TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like the content you find here, don't block the ads check them out instead. Thank you.

Thread: Recommend me Tyre sealant for Tubed Tyres

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

Default Recommend me Tyre sealant for Tubed Tyres

TRC is primarily funded by ad revenue. If you like
    the content you find here, don't block the ads check
    them out instead. Thank you.
    I'm looking for a tube sealant to stick in my bag for my trip to France. I've got a tubeless repair kit which I've used with success before on my Tuono, but the Guzzi has tubes (and cast wheels). Hots Tyre Weld says it's for Tubeless tyres only and Slime appears to be something you put in before the puncture (or after and then pump the tyre up.

I want a tin of something that seals and inflates all in one.

Liked 108 in 71 posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommend me Tyre sealant for Tubed Tyres

And would sir like the moon on a stick too?
    Spare tube or puncture repair kit are your options. I'd recommend a tube, as usually a proper puncture completely fubars the tube, and also you can have a go at repairing the tube at your leisure.

Liked 7,242 in 4,085 posts

I'm guessing the rims don't have a safety bead (or whatever they call it) that would allow you to run them tubeless?

If you can 'convert' a wheel to make it tubless, just do the rear, that's were statistically the most punctures happen.
    Last edited by KungFooBob; 21-05-19 at 20:21.

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadlonelygit View Post
    And would sir like the moon on a stick too?
    Spare tube or puncture repair kit are your options. I'd recommend a tube, as usually a proper puncture completely fubars the tube, and also you can have a go at repairing the tube at your leisure.
    I tried replacing a tube in the comfort of my garage with my big tyre levers, plenty of lube and a fan heater to warm the tyre and still nipped the tube. Don't think I'd get very far at the side of the D928.

Liked 108 in 71 posts
    Blog Entries

You cant use a foam/mousse in a tube because a tube has no structural rigidity. Perhaps you need to practice tube changing, once you have the knack it's a doddle, or get some cover from ADAC and carry a tube so they can fix it.

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

You cant use a foam/mousse in a tube because a tube has no structural rigidity. Perhaps you need to practice tube changing, once you have the knack it's a doddle, or get some cover from ADAC and carry a tube so they can fix it.
    Yes you can. When we're out riding Enduro, one of us generally gets a puncture once a month. We all carry the spray cans and we all get home. Half a small can generally sorts it

Liked 1,549 in 803 posts

When I used to green lane the chaps in the TRF liked nothing better than changing a punctured tube. First puncture I got I used a can of tyreweld, next time out they all had it.

Liked 108 in 71 posts
    Blog Entries

So from your experience of using tyre mousse on a light, low speed, rim locked off roader with a thorn prick, you'd advocate using it to fix a nail/screw hole on a 120mph 250kg bike.
    Hmmmm

Liked 5,927 in 3,731 posts
    Blog Entries

So from your experience of using tyre mousse on a light, low speed, rim locked off roader with a thorn prick, you'd advocate using it to fix a nail/screw hole on a 120mph 250kg bike.
    Hmmmm
    Yes. To get you home or to a garage.

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

Having had a puncture on the ferry before in a brand new tyre which I plugged before getting a new tyre, I just want something to get me to a garage rather than waiting at the side of the road somewhere. I can do tyres on off roaders even with clamps but a road bike with limited tools will be beyond me. I don't want to carry tools to remove a wheel (front and back need different tools), tyre levers, front and rear tubes.
    When I had my first Le Mans back in the early 80s unknown to me the previous owner had filled the rear tyre full of mousse I rode it for 6 months at speed and didn't know about it until I got new tyres and the valve was totally loose.
    I've got Pilot Active tyres on which are tubed/tubeless and the Le Mans could run without tubes BUT they don't have the additional tyre bead ridge normal tubeless rims have.
    Thanks for the debate. I think I'll get some tyre weld for emergency get me home use but I'm not going to get a puncture.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 891 in 519 posts

Do you mean a "tubed tyre has no structural rigidity"?

Most of the tubed fitment tyres these days are actually dual purpose - they fit tubeless rims too.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 891 in 519 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziPaul View Post
    I'm looking for a tube sealant to stick in my bag for my trip to France. I've got a tubeless repair kit which I've used with success before on my Tuono, but the Guzzi has tubes (and cast wheels). Hots Tyre Weld says it's for Tubeless tyres only and Slime appears to be something you put in before the puncture (or after and then pump the tyre up.

I want a tin of something that seals and inflates all in one.
    Slime is indeed something you put in the tube before you ride. It stops the tyre going flat when the tube is punctured because the fibres in the gloop seal the hole. We used to use it on the fleet of training 125s with tubed tyres, and it was a godsend - saved us having to recover the bikes on a trailer. Sometimes we would find that a tyre had gone flat overnight, but far better than being stranded out of town with an unrideable bike. I'd seriously recommend you think about it.

I've used Tyreweld on tubed wheels in extremis, but the tube sometimes splits when punctured, and if that happens you'll just fill the flat wheel with mucky, horrible foam that squirts straight out of the tube again, so the tyre stays flat. And when you do come to change the tube, the rubbery mess left behind is a REAL bugger to clean out.

13. The following user liked this post made by The Spin Doctor:

Liked 108 in 71 posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Spin Doctor View Post
    Do you mean a "tubed tyre has no structural rigidity"?

Most of the tubed fitment tyres these days are actually dual purpose - they fit tubeless rims too.
    No, I mean a tube has no structural rigidity. Much like a balloon.

As your erstwhile friend has said, usually with a puncture in a tube, it splits and you end up with a flat tyre full of tyre jizz.

At Work
    Liked 462 in 244 posts

My intention is to take both the Tyre Weld and my tubeless repair kit which should be enough to get me to a garage/home, as the tyre is dual purpose and the Le Mans has run with these tyres on and no tube. It was the lack of the additional bead grip and the very slow loss of pressure that made me put tubes in.

I've got breakdown cover but I like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Should Get Out More
    Liked 891 in 519 posts

No, I mean a tube has no structural rigidity. Much like a balloon.

As your erstwhile friend has said, usually with a puncture in a tube, it splits and you end up with a flat tyre full of tyre jizz.
    Which friend

When an untreated tube punctures, it goes flat in milliseconds. I've had a number of blowouts over the years and I was lucky to survive one - the front punctured, went flat immediate, and the bike sat up mid-corner, and went straight through oncoming traffic... into a layby on the other side of the road. How I missed everything and stopped I had no idea.

And that's one of the reasons we used Slime in a fleet of 125s at the training school, and I can honestly say that it does what it says on the plastic bottle. It stops sudden deflation. On occasion we found the tyre flat next morning which was inconvenient, but sometimes we'd find a nail in a tyre which was still holding its pressure.

And because it's water soluble, you can wash it out, unlike the rubber gloop in the aerosol cans that seal and inflate at the same time.

If you're going to run tubes, then I'd recommend it over the Tyre Weld - if the tube splits when it punctures, which they sometimes do, then the Tyreweld won't achieve anything.

Go Back to Forum My Forum

TRC Affiliates - Help TRC make a small amount of commission