground clearance on the right side because it's supposedly not possible to use the original pipes and re-route them under the engine.

Mate of mine ran a TS for a year or two some years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission